17 replies to this topic

#1 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hey guys,

I purchased a pair of lovebirds a few days ago. They are around 2 years old and I believe a male and female (but have not done DNA test , was told by previous owner so ot sure). I purchased them from their previous owner, who said they did not have the time to take care of them properly so they wants to find them a new home. My grandmother had gotten me lovebirds when I was much younger but they were really hers because mostly i just changed water and for and they stayed with her.

So I am really a new Parront and I need all the help, tips and ideas I can get. I have named them Stud and Muffin. I believe they are peach face lovebirds. One is Dutch blue and the other I believe is pied violet. I am only going by pictures I saw online so I could be wrong.

I am trying to work on them trusting me. I know they are not tamed and I need help with it. I read that I should try and feed them a treat or something through the cage first. I have been trying that for a few days but they won't even come near me. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know it is going to take a while to get their trust, I guess I'm just really eager lol. So tips on what to do would be great on that.

Also with feeding them it seems the previous owner only fed them bird seeds. I read they should get veggies and some fruit as well. I tried going slow and trying a banana slice but they won't touch it. I would like some help on what foods to try that have been successful when getting them to broaden their food diet. I also wanted to know recommended bird toys and how to get them interested in them. I received some toys when I got the birds but I don't think they are really interested in them because I don't se them playing with them at all. Could also be they are still nervous in their new surroundings.

I also wanted to know about covering them at night, if you should do it or it does not matter. I currently do not cover them at night and they seem perfectly fine but I want to learn what is best for them. I tried to talk to them for a bit but they still scurry to the other side of the cage when I get anywhere near them. Am I doing something wrong and what can I do to calm them and what techniques to use to get them to trust me? I am sorry that this is so long but I am completely new to this so I have a lot of questions. I did do research before getting them but it a,ways seems not enough and I always want first hand experience opinions because they always seem the best. If I have any wrong information please correct me and please tell me anything I should know even if I did not mention it here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this for I know it ridiculously long but I really care about my animals and want what is best for them and I know you guys do too. Thank you so much. Also what is normal behavior like nibbling on their feet and scratching. I noticed that sometimes when on their perches they will stand on one leg is that normal or does that mean something is wrong. I will be getting bigger perches soon because I read that their feet are not supposed to wrap around them and the perches that came with the cage when I purchased them are to small. Their feet just barely do not wrap around but I think they still might be small. Could this be why they stand on one leg at times or is at normal? Is the information about the size of the perches correct or was I give wrong information?

Do love birds need a nesting box or is that only for breeding?

I was also wondering about biting, honestly I am a bit afraid. I am afraid because of the obvious, if it will hurt bad but mostly I am afraid that I might jerk my hand and might hurt them, scare them and/ or cause more distrust. What can I do to get over the fear and what ways should I handle the situation if and when I do get bit?

Sorry guys I know I have a lot of questions, please don't kill me lol
I know the best information is from those with experience and it's great to have it all in one shot so I can look back at one thing and have it in or place.

Once again thank you, I look forward to any tips and help I can get.

P.S this is a repost because I did not get any replies in the BB discussion, so I figured I would try here.

#2 Sterling

Sterling

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

So I am really a new Parront and I need all the help, tips and ideas I can get. I have named them Stud and Muffin. I believe they are peach face lovebirds. One is Dutch blue and the other I believe is pied violet. I am only going by pictures I saw online so I could be wrong.

Could you post some pictures of them on here? People might be able to help in what variation they are if you showed us.

I am trying to work on them trusting me. I know they are not tamed and I need help with it. I read that I should try and feed them a treat or something through the cage first. I have been trying that for a few days but they won't even come near me. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I know it is going to take a while to get their trust, I guess I'm just really eager lol. So tips on what to do would be great on that.

Some birds are intimidated by stuff they've never had before, so it means introducing it to them before feeding it to them. What are you trying to feed them as a treat? Have they ever had it before? I have a 'treat-cup' and a 'food-cup' in my bird's cage. I put her regular pellet food in the food cup and special stuff in the other such as fresh veggies or fruit, pumpkin seeds, seed food, boiled egg, etc. I have a hanger for my millet spray. I don't have millet constantly in there though. I did this because she wouldn't really want to eat fresh foods, but knew that 'good stuff' would be in that cup. I would cut up the veggies really small and mix it up her seed food and she would it all (thinking it was a treat). I'm sure other people have different techniques, or even stuff you could find online..but this is what works for me. She also is really interested in stuff that I'm eating, so I've been trying eating uncut veggies and leaving some on the plate for her and she will eat it.

I also wanted to know recommended bird toys and how to get them interested in them. I received some toys when I got the birds but I don't think they are really interested in them because I don't se them playing with them at all. Could also be they are still nervous in their new surroundings.

They could be nervous in their new surroundings. What kind of toys do they have right now? Maybe you should go out and get a variety (you can get some cheapies :P) and see what they do/ don't like. I recommend anything with bells. I'll link you to some stuff I currently have in my cage so you can get an idea of what stuff you might want to try. Also, don't forget to switch things out so they don't get bored of the same old thing. This doesn't mean you have to get rid of the toy, just replace it with a different one for a couple of weeks. The main focus though is to get stuff they like, yet have it be mentally stimulating..different colors, sizes, shapes, sounds, material, etc.

http://www.petsmart....47252&lmdn=Bird
http://www.petsmart....47487&lmdn=Bird
http://www.petsmart....47488&lmdn=Bird

(I also have an item called shredders. It's like 30 feet of of palm leaves weaved into a rope. You can tie it up anywhere in the cage and they just well....shred it :P)

I also wanted to know about covering them at night, if you should do it or it does not matter. I currently do not cover them at night and they seem perfectly fine but I want to learn what is best for them. I tried to talk to them for a bit but they still scurry to the other side of the cage when I get anywhere near them. Am I doing something wrong and what can I do to calm them and what techniques to use to get them to trust me?

Some people do...some people don't. I cover mine up at night and leave a little space if she wants to actually look out. I do this because her cage is placed in the family room...which isn't that too far from the living room...where we usually are at all hours of the night. I want her to get a deep sleep so I feel that if she is covered she won't really be disturbed by any lights and whatnot. I heard it keeps them warmer as well.

Also what is normal behavior like nibbling on their feet and scratching. I noticed that sometimes when on their perches they will stand on one leg is that normal or does that mean something is wrong. I will be getting bigger perches soon because I read that their feet are not supposed to wrap around them and the perches that came with the cage when I purchased them are to small. Their feet just barely do not wrap around but I think they still might be small. Could this be why they stand on one leg at times or is at normal? Is the information about the size of the perches correct or was I give wrong information?

They're just stretching really. You should have perches that are different sized and even different textures like wood or rope. You can get natural perches at the store that are like a tree branch and just hook on to the side of the cage. If you get these, you might want to use sand paper to roughen up the surface so it's easier for them to grip if it's really smooth.

Do love birds need a nesting box or is that only for breeding?

I would only have a nesting box if I was breeding. Some people give them to their birds as a 'comfort' thing, but I feel it would just put them in 'the mood' so I would prefer not to.

I was also wondering about biting, honestly I am a bit afraid. I am afraid because of the obvious, if it will hurt bad but mostly I am afraid that I might jerk my hand and might hurt them, scare them and/ or cause more distrust. What can I do to get over the fear and what ways should I handle the situation if and when I do get bit?

It doesn't really hurt all that badly to be honest. One thing to never do is make loud noises or yell when they bite, it's exciting for them usually and only encourages it. Lovebirds are usually nippy birds in general. There really isn't nothing to do to get over the fear really....it's going to happen at some point. Just remind yourself that it's not going to hurt. If they're on your finger when they do it, gently shake your arm up and down (like an earthquake) so it puts them off balance. They'll associated being off balance (which they hate) with biting and will hopefully stop/cut down on the behavior. Paying attention to body language can help you not get bit as well.

Hope I helped! :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground WA

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

The lovebirds that I know enjoy their tents. Like a Scooter Z convertible tent or a Hangall Pet Tent.
Those are favorites!

Lovies are little buzz saws. Keep them supplied with lots to chew.
Try a Starburst, or this Card Stacker with wood and cardboard.

Your little birds may need weeks or longer to get settled in a new environment. Just go slow and be patient. They will get used to you.

Birds stand on one leg when they are comfortable and resting. It is good to have different perches made of different items and slightly different sizes.

Were the birds covered at their old home? If they were I would keep doing it for now.

Have fun with your new little ones!!
Christa

#4 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Thank you both so much. I was very anxious for a response because although I have been doing research I still feel blind in a sense. All the information is so very helpful and thorough which I appreciate greatly. I know I had a lot to ask so I appreciate you both taking the time to read and answer. I will post pictures as soon as I can. I only have picture on my phone and I have not figured out a way to post pictures via my phone. (if that is even possible). I should have the pictures up later today when I can get to the desktop.

#5 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

[IMG]http://i9.photobucke...lic/sobirdy.jpg[/img]

I am not sure if the picture worked but here is a picture of Stud & Muffin

#6 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I put her regular pellet food in the food cup and special stuff in the other such as fresh veggies or fruit, pumpkin seeds, seed food, boiled egg, etc.

I am going to try that, I hope it works as I really would like them to eat some veggies, fruit, eggs, etc.

I also purchased a bag of Zoo Vital, does anyone know if this is actually good for the birds as a fruit supplement/ transition food. I have read the the reviews and have tried to get some research on it but I have found nothing negative. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or comments on the product.

I will def purchase some toys with bells and

Lovies are little buzz saws. Keep them supplied with lots to chew.
Try a Starburst, or this Card Stacker with wood and cardboard.

hopefully that will get them interested.

#7 Sterling

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Posted Image

The image link didn't quite work so I re-posted the picture for you :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thank you for reposting, I could not figure it out. I was just crossing my fingers, hoping I was the only one that could not see it.

. I believe they are peach face lovebirds. One is Dutch blue and the other I believe is pied violet. I am only going by pictures I saw online so I could be wrong.

Was I correct about the type of lovebirds they are? I was wondering since I was really just going by some pictures I found on a website.

#9 Sterling

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

I may not be 100% right, but I think what you guessed is correct. Is it just the picture or does the pied's face have some brownish tones on his face? Maybe I'm just seeing things but it might be a cinnamon on top of that lol. Which one is stud and which one is muffin? :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

I checked to make sure but I believe it is just the picture. I did not see any brown tones on the face, unless it is very light and I am not seeing it.. The dutch blue is Stud, which so happens to be the boy ( as i was told). Muffin is the female pied. I have not DNA tested them so I am not 100% percent sure if what I was told was correct. I am just going by the previous owners word and I am not positive that they DNA tested them. Well, if they have babies and I see Muffin lay eggs then I know for sure that she in fact is a female ;) . If they are not the sex I was told, I am not worried since I am not really keeping them to breed. It would be nice to have some babies to give to a friend of mine, since she recently lost her bird and she loves them, I would give her a couple. Other then that I would not be affected if they are both males or females.

#11 macawpower58

macawpower58

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2183 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

I know nothing about Lovies, just wanted to say yours are gorgeous!

Becky.....Where Fur and Feather Meet.

Posted Image

My Albums

#12 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

I know nothing about Lovies, just wanted to say yours are gorgeous!

Thank you very much. I think they are very pretty as well. Now I just have to try and see if I can get them tamed so they can be pretty and sweet :-)

#13 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Great pic! Lovebirds are so cute!
Christa

#14 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Sorry Sterling and Ashbirdlady,

I just figured out how to properly quote someone yesterday. Sorry I did not do it properly with your posts.

#15 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

That is ok. No worries!
Christa

#16 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

How are your lovies doing?
Christa

#17 personatus

personatus

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Stud is a D aqua SF violet (also known as dutch blue violet) An aqua bird with 1 dark factor and 1 violet factor.
Muffin in a DD aqua pied (also known as dark dutch blue pied). An aqua bird with 2 dark factors and pied.

#18 Lovie Parront

Lovie Parront

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

How are your lovies doing?

Stud and Muffin are doing great :) , I got them some papaya treats and they are loving them :wub: . I also am giving them some carrots, Stud tried them and seems to like them but Muffin does not seem to want to touch it, hopefully she will get interested and start munching as well.

I am also working on the trust issue, I have been leaving them alone because it seemed even trying to give them a treat through the bars was not working. But since I have been giving them their space, yesterday when I refilled their food bowls Muffin came down and started munching away with my hand still in the cage, so I think we are having some progress :D . It is not much but I am happy that we are getting some where.

I bought them a swing and they love it :wub: . They are so cute when they jump on it together and start swinging. I also got them a millet spray holder and it is also a swing that has bells so they love that even when it does not have anything in it. I take it out though because they are always nibbling on it because they know what goes in there and I don't want to torture them lol.

So for now it seems they are very happy, I let them out of their cage and they like flying around and they seems to be able to go in when they want. I just wish they would not poop when they are out. Is there a trick on that or is it hopeless? I hate having to go on a hunt looking for droppings once they go back in their cage.

Stud is a D aqua SF violet (also known as dutch blue violet) An aqua bird with 1 dark factor and 1 violet factor. Muffin in a DD aqua pied (also known as dark dutch blue pied). An aqua bird with 2 dark factors and pied.

Thank you so much Personatus, I had no idea what type of lovebirds they are. I was only going by pictures when I searched on web pages. Thank you so much :D . It is nice knowing what kind they are. Especially if they suddenly decide to have babies (that is assuming they can have babies).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Feeding, Tips, Behavior, Flying, Taming, pair, Dutch blue, Pied violet, Trust, Toys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users