Photo
- - - - -

Help me ID this bird (Phoenix area-- never seen before)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 usamma

usamma

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1762 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:32 AM

I have lived in Phoenix area my whole life and have never seen this type of bird until today. It was at my feeder several times and was the only one of its kind. It looks a lot like pictures of a red-winged blackbird but much smaller. It's about the size of a mourning dove. All black with bright red shoulders that display dramatically under the wings when it takes flight.

We have several smaller migrant birds that visit the feeder this time of year but like I said I have never seen this kind of bird.

(It's exciting to see the other migrants such as cardinals and chickadees, as well as small flocks overhead of Canada Geese, pelicans, various kinds of ducks. Normally we just have sparrows, mourning doves, and cow birds-- though I did see a roadrunner the other day, and we also have hawks).

#2 msfresh01

msfresh01

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

someone lost their African Grey..Oh no-they are worth several hundred dollars-catch that bird!

#3 msfresh01

msfresh01

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

oh my bad....they are called Milo. I was describing your photo-

#4 ConureKidd

ConureKidd

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

1st does it have a hook bill and x feet. like is it a parrot. if not, then dont catch it, leave it alone and watch it.
we have em here in so cal too. really pretty. is this the bird??
Posted Image

Thankyou so much for my WONDERFUL sig macawpower58!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users