7 replies to this topic

#1 niyaha

niyaha

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

hi. looking for some thoughts/advice here....I live in a small place...have a sun conure who is very bonded to me, he is 7 months old...have finches and two dogs. A woman has a nine year old male eclectus who is blind in one eye. She says he is very tame but is plucking a little lately due to all the hectic activities in the home all of a sudden...the woman is having another kid and they are moving and she wants to give him to a good home with a routine as she thinks her upcoming move and baby will not be fair to the bird, and as stated he is starting to pluck.

I guess my concerns are if the sun and the ecky will get along. I will have two cages but when hanging out will most get along ok? what about jealousy? my sun wants to be on me all the time. his wings are clipped so I make him stay on his perch a lot as it was getting too out of control w/ him wanting to be on my shoulders all the time. I am home a lot and my dogs are outside mostly and both are big but afraid of my conure!

I have a spare bedroom that the sun sleeps in and am thinking/ hoping I could put two sleep cages in there and then two living cages in my dining/kitchen area by the window which is where the conure resides now during the day.

I just don't know what to do. I want a Grey really bad too but love what I read about Eckies too. But then don't want to get in over my head so to speak nor ruin the tameness and bond with the sun.

sorry this was long....thanks...

#2 sassie

sassie

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 802 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

the likelihood of them getting along is slim! Dont just take the Ekkie in because you feel bad, its a very intense thing to properly care for an ekkie. If you really want a grey this badly do the Ekkie a favor and let someone else adopt her. Stick with your grey, because its what you want :)
I am a very blunt & honest person. I dont sugar coat things that i say. If I offend you please feel free to PM me I am always willing to work out any confrontation

Find your local AVIAN VET here Please expect no less then the best for your parrots health! http://www.aav.org/search/index.php :clover:

#3 sodakat

sodakat

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2292 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

You may find that the Eclectus fulfills the desire you have for a Grey. I've owned both. They are similar in size and talking ability. Eclectus are *GENERALLY* more willing to be friends with more than one person.

It has been my experience that Eclectus, unlike Greys, tend to mimic human speech as opposed to household sounds, but of course not all birds talk. Taking in an adult would mean you would know if he was a talker.

Depending on the Eclectus' temperament, he may have no interest in your Sun, but there is always the chance that any larger bird could hurt a smaller bird, regardless of species, so of course you would need to supervise them when they are out together.

I say meet the bird then take some time to think things over (famous last words!) if you can stand to not take him home with you right then!

Posted Image

#4 Simon Yoshi and Buddy

Simon Yoshi and Buddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:03 AM

I suggest rescuing him and giving him a chance at life! That is if you are willing to take care of it but judging by your post I suggest you are. If you do chose to rescue it, be aware of their special dietary needs. : D

#5 niyaha

niyaha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

Thanks everybody for your input. She says he is very tame and that she has dogs/cats/ and a green cheek conure but the Ekie wants nothing to do with the conure but does not hurt it etc.
I think I am going to wait and let someone with more experience get him. It is a five hour drive just to meet him, which I am willing to do but just not sure. I have such a good relationship with my conure and don't want to ruin that. A woman at a bird shop in Rapid said to me '' birds are like popcorn-you just want more, but be careful as you don't want them to just become ''work." I keep thinking about that statement. Thanks.

#6 sodakat

sodakat

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2292 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

Where is he? I like popcorn, and I'm in South Dakota.

Posted Image

#7 niyaha

niyaha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hi. He is in Omaha. Far drive but have done it before to get finches. I can give you her info if u want it. Where are u at ? I am in Mission on the Rosebud.

#8 sodakat

sodakat

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2292 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

I'm northeast of Watertown. Yes, PM me her info if you will. Not sure I want to take him on, but I'll give her a call.

Thanks,

Kathy

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users