1 reply to this topic

#1 karen256

karen256

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'm wondering what other people feed their Linnies.
Mine came with a little bag of seed, a mix of parakeet and cockatiel seed, and I was also told he got a dish of veggies in the morning and he especially liked broccoli and carrots.
Turns out he's a little picky with veggies, but he does love sweet potato and carrot.
What surprised me is how picky he is with his seeds. He eats the sunflower seed, and then some other small dark brown seed (smaller than millet). He just won't touch other seeds. The first day I had him I was offering him broccoli (which it turns out he doesnt really like), and he was getting so hungry he was shoveling seed from his dish and picking through it obsessively, hoping to find more of the 2 seeds he would eat. I ended up getting him some spray millet the next day to help tide him over while I figured out his favorite veggies.
But... a diet of sweet potato, carrots, spray millet, and a few sunflower seeds a day isn't exactly a complete diet. He refuses to eat 95% of the seed mix I was given, and most of what he will eat is sunflower seed, which is hardly the best.
Feathered Art - custom pet portrait woodcarvings

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

You might try feeding sprouted seeds. Even if he's picky, at least sprouted are healthier.

What about incorporating pellets into the diet? Although, no more than 25-50%?

And keep trying to find different ways to prepare and offer the foods! Hang it up, weave it through the cage bars, put it on a kebob, mix it with grains, legumes, or put it into corn bread!
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users