12 replies to this topic

#1 Stevo1

Stevo1

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

Hi everyone, introducing Elmo, an 8month old GW that has recently moved into my home :tt1:

He's come from an aviary setting and was going to be sold as part of a breeding pair - fortunately I convinced the breeder that he'd be much better off finding an unrelated cock for his hen and to sell me Elmo! hehe.. He has been without human contact, apart from food and water, for the past 4-5months and is fully flighted. His sister mauled his tail unfortunately, but moulting time isnt too far away!

In the past 2 weeks we've progressed to him almost being perch/stick trained and loving scritches. He's very gentle when taking his treats and rewards from my hands :)

Anyways, here's a video and some pics!

#2 ringo

ringo

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

Nice elmo !!!
Btw, I notice his red is is different from my gw.
Mine is like blood red. Elmo is like chilli red.
How long have you had him?

#3 TexasAggie

TexasAggie

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

Baby GWs are soooo cute! Howdy still gets that "baby" look when he fluffs up, but he looks a little more grown up now to me (though he's certainly still a baby!).

Congrats on your new bird!
:i.beni: Howdy - male green-winged macaw hatched 6/12/10
:animal18: Dixie - chocolate labrador retriever born 11/2001
:animal18: Gunner - black labrador retriever born 09/2004

#4 macawpower58

macawpower58

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

He's gorgeous! Love the name, it'll fit a rowdy GW. lol

Becky.....Where Fur and Feather Meet.

Posted Image

My Albums

#5 RMSacha

RMSacha

Property Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

He's lovely!!! Congrats and many years of happiness together! GWs are awesome birds with a lot of love in their hearts!
Bob
[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 KimM

KimM

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 3466 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:27 PM

OMG! what a love bug! I just want to grab and snuggle with him.. He's beautiful!!!!
Owned by:
Newton (Harlequin), Elliot (Scarlet), Handsome (American Saddlebred), Hyah (Miligold)

Warning: Do not let these little innocent faces fool you!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Jessama

Jessama

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:08 AM

Congrats on Elmo!!! - very fitting name for a GW - they are so comical.

Wow - he looks just like my Olive! (except when Olive was 8 months all her feathers had black stress bars and were real banged up). Did he not have banged up feathers? I wonder if the seclusion kept the roughhousing to a minimum (Olive had about 4 GWs and a couple B&Gs she was around with the breeder).
Olive is a year and a half and they could be twins - I never see pics of GWs that looks just like her. Elmo is a cute baby!
Jessica

Posted Image
Olive - Greenwing Macaw - DOH: 04-10-10

#8 ringo

ringo

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

Olive is also chilli red ?
Are they devided in to sub species?
Some are dark blood red and some are chilly red

#9 Jessama

Jessama

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:38 AM

Yes - Olive is Chili Red. Im not sure if there are sub species. If there are, I've never heard of them.
Jessica

Posted Image
Olive - Greenwing Macaw - DOH: 04-10-10

#10 Stevo1

Stevo1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

Congrats on Elmo!!! - very fitting name for a GW - they are so comical.

Wow - he looks just like my Olive! (except when Olive was 8 months all her feathers had black stress bars and were real banged up). Did he not have banged up feathers? I wonder if the seclusion kept the roughhousing to a minimum (Olive had about 4 GWs and a couple B&Gs she was around with the breeder).
Olive is a year and a half and they could be twins - I never see pics of GWs that looks just like her. Elmo is a cute baby!

He's in pretty good feather except for his tail which has been totally destroyed by his siblings... There are no recognised sub-species of GW but maybe they have different reds for different origins? Or health? *shrugs*

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

#11 ringo

ringo

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

hi stevo, any updates on baby elmo? would love some picture:)
does she still have to cute baby look ?

i think mine already start loosing his baby look. but still behave like a baby and still clumsy when he is walking. as ever...

#12 Stevo1

Stevo1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hey Ringo :) Elmo is growing up quickly and is the same as yours - behaving a bit babyish. At least he now has a tail!! lol. His training has come along well and his recall is much more consistent, as are his step-ups. Not too many new photos now that I'm back at work and busy, here's a recent one - It's me, Elmo and Danny (my YNA). After that are a few from late last year, Elmo outside playing and having some cuddles with my girlfriend :D

#13 ringo

ringo

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

he is beautiful. still retain his little baby look and well done in socializing him well that he can be handle by others. his red is so much more intense now:)

your YNA also look gorgeous:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users