• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stylin1230

stylin1230

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

hi me and my partner just adoptded two baby cockatiels.a 10 week old whiteface and a 6 week old lutino.we purchased them from a reutable bird shop where we live.they are still too young to come home,so we have plenty of time to bond with them both and aquire the things they will be needing.tthe white face will come home first.i thought the few weeks age difference would be good for us all because we would have a few weeks home alone with the white face before the lutino came home.i plan on keeping them in the same cage together. its a 28wx18dx28 high flight cage.is this big enuff for the two of them? i have 4 different types of perches inside,all natural branches and a swing.do i need another perch?i do not have room in my home for another seperate cage.and my partner has stressed that he does not want 2 cages in our home under any circumstances.

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

It's a good sized cage, but if you could go larger, this would be best.

Does the cage have a variety of toys, too? Shiny toys (no mirrors), beady toys, popsicle stick like toys, and other destructible toys?

It might be better to bring them both home at the same time so that they go into their new cage at the same time, rather than at separate times. In this way, you'll have a better chance that the two would get along together rather than one deciding he doesn't like his new cage-mate all of a sudden. If you are going to bring them home at separate times, then you need to be prepared to house them separately if they don't get along, and even then, you should have plans to cage them separate if they don't get along even if you do bring them home together.

Cockatiels are generally pretty good about cage-mates (I have 5 tiels and a bourke in a 32x21x35 cage), but you should still be prepared for worst case scenario.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 stylin1230

stylin1230

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

oh yes theres a varirty of different toys in the cage and then i have about 5 toys out of the cage to rotate with.i am looking for a good playstand for them to come out on as well.

#4 stylin1230

stylin1230

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

well i heeded your advice and went back to the bird store today and exchanged my cage for the same one but bigger.the new one is 32 long x 35 high x 21 deep.i hope they will be happier in this bigger cage.i thought my partner was going to be upset but he said it looked pretty,so i hope everyone will be happy.

#5 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

It seems that many people who may be against birds and detest them often warm up to birds once the bird shows them some attention!

You can either buy a play stand, or build one yourself. You can use PVC, dowels, natural safe perches, etc. You could even "build" a play area on the outside of the cage using rope perches, natural wood perches, wire "bridges", and all sorts of stuff! Lots of tiels love to chew and destroy things, so the more destructible things they have, the happier they'll be! Just try not crowd the cage up too much! :lol: (still trying to figure out how to incorporate a foraging station in my tiels cage without buying a new cage for them... :rolleyes: )

I know one tiel owner built her two tiels a "metropolis" on the outside of their cages, full of lots of things to explore, chew and eat! Her tiels, especially her 'little boy' seems to love it!
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users