• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Trapper

Trapper

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

Parents get 12 years for not securing their snake.

http://www.orlandose...0,6052469.story
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 Moonfall

Moonfall

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

Sadly, this is what gives snake keepers such as myself such a bad rep. They're fools, not only was the poor thing HORRIBLY underweight (18 pounds is awful for an 8 footer!), it was hungry, and it was supposed to be contained by a flimsy piece of fabric. My snake, who is a foot or so long right now and will never be any danger at all, is kept in a LOCKING glass enclosure, which is fuly enclosed. She will never escape. I do this for a TINY snake- it should be common sense to secure a snake easily large enough to kill a dog, cat, or child.

It is irrisponsible, cruel, and incredibly stupid for people to do things like this, and it was totally thier fault. Sadly, many people who buy snakes such as burmese pythons are apt to do these things because they want a "wow" factor pet. This causes the whole hobby to suffer, and is why there are wild BPs in florida right now. I am very happy to hear the poor snake is being cared for.
Owner of a lovebird named Teshi.

RIP Angel and Shadow. Mommy loves you.

#3 Trapper

Trapper

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

I have been following this case for awhile. They only fed this snake when they could get road kill squirrel. He hadn't eaten for over a month. SHe got this snake when she was 14, she is now 21. This happened 2 years ago. So in the five years she had it, it is only 8.5 ft. Mine have always gotten to that size in 1 1/2 to 2 years. They also used a quilt for a cover. Their stupidity killed a child

But you are incorrect about the Fl Burmese problem. That is what politicians and animal rights activist say. But every field biologist says it was hurricane Andrew. I had a friend that lost more than 1000 Burmese when that hit No way they all died. Here is a short video about that with Tom Crutchfileld. He is very well known in the herp world

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Moonfall

Moonfall

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Some people do just turn them loose- I see it with rats, mice, and snakes. It's the easy way out for irrisponsible owners.

My snake hasn't eaten in two weeks, but it's not for lack of effort. She shed last weekend but still won't take food, I'm trying again today or tomorrow, maybe saturday.

#5 ConureKidd

ConureKidd

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Wow. As a burm owner this is an act of such irresponsiblity it's not even funny.
First an 8 foot 13lbs for a 21 year old!!!!! Males should be 11-15 feet at the age 100 + pounds.
As for a female they get 13-20 20 very rare. 150-200 lbs.
Also Burmese pythons are escape artists and MUST be kept in a locking slide lid until there big to a point of a larger cage. In which should be glass but cage. Thre strike can and will break the thicket glass. There EXTREAMLLY POWERFUL and that's what people need to understand. Also big snakes require less feedings however once a month is the typical 10+ foot snake feeding schedule. Basically this snake was starved and he was hungry for anything size relevant. Which is sad they led the snake to this kinda act. Sad. A child dies and big snakes get a huge bad rep for it. I tell you my boas and python will never eat a child. All mine eat weekly and are at weight and proper growth schedule.
Posted Image

Thankyou so much for my WONDERFUL sig macawpower58!!

#6 Moonfall

Moonfall

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

Conure, mine eats weekly as well, I'm worried sick because she won't eat right now. She's still very small, a foot or so in length, and quite young. She was underweight when I got her. I really want my little one to eat.

(She's a sand boa.)

#7 Trapper

Trapper

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

It would have been better if they turned this loose. They used a quilt for a lid and safety pinned the corners. These are the people that make it look bad for everyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 Trapper

Trapper

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

It would have been better if they turned this loose. They used a quilt for a lid and safety pinned the corners. These are the people that make it look bad for everyone.

Moon, if someone turned one loose in your area it wouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't make it through the winter. There are so many wholesalers in Florida that would take it and sell it, there is no reason to turn them loose. When this information came out (most) politicians even quit saying it was irresponsible owners. The math works
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 Moonfall

Moonfall

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:13 AM

I know, it would die, but we do get them dumped in dumpsters around here. I've spoken to some of the herpetologists and societies who take them in, along with tortises, iguanas, etc. Turning them loose does happen, and usually the snake just dies- florida just has an environment they can survive in.

#10 ConureKidd

ConureKidd

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

Well if cared for these creatures are friendly and and sweet and are fantastic creatures.

I have a Columbian rainbow boa. 4 feet 2240 grams.
Hatchling Burmese python. 2 feet 200 grams
Nicarogrion red tail boa. 5 feet 20 lbs.
And a baby corn snake. Barly 14 inches and 50 grams
Posted Image

#11 Trapper

Trapper

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Burmese are the perfect pet if you are into snakes and have the room. If well fed and handled alot most stay pretty tame. My only problem with them is the room. I have had many that got to be giants. I never had any fear for my children. It just takes common sense.

I know when something goes wrong people like to have something they like to point a finger at like "Irresponsible pet owners" but that was not the case in Florida. It has been proven. I am not saying that no one has ever released any, but it didn't cause the problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 ConureKidd

ConureKidd

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

Yea iv known that for while. Ever since I first found out about the wild burms.
Hurricane Andrew. That's the work of god IMO. Kinda funny how mother nature works. Considering I recently read that gators were in the mass. They eat eachother keeping the population on point. Im no resident of Florida. So I can't feel them really. But like I said. Mother nature works in mysterious ways
Posted Image

#13 Moonfall

Moonfall

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

My Sb ate last night, thank goodness.

Perhaps not. perhaps it did somewhat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users