#1 zboyz

zboyz

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationcrete nebraska

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

I am building on to my office for the new birds I am going to get...
I have had parrots in the past and not really had the means to take care of them, or the freedom that they deserved...
so, that is why I am building on to my office... I am at my office most of the time ( sun up to almost sun down ) I know pathetic... lolol
the new addition will be approx. 10 x 18, main bird area will be about 10 x 12... with an outside pen ( not a flight pen as it would have to be a very very large pen to have a macaw flight pen ) lol
but it will let them get some fresh air.. the outside pen will be made of 1/4" steel bars 4" apart, with steel mesh wire lining, and screen to keep mosquitos out....
in the aviary I want it to be as tropical and as much like the tropics as possible from plants to the humidity.... ( I know they will really tear up the plants... and I am being careful not to have any toxic plants in here as well.. )
I will also be using daylight bulbs, grow lights misters as well as a water fall/shallow pond...

here is where I need help or suggestions..... I want the humidity up there, so as far as walls that rules out drywall, or any kind of particle board... so, what can I use on the walls and cieling that wont rot or more so wont mold.... ? but still will have some kind of sound reducing factor unlike metal ( which would not help the humidity at all )

I am also going to have openings into my office so I can see and interact with my birds all day even when I have customers.... I will have another perch in my actual office so they will be welcome right there with me when I dont have customers in the office..
but for the openings I will have cage like wire that will open, as well as tempered glass that will be able to be opened and closed depending on the amount of noise... ha ha...

Is there anything that you would suggest other than what I am already doing ?

one more thing... I am using Cove Heat ( which is a radiant heat system that is not supposed to take moisture from the air )

hope I have not totally confused everyone.. ha ha...
thanks
Shawn

#2 zboyz

zboyz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationcrete nebraska

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

I guess I forgot to ad or ask, what is the best way to raise the humidity ? humidifiers only raised the humidity in the room that I have a few conures in to about 39 % what I am shooting for is at least 60%-70% short of putting a sauna or steam room in what are my options ? now in the summer time here in nebraska I can just open the windows and doors and it will be around 90% ha ha

#3 M i k e

M i k e

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

Hmm I've never heard of someone worrying about humidity for Macaws. Where did you read that humidity was important?

As for what materials you should consider, I suggest any outdoor siding should work. Be sure to put bars between the birds and the siding, otherwise they'll tear it apart.
Nigel a Sun Conure (with dulcet tones)
Two Nameless Miniature Doves (they don't come when I call anyway)
Makenzie a Hahn's Macaw (loves hiding in a book bag)
Mardy a Greenwing Macaw (comes without being asked)

#4 zboyz

zboyz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationcrete nebraska

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

I love this forum..
I was told by a woman that had several parrots ( macaws, cockatoos, and I think even a few of the bigger conures or amazons) I cant remember its been awhile... but with my parrots if I dont keep the humidity up there skin gets dry and itchy... now I have conures, and years ago had a cockatoo and a macaw...

Are Macaws different than other parrots as far as needing to keep there skin from getting dry ? I thought the main ones that didnt have to worry about that were the greys and cockatoos... any heavier dander bird.

There are sooo many great discussions and I have learned alot more than I already knew... just goes to show you, just when you think you know everything about bird you realize there is sooooo much more to learn.. lolol
thanks again shawn

#5 zboyz

zboyz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Locationcrete nebraska

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Macaws are used to a humid climate and without bathing their feathers will dry out and become itchy causing them to chew on them. You can spray them down with room temperature tap water or a commercial bird bath. Many owners just take their Macaw into the shower with them. They make shower perches for Macaws.

this is just the first thread I found on macaws...
they are the same as my conures, I could spray them down or have a bird bath but would like to have it a bit humid for some of the bird safe tropical plants anyway, and I will also have a waterfall/shallow pond in the habitat anyway... but anything I can do to make it more like the tropics the better for the bird as well as me...
I just do not want to worry about mold either.. and have since found out that most molds and mites start forming at about 60 % humidity... so, that I will have to be carefull with as well...
I like the siding Idea... and your right maybe I can just cover it with some kind of mesh to keep them from tearing it up...
thank you

#6 ParrotLife

ParrotLife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMaitland, Florida

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Awesome project.. I'm looking to build an aviary in my backyard for my b&g macaw eventually.
I just wanted to add about the humidiy- My macaw was already a habitual plucker when I adopted her, and her avian vet told me to use a humidifier in the house right next to her cage at all times to help relieve her dry skin and irritation in hopes to reduce the plucking. I believe he mention that in the wild they are use to 80% or so (don't quote me on that number though ;) ).
Scott & Nika (B&G Macaw)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users