4 replies to this topic

#1 Eliz Aisling

Eliz Aisling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBethesda, MD, USA

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

So, at the pet store where I work, we sell these little books for medical records. We sell dog ones and cat ones, and they look like little passports. I think it's an ingenious idea for those of us who travel/plan to travel with our pets, but I don't know of anything like that for birds. I have a three-ring binder for Calliope where I will be keeping her travel documents, vet records, health certs, etc., but it would be nice to have something pocket-sized too, for quick reference.

So I was thinking, I could come up with something myself and have it printed at a place like Staples. But they don't print anything that small, and the only places I can find that do print booklets that small require you to purchase at least ten, and it's way expensive.

Does anyone have ideas, or have you seen a similar record-keeping type thing for pet birds that's small like a passport? Please let me know!

Posted Image

CALLIOPE
(/kəˈlaɪ.əpiː/; Ancient Greek: Καλλιόπη, "beautiful voice")

#2 captainron

captainron

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

I would suggest using a program like word or if you have access to it Microsoft Publisher. Make your own pages its easy to make a booklet. You can print them on any kind of paper you want, Use a heavier card stock for the cover then cut the sheets so they are 8.5 x 5.5. Fold those sheets in half and staple. MS Publisher and Word both have templates for making booklets.

#3 5minters

5minters

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

What you keep in that small book? Like you, I have a three ring binder that I keep things in. I even have a section for reciepts for their food and other supplies in case someone other than me has to care for them suddenly and needs to know what they eat and a section for printouts of recipes that I cook for them routinely. It isn't as neat and tidy as it should be but I try. I can't imagine what I would keep in a pocket size that would be of any use. If you are traveling, you need the real health certificate. Just a note in a book isn't going to help you. Honestly, in the dark ages when I worked at the vet clinic, we had those little pocket shot records for dogs and cats and they are cute but really useless. The only time they were helpful was when puppies and kittens were getting their first shots and had to come in every few weeks. It was easier to keep track of how many times they had been in and how many to go. But it doesn't proove anything was done, you know what I mean, it isn't a real shot record and no one will accept it as proof of vet care. Since birds don't get annual vax (or extremely few do anyway) I don't know what you would need to keep in the little book. Tell me what you would put in it and I'll see if I can find a good template for you.

#4 Eliz Aisling

Eliz Aisling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationBethesda, MD, USA

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Thanks folks,

I understand that I need the real health certs and everything. I guess I just wanted it for reference, something little I could maybe attach to her carrier with a history of her vet appointments and some basic care info. Not really necessary but I kind of like the idea of a "birdie passport".

I ended up picking up a couple Moleskine Volant notebooks at my local bookstore and will probably print everything by hand.

Thanks for the help though!

Posted Image

CALLIOPE
(/kəˈlaɪ.əpiː/; Ancient Greek: Καλλιόπη, "beautiful voice")

#5 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground WA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

I like that idea. Mini "shot" or med records. One of the rescues came up with one but it is expensive. Now I can't find the link. Kind of a a baby book for your parrot. Keep track of favorite toys, foods, vet records etc.
Christa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users