• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JeremyG

JeremyG

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

This is the bird we adopted about a month ago. It's really interesting, when we made our 3 visits to the foster home, Ripley pretty much only liked me, and seemed nervous on my wife's hand/arm.

We got her home and now Ripley pretty much HATES me, but LOVES my wife. That's fine, I have Sammi now! :)

Ripley has at least 50 words in her vocab, and seems to add 1 or 2 a day, plus she has started singing some song, we don't recognize it but it's a full song (probably learned it at her previous home).

She also calls our dogs all day long, "Scrabble, Scrabble-dabble", and Scrabble isn't very smart so he comes every time and looks around trying to figure out who is calling him! She also calls "Oreo" who is very smart and only fell for it a couple times. And, she knows our youngest son's name and says hi to him by name when he walks in the room. When she wants my wife, she screams "MOTHER, Oh, God, MOTHER!" which is a bit annoying but still funny.

Ripley seems VERY smart, considering she puts words with objects and with actions... our understanding is that is pretty rare even with Amazons...

This is Ripley's bath from a couple days ago:

And another, she keeps getting interrupted by our Sunday Conure (Ani) who is free flighted and REALLY wants to join in the bath, keeps flying overhead.

Since when do we have some obligation to 'respect' another's opinion if said opinion is factually, morally, or socially wrong? On the contrary, we have an obligation to educate that person as to the facts. Respecting an incorrect opinion is weak and in itself is morally wrong. Please, quit bowing to the pressure to "get along" and start standing up for the facts!

#2 Melissasparrots

Melissasparrots

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:35 AM

Pretty bird. My amazons put words and actions together more than words and objects. If I present my hand for one bird to step up, usually one of the amazons will tell them to step up before I do. Is Ripley a pucker? I just ask because I noticed you were using a special spray for her bath.
It looks like you have a couple of really great amazons.
Melissa

#3 JeremyG

JeremyG

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

Oh, no Ripley doesn't pluck at all, that's actually regular water (bottled water). It's just a bottle we had from a while back and it makes a nice mist - we refill it.
Since when do we have some obligation to 'respect' another's opinion if said opinion is factually, morally, or socially wrong? On the contrary, we have an obligation to educate that person as to the facts. Respecting an incorrect opinion is weak and in itself is morally wrong. Please, quit bowing to the pressure to "get along" and start standing up for the facts!

#4 JeremyG

JeremyG

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

This is nowhere near Ripley's 'best' talking, but she was going on-and-on this morning.

The "dar dar dar" is something our teenager taught her, on purpose to sound "dumb". That's a teen for you. She calls the dog who finally has figured out not to come when called by the bird. She calls out for my wife ("Mother" must have been from the previous owner), and then starts on a song we've been working on...

#5 JeremyG

JeremyG

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Today is Ripley's BIRTHDAY! She turned 18 today! Finally legal age! :)

#6 JeremyG

JeremyG

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:30 AM

I'm going thru and updating all my bird's threads... not much to add with Ripley's story other than she still HATES me and my older son. She tolerates my wife but absolutely LOVES LOVES LOVES our 8yo son. I mean that kid can do ANYTHING with Ripley and she loves it. It's great for our son and great for Ripley - we help him take care of her but it's "his" bird and I'm pretty sure will be a life-long companion for him (with our back-up just in case his life turns in a way that he can't keep her). I'll try to get some more Ripley videos up soon, but no promises...

#7 Johnni Gade

Johnni Gade

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Thats not a blue-fronter?
African Greys: Thor & Luna

#8 JeremyG

JeremyG

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

We had our doubts too, but not only the experts at the rescue, but also our vet and a very well respected breeder here in Vegas have confirmed it is. Very little blue, but it's a BF. The breeder at first thought maybe it was a (something)-factor (can't remember the term)... but then looked closer and said it's definately a blue fronted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users