Photo
- - - - -

In DESPERATE need of conversion to pellets..

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DovieSeptember

DovieSeptember

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I've had my cockatiel for a few months now and she is basically on an all seed diet. I have tried everything! The ten day conversion method, trying to act like I'm eating the pellets in front of her (lol) I've tried to get her onto Zupreem Fruitblend and a Kaytee pellet diet with very little seeds, she'll just pick the seeds out. She refuses fruit and vegetables. I don't want her body to fail her later on. I'm scared. She's so stubborn and headstrong about only eating seeds. She will starve herself before she eats pellets!

Idk what else to do..

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

Have you checked out these two threads?

http://www.birdboard...ad.php?t=926230
http://www.birdboard...ad.php?t=981731

Please keep in mind she shouldn't be eating more than 50% pellets, as that could potentially kill her sooner than a 100% diet of pellets.

Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 29Tudor

29Tudor

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

I have the same problem with my five year old Cockatiel. I tried everything for
months on end with no luck. I settled on crushing the pellets and mixing it in
with his seed mix. I buy a fortified mix and use skin and feather conditioner
drops.

#4 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground WA

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

Well, dont let her starve....I would just keep offering fresh food and pellets in the morning when she is hungry. Leave for a couple of hours and then put the seed in. My tiels loved it when I made birdie bread. Harrison's has a good one called
Harrisons Organic Original Recipe Birdie Bread
Cockatiels are seed eaters in the wild so she is doing what is natural.
Dont panic or be desperate. She will be fine.
Christa

#5 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

PS. Too many vitamins can be toxic to your birds and also to make sure that they are eating enough. Weigh them daily and keep a log
Christa

#6 dianaalrusty

dianaalrusty

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

I feel your pain. My TAG and GCC refuse. I've never stressed about it, I provide lots of fresh and home made staples. But, get this, my grand daughter and her budgie came for the weekend, I had gotten some Zupreem fruity pellets for budgies, and the little stinker LOVES them. Go figure. I'm glad we tried. (I had given up hope with my two being the way they are). Good luck.

#7 tielfan

tielfan

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2110 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Nutriberries are formulated to be nutritionally complete which means they are equivalent to pellets, but they look like seed balls/treats so it's often much easier to convince a bird to eat them. You can ask the company for free samples, their contact information is at http://www.lafeberca...om/contact.html Be sure to tell them what kind of bird you have so they send the right size.

I got my cockatiels to eat pellets and other new foods by making them think they were treats. First I made a habit of offering them small treats that I was holding between my thumb and index finger, then I would occasionally give them a new/rejected food this way. At first they would spit it out but eventually they started eating it. This is still their preferred way to eat pellets but they'll also eat some from the cup on their own. They simply devour the Nutriberries.

sig07.jpg

#8 Sterling

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

My lovebird was originally on ZuPreem's Fruit Blend Flavor (I think that's the right one) when I originally got her. I tried switching her over to ZuPreem's Garden Goodness. She would nibble at it, but she never really eat a lot of it. I have two feeding cups, one for actual food and one for treats. Everyday when i would go to clean out her water and food dishes and refill them she would go directly to the treat one, as she hated her regular food lol. I put things like pumpkin seeds, a little bit of millet, etc in there. She wouldn't want to eat her vegetables either -_- so I came to the conclusion that if I chopped it up into really tiny pieces then put it in her treat cup, she'd actually eat it,which she did. Sadly, she would not do this for her regular food. Silly little bird lol. Anyways, I got some free samples from Lafeber with their nutriberries, pellets, etc. She LOVES the pellets. I've never seen her go so crazy over something other than millet haha. I also got some free samples from Roudybush today, so I guess I'll be trying those soon as well. My opinion is to ask bird food companies for samples or find coupons that you can use for their products (usually on their websites) and see what your bird does/does not like.

#9 hungrybird

hungrybird

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Getting samples is helpful. My birds eat Harrison's and Totally Organic Pellets. My cockatiels really like Harrison's Adult Lifetime Fine, you could try that. Sometimes it takes time.

Is there anything she really likes? My cockatiels love eggs, leafy greens, corn, and thick mushy hot foods like oatmeal. You could try adding pellets to an omelette, some porridge, or a noodle dish. Or you can bake bird bread and add some seeds, pellets, and mixed veggies to the batter. I think a pellet omelette would be inhaled.

You can also try cooking quinoa. It looks a lot like seeds. My cockatiels took to it instantly. You can mix some seed and pellets in with the quinoa. After offering it to them several times you may notice that they are trying the other foods too.
I moved my site AGAIN and now have my own domain!

http://hungrybirdfood.com/

#10 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

And you can add different kinds of baby food veggies. This will help them get used to the taste. Make sure to get the no salt added and no chemical ones though
Christa

#11 Kuro

Kuro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

something that helped my budgies learn to like pellets was soaking the pellets till soft(not super squishy...want them to be able to stick to seeds) and mush them up. add seed so you make a little seed cake/patty so if your tiel wants seeds she has to dig through the sticky soft pellets and then also gets the taste of them and learn their food and like them
Owned By:...

Nugget - Pacific Parrotlet, Littlefoot - Lutino Indian Ringneck, Lucy - Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo, Soto - Orange Wing Amazon, Amigo - Cockatiel, Bella - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Levi - Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure(now home!), Mia&Riley - Budgies

#12 Eliz Aisling

Eliz Aisling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBethesda, MD, USA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

When I first tried to switch Calliope from a seed mix to pellets, it was a little bit of a disaster. I did it gradually and everything, but after she lost 10 grams, I freaked out and switched her back to seeds for a few months. When I got brave and tried again, I had a lot more success - it happened very quickly. She was eating the pellets in less than a week!

What I did was I mixed the pellets and the seeds in her regular food dish, increasing the pellets and decreasing the seed every couple of days. Then this time I also gave her a separate, higher-up dish of pellets, so that it would be more convenient for her to eat the pellets. I also ate them in front of her, and from time to time I spread out a bed sheet on the ground and scattered pellets on it, to encourage her to forage for them.

I know switching can be frustrating, but best of luck. You'll get there if you keep trying!

Posted Image

CALLIOPE
(/kəˈlaɪ.əpiː/; Ancient Greek: Καλλιόπη, "beautiful voice")

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users