9 replies to this topic

#1 DeucesOverTres

DeucesOverTres

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:05 AM

Ok I took everyones advice and went out and bought me a male quaker (blue) and a female quaker (green), got them a pretty nice cage too. They have been in the same cage for about 8 months at there prior home but were never given a nest box, they said no eggs etc... so My question is, where do I get a nest box at and what's the proper way to put it in the cage? do I hang it from the corner or.. ? how big of a nest box? can I build one? is there anything else that there is to do other than :
Male + Female who get a long
Cage, Nest Box
.. what else do I need to do?

#2 KiwiBird1980

KiwiBird1980

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 3361 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

This article may help you: Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Breeding The Quaker Parrot

May I ask what became of the macaws? Did you decide to keep them as pets?
Kiwi ~ Sun Conure ~ D.O.H 5/10/10 :sun2:

R.I.P VooDoo ~ Cockatiel :i.kame1:

"I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to Heaven." ~ Emily Dickinson

Posted Image

#3 DeucesOverTres

DeucesOverTres

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

Well I have a Double Macaw Cage that will be here tomorrow, I am going to put them both in that (because currently the males cage is to small and the females is bigger, allowing her to climb higher and "dominate" him as i've read). The male really is my buddy I just love him dearly, the female is sweet to but I haven't bonded with her like I have him.. I don't know whether I should try and breed them or not so I am just going to keep them as pets for now and breed the quakers plus any other smaller species I pick up. Maybe later on down the road once I am more knowledgeable and more experienced I will give the macaws a shot.

#4 ConureKidd

ConureKidd

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

Cool. I'm glad your gonna take the baby steps. That's real responable and the key to become a reputable breeder.
You must post pics. I love Quakers but there illegal here :(
Posted Image

Thankyou so much for my WONDERFUL sig macawpower58!!

#5 JeremyG

JeremyG

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:03 PM

the females is bigger, allowing her to climb higher and "dominate" him as i've read). .

Well you read wrong... there is no "domination" in the parrot world. Especially based on "height". At least that's what the vast majority of current experts believe. Can you post the link where you saw this?
Since when do we have some obligation to 'respect' another's opinion if said opinion is factually, morally, or socially wrong? On the contrary, we have an obligation to educate that person as to the facts. Respecting an incorrect opinion is weak and in itself is morally wrong. Please, quit bowing to the pressure to "get along" and start standing up for the facts!

#6 ConureKidd

ConureKidd

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

Acually parrots rank based off age. Not really dominace but they will attempt to "rule" one another.
There's never a mutral understanding. Someone always has the upper hand. But not really dominace as to be dominate includes aggression. Which is usally never the case. There like a Mimic of human culture. It's amazing!!!

Your macaw just wants to be at the Highest point of the cage.
That's all birds though. They wanna be on top of the world lol
Posted Image

#7 Trapper

Trapper

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:39 AM

Just a little suggestion. It might be a good idea if you look up some information on hand feeding before you breed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 ConureKidd

ConureKidd

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

That's what the breeder is for. To teach the handfeeding 101 lol
Posted Image

#9 Trapper

Trapper

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

It didn't sound to me that he had a breeder to help him. But that was just an assumption.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 OPG

OPG

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

I usually hang the nest box on the outside of the cage. It gives the breeders more room in their cage.

Lan
www.africangreyparrotbreeder.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users