12 replies to this topic

#1 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:23 AM

Talouse really isn't a baby as she(?) will be one year old on March second and came to us after I had spent many months working with her and my other little flock at the pet shop. Her transition from the shop to home this past Friday has gone very smoothly and she has shown no signs of distress and think she knows she is home.

She is her cuddly and talkative self (she speaks parrotese) and can tell she is pretty happy, is as curious about everything as ever, and looks like the other kids are not too upset that she is here.

She is the sweetest bird... she rarely gets her feathers ruffled over anything and if she is nervous will check with me to make sure things are okay with a "chich chich" sound and retreat to my shoulder so she can check things out from a safe distance.

We are looking for a larger cage as the smaller cage is only temporary... our Ringneck pair shares a full sized Macaw cage at the other end of the house.

Posted Image

#2 tdmsu

tdmsu

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Glad to hear you two are happy! Talouse looks content and has a great name! She'll enjoy the bigger cage when it comes, but begin out on her play top is a good thing too.

Our Fidrych will be 4 this week, and he still surprises us frequently. Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fidrych - Senegal hatched 2/14/08
Posted Image

#3 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

She really likes the play top and can fly from this to the dining table which she did several times today... my girls are here for their dad time (I have them every two weeks for two weeks) and she seemed pretty comfortable with them but I do not like to force birds on kids or kids on birds so will wait until tomorrow to see how she accepts them.

She might reject someone from her cage but once she is out I can give her to anyone and she is fine... she is one of those birds that foes not change people willingly unless the person she is going to is me.

Getting her properly socialized is really important and I will be starting harness training so she can go back to the shop and help out, visit the staff who miss her, and meet lots of new people.

#4 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Also nice is that my housemate had come to the pet shop and met Talouse and was pre-approved... she spent a good part of the morning happily perched on his shoulder trying to make him understand she wanted scritches and did not seem like she wanted to come to me at all.

He had extended his hand while she was up top and she came right to him with her happy clicks and kisses.

#5 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Nice day today...

Talouse was still sleeping soundly at 7am and she is still on shop time... she crashes between 9:00 - 9:30 pm and with such a late sunrise it is not light until almost 8am.

She woke up in a good mood and was all clicks and kisses and my youngest went over to say good morning, Talouse dropped her head, and D gave her some gentle scritches which yielded an "mmmm". Talouse has met my daughter at the shop and although they have not had much interaction she has a good memory and my daughters are great with all the birds and know how to read them.

Made a nice salad with carrots, dandelion greens (organic), chopped dates, chopped sugar peas (favourite treat) and a few raisins and all the birds enjoyed this thoroughly.

Had a nice morning at the shop too... one of the people Talouse loved best was the reptile guy who never liked birds until Talouse and he tells me every day how much he misses her... when it warms up and when she is harness trained she can come to work with me and do some visiting.

Most of my morning was taken up caring for some baby Alexandrine Parakeets... the little one started crying as soon as he saw me and I made up some warm porridge with some sweet potato for him and he inhaled what I offered by hand and then went to get the rest from his food dish. They are on pellets and munch on those pretty happily but I still make porridge for my own birds because they love it so much.

Came home and Talouse kept me company while I unpacked some shopping, cleaned and organized a cupboard, had some scritches and only freaked out when I turned on the kitchen tap... I should have showed her what I was doing but she had her back to the sink and flew off making her distress call which was closely followed by her request to be picked up.

Am trying to teach here to say "pick me up"... she is working on talking and if you listen carefully she will say "hi baby" in a soft and quiet voice.

#6 tdmsu

tdmsu

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

Sounds like Talouse is settling in nicely.
I have been thinking about harness training... what strategy will you use? Please keep us posted on your progress once it gets warmer out!

Fidrych surprised me last week when I came home to find that one of the dogs had an accident. As I entered the room, Fidrych said "bad dog." He never said that before, and he used it in context! Amazing!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fidrych - Senegal hatched 2/14/08
Posted Image

#7 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

I have never harness trained a bird before but the process seems pretty simple... your bird has to trust you and be quite handle-able (which Talouse is) and you just have to work through the steps and offer rewards without freaking them out as then they may never want the harness.

My friend has an African Grey that sees the harness and dives right in because she knows she is going out.

#8 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

One week today since Talouse came home and she is doing so incredibly well...

She has been a much quieter bird here and although she still makes her Sennie call when she wants her people it is much quieter and think it is because she has less competition and may be calling back to Lucce (Ringneck) who has picked up her call... I have birds in stereo here.

She's awake at about 8:30 and just likes to bask in the morning sun for a while before she asks me to come and pick her up for scritches and cuddles... she also likes to lie in the crook of my arm.

She is exploring things every day (cautiously) and she will have to learn she cannot chew on my net book and finds the pictures on the computer to be fascinating, especially if they are of birds. She likes the bathroom mirror and presses her head to her reflection and goes "mmmm". :)

She can get mad when she is thwarted or knows I am going to put her back in the cage and gives me a soft growl, sometimes an angry but gentle nibble, and she head butts my hand if that is what is stopping her from say... chewing the power cord on the netbook.

She has been eating well, she likes the food dish up top best and I keep pellets in one of the inside dishes and use the other for treats and moister foods... I made chana dal yesterday and before I added the onions and garlic I served some up to all the fids and think they licked the dishes clean. The initial spices were simple... curry, cinnamon, and a little black pepper (no need for salt).

#9 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

More pictures...

Sun bathing in the morning...

Posted Image

Dad time...

Posted Image

Some exploring... it appears that our couch grows raisins. :)

Posted Image

Today she joined me for my morning coffee (none for her) and watched from my shoulder while I read my mail and then kept me company and mumbled in my ear while I puttered around and got ready to go out.

And of course there were scritches.

#10 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

Talouse turned 1 year old on Friday... she was hatched on March 2, 2011 so really isn't a baby.

She has settled in so well and is increasing her repertoire in that she now imitates the Ringnecks calls and has added a bunch of different whistles to her usual Sennie speak.

Got her a foraging block and some new toys for her birthday.

:)

#11 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Some new pictures... her yellow is changing to a deeper orange and she just glows with her iridescent green feathers.

Set up a new play area for her... the faded perch has been with her since she was a fledgling and picked up a new one to build her new swingset.

Posted Image

She loves the beak blocks that hang at the top of each chain... Sennies love to chew like crazy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

She is also getting stronger and new flight feathers are coming in... she will fly from her perch for about 10 feet and after landing will fly / hop to my desk so she can hang out with me and get scritches. Was so nice and warm today I took her for a walk and we visited the pet shop where she was happy as can be and have started harness training her.

She has no great fear of the harness and is so handleable I do not see her having an issue with it.

#12 grumpyguy

grumpyguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Also very pleased in that she met my wife (grumpygirl)... she presently lives in the US and had not met our new baby and after a few days of them talking and sharing treats Talouse seemed very happy top be scritched and picked up by her.

She did not seem to have any issues with us when we were making with the "scritches".

#13 Sabauda

Sabauda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

She's a beauty! It looks like she still has blue eyes -- our You-You came to us at 11 months and still had blue eyes for some time. I'm not a great expert but I think at that age they are still quite babies! Enjoy her - so sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users