5 replies to this topic

#1 CoupeBabe

CoupeBabe

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Finally got my TAG!!! Now to keep him amused ......... so was just wondering if things like baby rattles can be offered to your FIDS (properly sterilised of course!!) ??? As they have to meet certain standards for kids I thought maybe they could be OK for birds

#2 Pearced848

Pearced848

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

Well they say no toy is ever 100% safe. Know your bird and keep a careful eye out. That said , I have purchased many baby hand toys/ rattles from the goodwill and salvation army. They are super cheap. My cockatoos go nuts for them! I also buy toys to take apart to salvage big plastic beads. Use common sense, watch for choking hazards but most of all use your imagination. Happy shopping , Cheri

#3 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground WA

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

I used to buy lots of baby toys for my birds. The second hand shop closed though so I have not purchased as much. My birds seems to be scared of bird toys but played with the baby toys right away
Christa

#4 karen256

karen256

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

My GCC's favorite toy for years was a little baby rattle I got at a rummage sale for 10 cents.
And at a bird store, the owner's own TAG had a baby toy (one where it played an animal sound when a button was pushed). I would think that most baby toys would be at least as safe as bird toys, except for larger birds that might be able to remove screws and disassemble a toy or get at batteries, ect.
Feathered Art - custom pet portrait woodcarvings

#5 Gabbysanders

Gabbysanders

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

my birds love toys!
Gabby

#6 LaSelva

LaSelva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Seems you got your answer but, as far as child-safe goes, I'll add that the craft store (geared largely toward school children) is also a great place to buy little wooden foot toys for your bird. Is your bird a baby? If so, foot toys is what I'd recommend. Things they can pick up and manipulate. Young birds in the wild will break off pieces of branches and manipulate them to devleop coordination. Aren't baby rattles rather large for a TAG though? I guess I'm thinking of them as being bigger than they are. Not sure about them but I'd definately provide foot toys. Generally, I don't see the harm in something that's safe for a human baby. In fact, alot of pet toys (for birds, dogs, cats) are made from the same types of materials that I see in baby toys. Introduce toys slowly so as to not scare your bird and observe while he plays with it. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users