#1 ddr1981

ddr1981

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDayton, OH

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

I was planning on getting a baby Greenwing in the spring. I've ran into a very reputable person within the community who has a Greenwing male (early teens) that is available because of lack of time. I've never owned a macaw. Do any of you see any cons to taking on an adult bird? This isn't a rescue situation and the bird is very well cared for, so I'm not worried about his safety/future if I don't take him. The last few years he's lived outside in a flight with another bird. I'm wondering how he'd adjust to indoor living again. He is more than half way across the country from me, so it isn't likely that I'll meet him and see how we hit it off first.

#2 SDavid

SDavid

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1373 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

If the bird has a same species companion then I wonder why the owner would say he doesn't have enough time for it. Seems the two would be enough companionship for each other, expecially in a large flight. Anytime someone says they're giving up their bird due to a "lack of time" that's code. It's another way of saying the bird has become an inconvenience. But remember, baby birds will be adults one day too, and I guarantee you that the issues attributed to rehomed/rescued birds are not unlike the issues (or reasons for rehoming) that people who start with baby birds will one day go through. Submissive, docile, baby's grow up into adult wild animals and that's something one should be prepared for no matter the age of the bird that they acquire. That is, in order to avoid one day not having "enough time" for it. So many start out with that excited "bringing baby home" thread....becuase life with a baby bird seems so perfect.....suspiciously these people tend to disappear from this forum after a while....hmmm, wonder where the enthusiasm went? Anyway, adult or baby doesn't necessarily mean anything but it is unfortunate you can't meet the bird. How you start is up to you and what you're looking for in a pet. I would also consider that this bird has been living with another bird. They could be bonded and that could lead to depression or worse in your bird.

#3 Jessama

Jessama

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

SDavid is right on. Regardless how you go, the cute cuddly baby will become an adult and you will be dealing with the same behavior issues you could face with an adult rescue. As for this specific situation, I see the red flags as well. If you are interested in the possiblity of rescue, is there are local organization/rescue you can contact to have the chance to meet the available macaws in need for adoption. They can work with you to find an available bird that is a good match for you.

Not that there is anything wrong (IMO) with getting your bird from a reputable breeder. That is the route I went with Olive. She is my first bird ever (only had dogs in my past - they are nothing alike). I spent years researching macaw breeds, behaviors, health, diets, etc., and still didn't have the confidence going with a rescue macaw - I felt that I needed the time with the 'cute baby' to grow my skills and confidence as a macaw owner.

You should be able to ask your avian vet (which should be your first connection you make) for breeders/rescue organizations they recommend. Regardless of how you get your macaw - the best advice I can give is to really research the breed, behavior, proper diet, cost, daily time commitment, household changes your will have to make and actual care involved. There is a massive time commitment needed to have a macaw that (IMO) people over look. If you have them indoors (as I do) they need to be out of the cage most of the day, with their 'flock' and given a massive array of toys and enrichment activities to keep them busy and happy. Also, your life can change (relationships ending, loss of jobs, having to move, change in income, etc.) and you need to plan how it could effect if you can care for your bird.

Keep us posted on how your decision-making process goes. Good luck :)
Jessica

Posted Image
Olive - Greenwing Macaw - DOH: 04-10-10

#4 ddr1981

ddr1981

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDayton, OH

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the comments. I'm not that concerned about any "hidden codes" with this bird only because it is Wendy Craig's. I've never met her, but she is highly recommended from numerous sources, including my vet. This is her husband’s bird, and he doesn’t have time. The bird was born at Wendy’s and has always been there. They are also selling the bird that is in the flight with him. I’m talking to Wendy about the situation (obviously) but just wanted to get a second set of eyes on the scenario.

#5 RMSacha

RMSacha

Property Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:38 PM

Wendy has earned a remarkable reputation and if she can state clearly that you would make a good fit with this adult GW, and you have the patience and determination, I would have to say "Go for it!". I really want to see the good adult birds that need homes get homes before any more babies are produced—there are so many great birds in need of loving homes. I pray it goes well!
Bob
[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Pearced848

Pearced848

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:28 AM

I just took in an adult BNG Macaw and so far it has been a great decision. Its early days but she is sweet and we are bonding easily. She has a plucking problem but I'm starting to suspect it was caused by lack of attention. We are in the "honeymoon" period so she may start to pluck again but I just keep telling her how beautiful she is, so if she doesn't mind the bald spots neither do I. The only time I have any sort of problem with her is trying to put her iback in her cage.I really think she never got out. Every day I see her relax more and become more cnfident with her new home and it is a pleasure to see. Every bird deserves a home where they can be happy and healthy and so many of these guys need a second chance. I was nervous about getting such a large bird at first knowing zero about her but I am sooooooo glad I brought her here. I can't imagine her being anywhere else now.

#7 SCARLETBIRDS

SCARLETBIRDS

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

the only thing i cansider is can i afford to care for it, will it outlive me/is there someone who can care for it if it does and are we compatible and do i have room? never met a parrot i diddnt like. did however meet a few that considered trying to remove fingers a game, good thing im fast.

#8 birdbrainiac

birdbrainiac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:57 AM

holy cow....you nailed it right on the head....WOW...I love it. hope you do not mind but WOW....some one thinking ahead wow..thanks

#9 ddr1981

ddr1981

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDayton, OH

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

What are you talking about birdbrainiac?

#10 ringo

ringo

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

Actually it's rather straight forward.
If you are Getting a baby, then you have to be ready to nature, teach and decipline the bird the right way as it grows up, or else, you will end up with a pe that u could never cope.

If you are getting an adult, look out at the age, and weather the bird have any bad habit.
I yes, u have to be ready to take an effort to correct it. If you are not ready to spend the effort on correcting the bad habit, then probably the bird isn't suitable for you.

If the bird is just perfect, then it would be the best scenario.

However, the bird will change from time to time. E.g. Hormonal period. No bird is too identical to one an another
And it will be more difficul to correct bad habit on older bird.

Best of luck:)

#11 M i k e

M i k e

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

If the bird has a same species companion then I wonder why the owner would say he doesn't have enough time for it. Seems the two would be enough companionship for each other, expecially in a large flight. Anytime someone says they're giving up their bird due to a "lack of time" that's code. It's another way of saying the bird has become an inconvenience. But remember, baby birds will be adults one day too, and I guarantee you that the issues attributed to rehomed/rescued birds are not unlike the issues (or reasons for rehoming) that people who start with baby birds will one day go through. Submissive, docile, baby's grow up into adult wild animals and that's something one should be prepared for no matter the age of the bird that they acquire. That is, in order to avoid one day not having "enough time" for it. So many start out with that excited "bringing baby home" thread....becuase life with a baby bird seems so perfect.....suspiciously these people tend to disappear from this forum after a while....hmmm, wonder where the enthusiasm went? Anyway, adult or baby doesn't necessarily mean anything but it is unfortunate you can't meet the bird. How you start is up to you and what you're looking for in a pet. I would also consider that this bird has been living with another bird. They could be bonded and that could lead to depression or worse in your bird.

I'm going to start a new thread so as to not redirect this valuable thread. Look for "How do adult Greenwings differ from baby GWs?"
Nigel a Sun Conure (with dulcet tones)
Two Nameless Miniature Doves (they don't come when I call anyway)
Makenzie a Hahn's Macaw (loves hiding in a book bag)
Mardy a Greenwing Macaw (comes without being asked)

#12 ddr1981

ddr1981

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDayton, OH

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with a baby for various reasons... the main being that I wanted to spend some time with the bird before I made a decision to make sure it was "right" for both of us.

Stella is 7 months old, and tomorrow will be one week I've had her. I've been working on some recall training and also started putting her in an Aviator harness. We went to the vet in the harness and she was great, even with all the people and other animals.

She loves her tree stand. She gets real excited and bobs left and right and then will fly across the room to me. I can't wait until it warms up so I can take her outside and let her improve her flying skills.

#13 jjones1719

jjones1719

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

She is a great looking GW and my Neleno would be in love with her. Best of luck and let us know if you run into any issues. Joe
Guapo Male Eclectus 4 years old.
Neleno Green Winged Macaw 2 year old[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JJones1719

#14 M i k e

M i k e

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Wow! Windows on two sides of her playground. Mardy would be soooo jealous.

Concerning your plans for outdoors free flight. Please take a look at this post: http://www.macawforu...ull=1#post38193
Nigel a Sun Conure (with dulcet tones)
Two Nameless Miniature Doves (they don't come when I call anyway)
Makenzie a Hahn's Macaw (loves hiding in a book bag)
Mardy a Greenwing Macaw (comes without being asked)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users