• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 keok1

keok1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

I have a female white faced lovebird and male peach faced lovebird that are mating and laying eggs. They have both proven to be very determined and she will not stop laying eggs. at first she would just lay one and i would leave it there for a long, long time and she wouldn't sit on it or anything but then she would lay another one and the cycle continued. well this time around she made herself a pretty good little nest by taking her rope perch apart piece by piece and started laying more. I didn't know what to do so i got a nesting box for her and moved things in there and now she has a total of five eggs. She has been sitting on them for around 3 weeks now and they are all fertile. are her hatchlings going to be what they call "hybrid's?"

thanks and any advice would be welcome. i have done allot of reading but am obviously very new to this. thank you.

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

If "white faced lovebird" means a mutation of the peach face lovebird, then no, the offspring will not be hybrids.

If you mean a mutation of another species, then yes, the offspring would be hybrids. If you can provide pictures, we could confirm for you whether or not they are the same species.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 keok1

keok1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

The top picture is the one of the lovebirds that have been mating and laying eggs. the bottom picture is of one of the lovebirds when she was allot younger with our yellow sided conure. Just in case you needed a better picture there they are.

Also, yesterday i noticed a very very small bit of a pip on one of the eggs and this morning there was another itsy bitsy one on that same egg. Are things with this egg progressing as they should? . This morning there were also teeny tiny pips on two of the other eggs but so small and only in one spot on both eggs. I can still see the baby moving in one of the eggs without a pip but i cant see anything in the other eggs anymore.

Thanks in advance.

#4 keok1

keok1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

sky (lovebird in the second picture) looks allot whiter now then when she was a baby. let me know if you need better pictures.

#5 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

They are both peachfaces! I'm not sure of exact mutations. They are a gorgeous pair!

It can take several hours between a chick pipping to one actually hatching, so I can't say what exactly is normal or not. I can say though that if the humidity is too low, or if the hen isn't receiving the nutrients that she needs, there could be some problems with the eggs. I hope the chicks hatch out fine!
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#6 keok1

keok1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks so much!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users