Photo
- - - - -

Can lovebirds be taught to tolerate other bird species?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mondo

mondo

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

I already owned some canaries, and I'm interested in getting a young lovebird to tame and play with (it'd be closer to me than the canaries).

Also I have this decent sized aviary, which I will treat as flight room.
So the bird's cages will still be inside for them to come back for food and sleep.
The aviary lets them exercise and socialize with me and other pets.

Will the young lovebird harm the canaries? Or will it just simply tolerate them... I understand canaries don't like lovebird's cuddle and affection so I didn't expect them to love each other... Just don't kill...
Is there any proper way to introduce and make them befriend each other?
Thanks

#2 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground WA

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

I would be super careful. Don't leave them un-supervised.
Christa

#3 mondo

mondo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

I would be super careful. Don't leave them un-supervised.

i see... you know what, i think i'll just clip the lovebird's wing feathers (in the right way) so it can be let to play indoors.
ocasionally i'd let it play in the aviary with the canaries... supervised of course... but if it becomes dangerous i won't put it there anymore...

so how do i choose the best personality in young birds?

#4 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Honestly, I don't feel as if it's a good idea to mix soft bills (passeriformes) with hook bills (psittacines), especially not lovebirds. Yes, it's possible, but you would need to put like-minded species together, and lovebirds are nothing like canaries!

Is the aviary large enough that you could split it in half or partition it so that the lovebird could have it's own area?
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#5 mondo

mondo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

Honestly, I don't feel as if it's a good idea to mix soft bills (passeriformes) with hook bills (psittacines), especially not lovebirds. Yes, it's possible, but you would need to put like-minded species together, and lovebirds are nothing like canaries! Is the aviary large enough that you could split it in half or partition it so that the lovebird could have it's own area?

um, sadly no... the aviary is just a simple 1,5m x 2,5m... partitioning it would make it look cramped and full...
ah well, lovebirds don't have to meet canaries, maybe just put its cage beside them and see how they react

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users