6 replies to this topic

#1 margy

margy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hello everyone:
It's been awhile since I have posted. Nice to be back. I finally found a veterinarian in my area that does avian work ups and sees many parrots. She's not board certified avian vet but seems very knowledgeable.

Kahli's left foot has been slowly losing strength. He had an injury about 7 years ago. I suspect he fell off his swing but not sure since I was at work. The vet that saw him then said if Kahli is perching well and seems ok then he did not recommend any treatment.

After calling vets all over the state of Maine, I was referred to this veterinarian who seemed experienced with birds and she was in my area. I was very impressed with her. Kahli's current status over the last 2 days is that he is spending most of his time at the bottom of his cage. It is very difficult for him to climb up to his swing that he loves. A few days ago he was swinging well on it. He left foot is increasingly compromised, and is on it's side when Kahli lays on the floor of his cage. Kahli is between 19 and 22 years old.

Dr. Carter did a complete avian panel work up including CBC and trimmed his beak since it was getting longer. She is concerned about possible lead poisoning from toys. Kahli had a bell for some time that maybe contained lead. She is also concerned that Kahli may have arthritis in his feet. She says his other foot is also not grabbing that strong. They tried to do x rays but Kahli moved too much and she said they would have to slightly sedate him to get x rays later on. She first wants to rule out lead poisoning. If he does not have lead poisoning it may be arthritis and they can give him antiinflamatory meds. This vet is currently treating an african grey for arthritis and the bird is improving.

Sadly, when I asked if arthritis in his feet could shorten his life, she said yes since he may not be able to perch well. Dr. Carter recommended getting different size wooden perches and put them close to the floor. I already have one in place now.

Kahli loves to sit on the couch with me and vet said that was ok. This really sucks. In hindsight I should have taken him to Angel Memorial in Boston. He's always ate well and enjoyed his swing up until this point. More recently he tended to stay in one place in his cage. Luckily I have summer's off so I can spend lots of time with him and he enjoys that.

I find out next week about his blood tests. Hoping for something treatable that will improve Kahli's mobility. I made him a comfy place at the bottom of his cage and he has his perch there too with his food and water. I change his papers whenever they get soiled so he stays nice and clean....just feeling very sad. I have had Kahli for 9 years (second owner).

Sorry for the long email.

Marg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Taja" my Cinnamon Green Cheek

#2 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground WA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:54 AM

No problem Marg. Completely understandable. Many birds live with platforms instead of perches. You can cover them with fleece too for more comfort.
Tests always seem to take so long to return
Christa

#3 margy

margy

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for your reply. This forum seems very inactive, not like it used to be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Taja" my Cinnamon Green Cheek

#4 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

yes there have been a lot of changes
Christa

#5 Chew

Chew

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 302 posts
  • LocationBrunswick, Maine

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hi Margy, I too am from Maine. Sorry to hear of the issues with Kahli. I have been seeing a vet in Yarmouth who seems reasonably knowledgeable with birds. However Maine is a huge state...
My car can pop a wheelie and get 30mpg...

My blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

#6 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

Any news yet? Did i wait long enough to ask?
Christa

#7 RXK

RXK

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

i know this is really late (i didn't see your posts until now, Margy) but any news?? how is Kahli???? i have to say that i'm rather concerned given that you stopped posting after this post. please update when you can.

hoping to hear good news.
Save your health, save the planet, save animals: go vegetarian/vegan!

Spread the word. Change the destiny of billions of helpless animals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users