Photo
- - - - -

Red factor canary, what to feed? male or female?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sweetsong

sweetsong

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:55 AM

so when i was selling two of my extra male spice finches today, that was the plan anyways. and i was telling the guy how I'd originally wanted a canary, but my husband didnt want to pay the stores prices for one. and he just happened to have one in the car and was planning on taking it somewhere else. he offered to trade and of course i said yes, i've always wanted a canary. anyways, i was wondering what i should feed him/her. all i have right now is finch food, finch egg food, and songbird conditioning treat, i mixed all 3 together and put that i his her cage. the guy had a piece of broccoli in the carrier he/she was in so i put that in there too. I'm thinking of getting the food from either the Kahoots natural/holistic store or the local ourfeatheredfriends store. but any hints on what exactly would be best for him/her. the colors not the best. i read up one natural color boosters and so far have a list of, berries, beets, tomatoes, cherries, carrots, sweet potato, and broccoli. anything else? are persimmons good/safe, we have a persimmon tree and last years bounty was HUGE i'm expecting a crazier harvest this year with all the rain we had. I know all the local songbirds love them. also, is singing the only way to tell if its a male female. i'm thinking its a baby or at least young, ts curious but very shy like most baby birds i've met, it likes it when i whistle songs. it tweet tweets at me and does this little swueeeee!! sound. sooo cute. he's some pics, from a distance looks pink, but up close is orangey under with fire red splotches all over. kinda mottled. is this a certain type of color or just from not being fed properly. i didn't get much info from the guy i was so caught up int he i'm finally getting a canary thing.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Whatever you're good at find a way to use it to help the ones that need you.
my furry children

Kitties tigerlily mainecoon mix
Donnie Darko black oriental mix
and Zeff the wolf hybrid
and Rhoslyn the GSD

#2 christie99

christie99

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

There is a safe/dangerous food list on the link in my sig line, I don't recall if persimmons are safe or not. This guy is in dire need of a nail trim and I would keep him away from your current birds. Quarantine is essential. I would do a google search to find out what the best food is to feed him, I do know that many canaries need red factor food to retain the red color, but I don't know how often it needs to be fed.

#3 sweetsong

sweetsong

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

he/she is i separate cage. should i get the sand covers for the perches to trim his/her nails or try and clip them? i have one sandy type gritty perch in their. i have the cage attached to the wall so the cats cant knock it down, it does make it hard to attach things tho
my furry children

and Zeff the wolf hybrid
and Rhoslyn the GSD

#4 christie99

christie99

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

If you can be calm about it, I would trim the nails with a pair of nail clippers. It is a little difficult since you need to hold the bird in one hand, but it can be done. If you are scared to do it yourself, call around to some vets and ask what they would charge to show you how to trim the nails and do it for you. I need to trim my finches nails about 1-2 times a year.

Sandpaper perch covers are pretty much crap. They don't do anything but make the perch rough on the feet. if you look, the nails barely touch the perch, so it won't do anything.

A seperate cage isn't quarantine, sorry. They need to be in a seperate air space. I have info on my site about it under the medical and emergency tab.

#5 sweetsong

sweetsong

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

i'll move him/her to the bedroom, just clipped the nails, was very calm i'm shocked. only tried to bite me once then let me scratch his/her head. heartbeat wasnt too wild. i read somewhere that you ca look at the vent? to tell if its a boy or girl? is this true? what is the vent? what does it look like. does anyone have pictures of a boys vs a girls? since he/she is so easy to handle i might try that.
my furry children

and Zeff the wolf hybrid
and Rhoslyn the GSD

#6 christie99

christie99

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:07 PM

Not true at all. Cjecking the pelvis/vent is a guess. The vent is the pooper, :).

If your bird is male, it will eventually sing.

#7 sweetsong

sweetsong

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:53 PM

are canaries okay as single birds? i mean i know a lot of people keep them as single birds but are they really okay single? i mean will he/she be happy single? he/she keeps trying to get to my fiches, it makes me wonder if he/she is lonely
my furry children

and Zeff the wolf hybrid
and Rhoslyn the GSD

#8 sweetsong

sweetsong

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:39 AM

when i whistle songs to it, it hops from perch to perch, making a BEEEEEEEP! noise. i saw a video of a female canary responding to a males song in this manor making the same noise. does this mean i have a pretty little girl? i'm trying to figure out if its a he or she so i ca start looking for pretty names. my husband wants to call it either Jones or johnny boy if its a boy. if its a girl i want it to have a prettier name
my furry children

and Zeff the wolf hybrid
and Rhoslyn the GSD

#9 Phoenix21

Phoenix21

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:35 AM

You might play some songs of male canaries singing on youtube and see if the bird is interested. If he is a young male though he might pick up snippets of the songs (if he hears them enough) and incorporate them into his own. Congrats on the new addition and successful nail clipping. Be glad it's a canary and not a conure...lol Atara always tries to eat me alive.
:sun2: - Atara, the Jenday Conure

#10 sweetsong

sweetsong

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:02 AM

absolutely no reaction to canary songs, i'll try hooking up the speakers, maybe its not loud enough for her to think they're real. she did start the beeep! noise again when i was playing Evanescence on them earlier.
my furry children

and Zeff the wolf hybrid
and Rhoslyn the GSD

#11 sweetsong

sweetsong

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

i think she's too tired now, she's watching and paying attention to the songs. i went through about 10 videos, but not very reactive
my furry children

and Zeff the wolf hybrid
and Rhoslyn the GSD

#12 sweetsong

sweetsong

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:05 AM

ITS A BOY!! he sang to Evanescence, he has good taste in music. his name is MR Jones,
my furry children

and Zeff the wolf hybrid
and Rhoslyn the GSD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users