21 replies to this topic

#1 tracyloibl

tracyloibl

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:57 AM

One of my good friends gave me her yellow front today that she's had for 15 years. She has 8 month old twins and two older boys and her bird was getting less and less attention, etc. Anyways... I have been offering to give him a home for a while now because I knew he needed better care. She meant well but she doesn't know much about birds. It's all a long story but I need some advice/insight on everything to do with Amazons. I have two macaws and I am by far a bird expert but I know macaws. Amazons are a completely different bird and I know nothing about them. I will say that he is adjusting wonderfully!! He will let me scratch his head through the bars and everytime I walk up to him he lowers his head for more head scratches. He hasn't fanned his tail since I brought him home. I was giving him toys (he had none) and he didn't come after me... He seems to like me. He's talking like crazy and seems very very happy. He's never had anything but his seed mix, crackers and pizza crust. My friend never knew to give him any fruit, veggies or anything else. Tonight he ate every bite of his dinner. He loved the fruit, veggies, pasta, and chicken. I was worried of never having that in at least 15 years that he wouldn't eat it. I am very happy I was wrong. Anyways... I could really use some advice/insight on amazons. I know this is a broad question but I just want to make sure I am doing everything possible not to stress him out. Even though at my friend's house, he had been moved outside with no interaction except to feed him. Also his cage is way to small!!!! He is in the exact same size cage that my quaker parrot is in. My friend said she tried putting him in a larger cage once but he got scared and didn't like it so she moved him back. (I will post a photo is I can figure out how). She also told me he was scared of toys... I put one in his cage. He isn't bothered by it at all but he is completely ignoring it. I don't know how long he has been with out. i was thinking of trying a foreging toys with treats. Any ideas?? Any advice on the amazon personality would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Tracy[ATTACH=CONFIG]59313[/ATTACH]

#2 tracyloibl

tracyloibl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:00 AM

By the way... I gave him some toys and replaced his food dishes. The photo was when I first got him home before I did all that.

#3 steveknight

steveknight

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:08 AM

your doing good. he really needs a larger cage though. can he come out and play outside?

#4 chent

chent

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:53 AM

Awww, he's cute! Definitely needs a bigger cage, but I'd put it next to his existing cage so he can gradually get used to it. I tried to give my G2 a nice big cage and he freaked! It's good that your friend gave up the bird. Seems she knew her limits.
Posted Image
My fids:
CarusoBird (adopted) - DYH (31)
Casper - G2 (23)
Gabbybird - Tiel (23)
My daughter's fids:
Princess (adopted) - CAG (6)
Mickey - GCC (3)
Charlie, Jessica, Prettyboy (adopted) - Budgies (2-3)

#5 tracyloibl

tracyloibl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

His cage is the same one my friend had him in for the 15 years she's had him. I am working on getting him a larger cage. I haven't yet him out yet... I wanted him to get use to us before I let him out. I was going to try it later this afternoon. I was just going to open the door and see if he comes out. He isn't clipped and not use to being handled. Yesterday he was letting me scratch his head through the bars but this morning he won't let me. For some reason he seems very fond of my 17 year old son and he's letting him scratch his head now, but not me. I'm sure he confused...

#6 xiaohe1984

xiaohe1984

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

yellow front amazon, but its look more den yellow nape amazon...

#7 tracyloibl

tracyloibl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

That's what I was wondering too. She told me he was a yellow front but then said "I think". She doesn't know anything about birds. I am a macaw person and know little about amazons but while trying to read up on their temperament and personality I found a yellow nape. I think you are correct. :)

#8 xiaohe1984

xiaohe1984

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

i am sure is a yellow nape bro... u live at where? so good rescued a very good and expensive bird... cost abt singapore money at $6000-$7500..

#9 ConureKidd

ConureKidd

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Wow. 6000. I can get one for 250. I'm getting my mealy for 500.
That's crazy. However the cage is fine. Amazons don't use all there cage. A bigger cage is always better bit this one is ok. Def a yn. And a very beautiful one at that.
Posted Image

Thankyou so much for my WONDERFUL sig macawpower58!!

#10 tracyloibl

tracyloibl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

I live in Florida....

#11 KellyisGhost

KellyisGhost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

Wow! Yeah that's a yellow naped, I think. He looks like he might be a smidge chubby, too in his old owner's pic. ;) He may be fluffed out for all I know right there, though. Amazon's are sometimes, very inconsistent birds. My mother's Amazon has deemed me his favorite visitor, and sometimes he wont let me take him out. He'll sit there and talk to me and call me back to the room when I leave. I never know what to expect from him. My mother has even had the same problem sometimes when he's feeling like making a game out of it. Amazon's like to mess with you, sometimes, they are goofy birds. He may also just be adjusting to his new family and it could take some time for him to be more consistent with you. I'd say the cage is fine if that's all you can do right now. As long as he's got attention and stimulation in his cage that keeps him happy, he will be just fine.

I would also get him on a consistent diet. My mother feeds hers an assortment of beans (soaked for 8-12 hours overnight, and stored in the freezer for long-term keeping) mixed with fresh veggies and fruit in the morning. He's later fed a high quality pellet in the evening. Also, I just bought some foraging toys from this website and an organic pellet by a brand called TOP, http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/ If you've got anymore money to spare, I really love this website. Someone from this board linked it to me for the pellets. I think it's a fair deal and they shipped pretty quickly. They're an NJ store so you'd probably get your stuff in about a week if you chose to use them.

Good luck! Amazons are a fantastic bird to have. Your new friend will surely keep you laughing when he gets adjusted. It sounds like you are already aware of being respectful to the bird and not pushing him. That's exactly what a new bird needs. I'm glad he's found a good home. :)

#12 CockieTalk

CockieTalk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

yellow front amazon, but its look more den yellow nape amazon...

It is not too far from the truth as Yellow-napes are considered to be a subspecies of the Yellow-front Amazon.

Congratulations on adopting the Amazon parrot. I adopted a Nape about 2 years ago and getting to know her has been quite a riot. I am the love of her life, and I will say the feeling is mutual. They are quite exceptional companions. Seeing as how this thread is several months old, how is your boy doing these days? Has he started playing with toys? Were you able to transition him to a larger cage smoothly? It sounds like he had a very rigid upbringing so hopefully the new experiences with you will help bring him out of his shell.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - Antoine de Saint Exupery

#13 macawpower58

macawpower58

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

I'm guessing Yellow Nape also.

Amazons have a body language that just doesn't lie. If they're gonna get you...you know it! :P

They (especially Yellow Napes) can get very hormonally aggressive when in breeding mode. Hopefully your new baby won't, but be advised he/she? may.

From the two Zons I have, and all that I've met, I think they're the easiest keepers of the parrot world. Many will play and keep themselves quite content with toys and a play area. Most also are not happy being snuggled, at least not unless it's on their terms.

They can be perch potatoes, and easily get fat! Be careful of feeding too many seeds/nuts. Mine will do backflips for peanuts, but I ration them. Mine are 'fattish'. :(

Try and keep activity level up.

They also are famous for their smell. Amazon lovers know the scent quite well. It's a rich musky scent, and I love burrowing my nose into those green feathers, when I'm allowed (which isn't too often).

I think you'll find you end up falling in love with the Amazon personality. Napes are also one of the more engaging and dramatic of the Zon family.

Enjoy!

Becky.....Where Fur and Feather Meet.

Posted Image

My Albums

#14 macawpower58

macawpower58

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

I just saw (after you stated it) the age of this thread. lol

Hopefully the OP is still around!

Becky.....Where Fur and Feather Meet.

Posted Image

My Albums

#15 chris1301

chris1301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

Not your fault for sure, but 15 years in that cage! He has no room to move about and exercise and from what I see in the pics, there is only one toy and 2 perches. I purchase my 2nd cage from Wings of Love for $329. An awesome cage, well built, toxic free paint, sets up in about 20 minutes. Plenty of room for your FID and he will LOVE you for it.

#16 chris1301

chris1301

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

My appologies, the on-line store is LOVEONTHEWING.COM. cage #8003223. Chris

#17 birdbrainiac

birdbrainiac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

First Quick Clip a wing. What I know about amazons you can fit in a thimble. But.... I did deal with a D.Y.H. for several months. The one thing that I found was a serious "attitude" change with clipped wings. I would highly suggest that since he is new to you. You should have someone clip his wings for you (you wont big the big meanie then) so his "attitude" will be softened. Then open the cage and leave it that way( as much as possible). Then I would work on the bigger cage. I also found the one I cared for did not like fast changes. One thing at a time(sort of deal). Hope that helps. Like I said though. what I know about amazons you could fit in a thimble. Good luck and enjoy!

#18 Lind

Lind

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Completely disagree's with birdbrainiac (sorry). Don't take away his flight, I doubt he can fly anyway. But he needs flight badly. I'd suggest the oppisite and encourage it. :)

#19 Guest_farseerandyatou_*

Guest_farseerandyatou_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

i think he is a yellow nape, and that cost about 25000RMB here in china as they are great talker! but their have bad temper, i agree that the bird loves u, chinese people believe in fate, and sometimes the fate isn't there, the bird won't like u anyway. so i think u should take care of the angel~ good lucky

#20 Guest_farseerandyatou_*

Guest_farseerandyatou_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

i think u need to rebuild his confidence, so don't clip his wings...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users