Photo
- - - - -

Is having a rose breasted cockatoo, like having a larger cockatoo?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eido

Eido

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

Are they as needy, destructive, self-destructive, loud, ect as other cockatoos? I've read that they are more closely related/similar to a cockatiel, which I really like. A cockatiel on steroids would be a dream come true to me! If that's true?

I've been reading about them, and watching youtube videos of them and I'm absolutely smitten with them. But the fact that they are a cockatoo, has me being very cautious about the idea of getting one. I really, really love the idea of having one, and free flight training it. Which would be really helpful for it's health since they are prone to fatty tumors.

Could an rb2 handle someone who worked a normal work schedule and wasn't home full time unlike other cockatoos? Currently, I'm only away from the house MWF 8am-2pm. Which I'm sure any bird could handle. But realistically, in a couple years I'll probably be gone M-F 8am-5-6pm. So I wouldn't want to get a bird that would be miserable in a few years because of my decision to get one.

I currently have a caique, and he's pretty good at rolling with the punches: Ie: he handles change very well. I don't have him on any kind of routine at all, and he seems to be thriving on it. I know that other cockatoos would not like this one bit, but would a rose breasted?

There's so many websites and they all have very vague information about them, I want specific nitty gritty hour by hour detail and I'm just not finding it, do you know of any good(trustworthy) websites I can learn from?

Thanks!

Edited by Eido, 03 April 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#2 critterstuff

critterstuff

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

I have a young male Rosie and he is a delight to have around. He seldom screams, only when he gets really excited. He talks, however very fast, he tries to imitate everything I say. He play peek-a-boo, he is just a joy. He does produce a lot of dust, but I can handle that. I work at home so, even though I am in another room, I am not with him constantly. I had a U-2 and he was much louder, much more destructive, and much less comical, even though I loved him also, he was a rescue and was about 30 yrs. old.
Actually, I am looking for a Rose Breasted Cockatoo breeding pair at this time. I will not buy anything from the internet, though, because of the scammers out there.

Edited by critterstuff, 15 May 2011 - 06:00 PM.
Change signature

Diana
www.critterstuffandmore.com
Under major re-construction

#3 critterstuff

critterstuff

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

Intuit® Small Business | Accounting Software, Pay by Mobile, Free Website Builder
under major re-construction
Diana
www.critterstuffandmore.com
Under major re-construction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users