#1 lilmama003

lilmama003

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

Any Advice for first day home?
She IS to the point of plucking her wings and tail and shes only three :( poor punkin
I have tons of plans for helping with that, but Since everyone is different, Im wondering what
you guys did the first day you brought home your macaw?
I think it deff is up to her and I'm kinda letting her go on her own pace.
My other Fids were in different situations so it depended on their personalities what we did.
So, What would you suggest? Get her on my arm/lap right away, let her kinda hang out till she comes to me?
What did you do?

#2 jjones1719

jjones1719

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

The best thing to do when getting any Macaw home for the first time, is give time to the Macaw to adjust to her surroundings, cage, and your routine.
After 24 hours, it's time to test her to see how far she will allow you near her, will she allow you to touch her, if yes reward her with an almond, pet her, if she allows you reward again. Start off very slow as you do not want to stress her out. If she is okay with you or appears that she wants your attn and company, it's time to start training her , try to get her to step up onto your forearm first and reward right away with an almond. Do this again and again until she understands that you are no threat to her.
If she does not resist you. I started playing with my Macaw on the floor over a blanket and plenty of toys for both my boys. I tested him to see how aggressive he was or to see how layed back he was.
Luck for me, both my boys adjusted very well and very fast. They were both eager to please me knowing that whatever I asked of them, they got an almond and my attn.
Bonding with the Macaw is so important, they will let you know when they want your attn and when they just want to be left alone.
You also may want to take your Macaw to your Aviary Vet to have them checked right off the bat to rule out health issues and treat them if there are any. Please ask plenty of questions here and all members will guide you in the right direction. Best of Luck Joe
Guapo Male Eclectus 4 years old.
Neleno Green Winged Macaw 2 year old[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JJones1719

#3 ringo

ringo

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

i am not sure, but if she has the access to the whole room, her her room about. get her hungry and let her approach you for food. its easier for them to trust you when they decide to approach you for something rather than you approaching them. but you need to show them that you have food.

may be you just get a book sit somewhere near the bird put a few almond or any of her favourite food right in front of you.
if she is hungry enough, she will walk down to you to get the food. once she is confident, you can try offering the food with your hand.

#4 lilmama003

lilmama003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Quick update :/ never again am I giving advice to naughty bird parents :( This is the 3rd rescue I was 'going' to pick up and when the day comes they tell me exactly "your advice has been working great, we've decided to keep her and continue working with her, thanks so much for all your help" -_-.....
So, I've decided that although I am happy for them, I'm going to just get a baby I think. :/
Your advice was extremely appreciated though lol :)

#5 M i k e

M i k e

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

My only disagreement with the above advice is to use cashews instead of almonds. Mardy loves cashews.
Nigel a Sun Conure (with dulcet tones)
Two Nameless Miniature Doves (they don't come when I call anyway)
Makenzie a Hahn's Macaw (loves hiding in a book bag)
Mardy a Greenwing Macaw (comes without being asked)

#6 dianaalrusty

dianaalrusty

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1338 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

I'm sorry for you but glad for the B&G. That sucks from your stand point though. Just wait, you'll probably get a baby, then they'll redecide to give him to you.....that'd be the luck, huh?

#7 lilmama003

lilmama003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

my husband said the same thing about her changing her mind, he also said i cant save them all :(
i have this addiction to helping i think lol
we have had rescue porcupines, pigeons, even a seagull lol
this time my hubby said enough trying to fix other peoples problems, and he bought me a brand new baby, he/she will be 7 weeks next week when he/she comes :)
I really hope "Charlotte" (the one i was going to take) Is going to be okay, and that they take all the advice.
i dont think any bird should ever get to that point :/
It would be nice to have my own baby though and if they change their mind again about Charlotte I will take her anyways lol

#8 jjones1719

jjones1719

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

7 weeks old baby? I hope you know how to hand feed.
If not, do not bring this baby home at 7 weeks old. It's always best to wait until they are fully weaned and fledged or you are asking for all sorts of issues and possible the death of the baby if you don't understand how offen or how to administer the feedings.
Even still, if you know how to feed, you will be up all night with Macaws for feeding and care, they are tougher then a new born human. They demand all of your attn. I hope you really think about this before bringing home this baby. Best of luck Joe
Guapo Male Eclectus 4 years old.
Neleno Green Winged Macaw 2 year old[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JJones1719

#9 intHiki

intHiki

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

just find thread very interesting , thx

#10 lilmama003

lilmama003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

I do thank you. and i very much agree.

#11 lilmama003

lilmama003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

you hit the nail on the head :) hahaha, they are good people though, like through talking to them they do love her and are trying, i think the saying "the bird picks its owners and not the other way around" comes to mind.
After "buying" my baby though i just dont have the money now to get her. but i really do hope she ends up okay :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users