7 replies to this topic

#1 Roxxie

Roxxie

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Tomorrow I am going to pickup an 11 year old CAG that has not left his cage in a year. The owners that have him now have had him his whole life but I guess things got tuff or something and he has been stuck in his cage for the past year. I figure until he settles in I will not try changing his food since he has been on this food for years now (or should I?). Right now he is on something from Kaytee. I am totally ready to take all the time he needs and go at any pace he seems comfortable with. The present owner told me he was hand raised and for 10 out of his 11 years he has been an active member of their family with nothing bad to say. I was also told that he doesn't have any toys or only 1, I don't totally remember. I went out yesterday to "look" at toys and ended up coming out of the store with 4 bags of toys...lol.

So please throw my tips my way or just tell me what I am in for.....

I have already talked with my vet and she wants to wait just a bit on his first checkup, she doesn't want to stress him. So I am supposed to call her on Monday and tell her how he is acting. She has given me a whole list of things to look at and if need be I will pay the extra to have the vet come out to the house and examine him here.

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

Personally, it sounds like you have everything covered!

He may be stressed due to a change of home and a change of owners, so giving him time to adjust would probably be great! If he shows signs of wanting to come out, leave his cage door open and see if he'll be brave enough, otherwise just let him settle in. Keep him on the same food, but be sure to have some healthier food on hand that you can slowly make the switch to so it wont be such a shock to his system. Slowly add in healthier foods over weeks and months so he can become accustomed to new things if he hasn't had a varied diet in a while.

Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 Roxxie

Roxxie

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:39 AM

Thank you Monica.

So do you think the year in the cage will hurt his adjusting that much? I have ordered to play stands so that when he is ready he can move from room to room with me, seeing as I am only away from the house for about 2 hours a day.

#4 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

It's hard to say how well he may adjust, but greys are known for becoming too stressed out due to any amount of change. He might just be one of those more well rounded greys where-in change hardly phases him. You wont know how well he'll do until you bring him home.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#5 Jag

Jag

Parrots are a Privilege

• Members
  • 6759 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

I have a Grey who was neglect and left in a rabbit cage with no perches or toys for 6 years. She obviously was a well bred Grey... she adjusted and after 7 months was able to be moved and step up onto a bare hand. She goes camping with us in the summer most weekends. There's hope at the end of the tunnel. If the bird was only locked in its cage for a year, you may be in for an easier ride. Don't push off the vet visit. I took mine to the vet within the first week. You want to keep ahead of possible illness from poor diet, zinc poisoning or psitticosis.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

In order of appearance:
Rayne-F Cinnamon GCC- Diva of the home
Rico-M Sun - lovey goofball
Special appearances by rehomes/rescues:
"The Rowdy Boys" (my much loved 'Thugs')
Papi-M Sun
Angel-M Jenday

and
Ziva-F CAG "Brilliance Beloved" (and she is!) :wub:
Special Cameo Appearances by
Asha-B&G Macaw residing at TGF
Cricket-daughter's GCC

#6 M i k e

M i k e

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:09 AM

I have a Grey who was neglect and left in a rabbit cage with no perches or toys for 6 years. She obviously was a well bred Grey... she adjusted and after 7 months was able to be moved and step up onto a bare hand. She goes camping with us in the summer most weekends. There's hope at the end of the tunnel. If the bird was only locked in its cage for a year, you may be in for an easier ride. Don't push off the vet visit. I took mine to the vet within the first week. You want to keep ahead of possible illness from poor diet, zinc poisoning or psitticosis.

I love the quote in your signature. So true!
Nigel a Sun Conure (with dulcet tones)
Two Nameless Miniature Doves (they don't come when I call anyway)
Makenzie a Hahn's Macaw (loves hiding in a book bag)
Mardy a Greenwing Macaw (comes without being asked)

#7 M i k e

M i k e

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:11 AM

I would ask the present owners what happened a year ago to cause this sudden change in the bird's living conditions.

The bird's name isn't Hannibal, by any chance, is it? Just asking...

Instead of leaving the cage door open you may find you need to weld it shut (just kidding, of course).
Nigel a Sun Conure (with dulcet tones)
Two Nameless Miniature Doves (they don't come when I call anyway)
Makenzie a Hahn's Macaw (loves hiding in a book bag)
Mardy a Greenwing Macaw (comes without being asked)

#8 Johnni Gade

Johnni Gade

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Well, i definitly think you should try and handtame him, but be patient ofcourse.
African Greys: Thor & Luna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users