Photo
- - - - -

Where to buy wooden (fake) eggs to replace unfertilized eggs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Deb M

Deb M

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

My little Rosy (Rosey Bourke's 1 1/2 years old) laid 3 eggs, I do not have a male (do plan on getting one soon as I can safely afford) so the eggs are not fertile.

She laid them on the bottom of her cage. She is very protective of the eggs, rolls them, sits on them and spends most of her time with them. She will let me clean around them so she has a clean cage but it stresses her so much.

Any advice on how to help her through this? she is a year and half old and a very sweet little lady, I hate to see her seem so stressed over eggs that will never be baby's.

I thought maybe get some fake eggs to replace them, since in the heat they are probably rotting and worried it will make her sick? I tried taking them away but she panicked looking for them, then when I tried to put them back she nesting on them in my hand..silly bird, so i gently put them back where they were.

I do hope to someday let her breed, but this is so sad for her right now.

Thanks for any advise. She is on a pellet diet, yogurt/cottage cheese in small amounts, cuttlebone she loves, she seems very healthy other than not wanting to leave the eggs.

:wub:Posted Image:wub:

:i.roz:Rosy 3-11-2010
Hali Rescued 4-15-2010 -8-2-2011 RIP sweet one
Sky Blue 2-2010-to a new home with other parakeets
:greencheek:Jaed 9-17-2010
Ollie and Fuzzy Crazy Quakers 6-5-2011

#2 sodakat

sodakat

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2292 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

The eggs are not going to rot unless they are cracked. You will find that many hens will dispose of (break and eat) the eggs once they realize they are not going to hatch. Others will just push the eggs to the side and be done with them. I think it's great that you are letting her sit however long she wants. Please don't worry about the eggs harming her. She may very well sit a month or longer before she gives up.

Consider that should you provide her with a mate that she accepts, they may produce infertile clutches at first so even with a mate there is no guarantee that sitting will result in chicks for her. Some pairs never mate successfully, but the female still lays.

Posted Image

#3 Deb M

Deb M

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thank you that makes me feel so much better!

I do want to get a male for her, plus I really do not mind having another Bourke's to love..they are great!

I would be thrilled if they fell in "love" and had babies, but if not I would be happy with having the two of them.

I so badly want to clean her cage, but it stresses her so much. Will wait till she decides to have some flying time lol.

#4 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:55 AM

I tried my bourke hen on the Harrison's High Potency diet, which caused her to lay more eggs, which was the exact opposite of what I wanted her to do at the time. I had to change her down to the Lifetime diet to get her to stop laying eggs. However, only 50% of her diet is pellets, and I get hounded at the vets office if I provide more than that! :lol:

Do you have another cage you can put her in temporarily while you clean hers? Move her and "all" her stuff, eggs included, to a different cage, clean her main cage, and move it all back?

Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#5 Deb M

Deb M

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:15 AM

Yes I do have two spare cages, I did not think to do that, thought she might get upset if I moved her eggs. I do also give her some seed, she is addicted to millet so instead of straight millet I give her the seed mix that a local lady sales, I give it to her very little as a treat, mainly to get her to eat the yogurt lol.

I will try in the morning doing the cage transfer, I finally ripped some of the paper up tonight, where she had pooped at, scared me at first, so much poop and not normal for her, I now know that is normal when laying. So I cleaned the front half and she just pecked at me if I got too close. I do think she will make a good mama bird someday, she loves those eggs.

Funny thing is Jaed my gcc got upset that Rosy was not flying with her, Jaed just learned to fly with Rosy. So Jaed went over and started giving Rosy food, and then wanted to stay in the cage.

Thank you both so much, I am no longer worried about letting her sit with the eggs, been so long since I was around breeding birds. Hope to someday let her have some babies, but now is not the right time.

#6 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground WA

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

You can get wooden or plastic eggs at just about any craft store....maybe even Wallies
Christa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users