Photo
- - - - -

What can anyone tell me about Parrotlets?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Budgie97128

Budgie97128

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2309 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

I bought a pair of Parrotlets last night. I felt bad for the little guys and their condition. I am not keeping them, I am taking them to my mother within the next few days or so, after they see the vet. They are a green female and blue male. Roughly 1-3 years old. I don't know a thing about them though, I've never even seen one until last night. My mother doesn't know either but I am assuming their care is similar to a Budgie. They were once tame and now just semi-tame after not being worked with in a long time. The female will bite but she will hop onto a finger. The male is more scared. He flew out last night and I had to grab him. He though did not bite but instead played dead in my hand, laying on his back staring up at me. He constantly says "Pretty Bird" over and over and over. They are adorable little things but they are constantly bickering like an old married couple. Fighting one minute, cuddling the next.
Would love some information on them, anything anyone can tell me so that I can pass it onto my mom. I can easily google stuff but would rather see what experienced owners say.
My mom was asking me about egg laying as well since I was told the female has layed eggs but never hatched. I was also told they were mating recently. She has no interest in breeding them but would be nice to know about their breeding.
I fed them some of my Budgie's seed and Zupreem pellets and they ate both. The seed mix they came with was covered in bugs which looked like gnats or something.
I'll get some pictures of the two later on. They appear to be dirty looking but I don't know if that is just their natural coloring or what.

Posted Image
Also, Two Budgies - Four Parrotlets - & some four legged fur monsters.

R.I.P Ichigo - Budgie :i.seki3:

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

The green parrotlets can eat just about anything but shouldn't have their diet more than 25-50% pellets. The color mutations, even the splits, need much less to no pellets. *IF* you feed pellets, they should be all natural/organic pellets with no dyes and natural preservatives - but even then, it may not be a good idea to feed pellets...

Pellets & Mutations

Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 Budgie97128

Budgie97128

• Members
  • 2309 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:49 AM

Really no pellets? That's interesting to know. Too bad too since they took to them so easily.

Posted Image

#4 Budgie97128

Budgie97128

• Members
  • 2309 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Took some pictures of the two.
Wondering if I need to go out and buy another cage and separate them. They are constantly fighting and they can get very loud. The female (green one) is a bully towards the blue male. They do cuddle and preen each other when not fighting though. Could just be from stress and being here though but she won't let him eat from the dishes if she is eating.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Powder

Powder

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the pics.! Love the little Blue one on his back in your hand. I don't have any experience about keeping them together or separating them...maybe have available alwalys two seed cups, two water cups...so they can both eat at the same time. And if possible a way for one to get away if needed....but I don't know how that could work in just one cage...
Little Jimi Hendrix, green singing finch
Little Wing, Baby Parrotlet 1/20/12
Peanut, JRT
Coco, misfit mutt
Penny, JRT
Squash Blossom, hen
Lava, hen
Ruby, hen
Misc. fish

#6 Budgie97128

Budgie97128

• Members
  • 2309 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

I ended up separating them after seeing that the female would not let the male eat. There was two bowls of food and two of water and it was still a no go, she would still attack him. My mother decided she only wanted one of them (the green female) and so I kept the blue male. They're both doing great now. The male has been eating a lot, talking and bathing. I think he may have enjoyed his divorce from the female. He's also been cuddling with me but he does bite when I remove him from my shoulder. Something we need to work on.
My mother called last night and said the female was also doing good and spending a lot of time out of the cage with her.
Found out though this male (Spike it what I named him) has a pretty good vocabulary and hearing different things from him daily.

Posted Image

#7 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:21 AM

They are lovely, and it's good to hear that things have worked out well!

Spike probably enjoys spending time up on your shoulder, so you need to teach him that it can also be fun coming down!

Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users