• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RoseRings

RoseRings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

So, I have a VERY aggressive female parakeet, and I want to tame her. I've had her for almost a year, and she's never liked being handled. It seems like all she wants to do is stay in her cage, every time I put my hand in her cage, she makes the "mad bird" sound. She doesn't like any fruits or vegetables either. I got a budgie for a nice companion, not an aggressive one! She bites too! Once she drew blood. I really hope she's not hopeless!

Please give me tips on how I can tame her, I love my bird, and I want her to be happy.

Thank you for your time!

~RoseRings

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Is she really aggressive? Or is she telling you that she does not feel comfortable with your presence and to back off? And when you refuse to leave her alone (as, being in a cage, she's trapped and can't fly away), she bites?

I've found it rather easy to win birds over with food and treats. Give them enough food to eat for a day, and at night, if there's any left over, take it out. First thing in the morning, offer food from your hand just inside the cage. Don't shove the food in the birds face, but let the bird come to you. If they want to eat, they will! If they don't and after 15 or so minutes, remove your hand, refresh the food in their dishes and try again the next day. Earning trust can be a slow process, but it's rewarding.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 RoseRings

RoseRings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Well, every time I try to pet her, or offer her my hand, she either bites or flies away. I haven't been mean to her, I haven't ever hit or shouted at her. I mean what else do you think it could be besides aggression? Sometimes she will let me hold her, but rarely.

I've tried that before, it's almost like she doesn't even know that the fruits and vegetables are food, and she's never eaten a treat either.

Also, why do you think that she's like this? I really want to help her.

#4 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

If you didn't trust some giant that you could fit inside the mouth of, would you enjoy being petted or interacted with? I'm only trying to get you to understand her from *her* perspective. This is how I determine aggression vs fear.

Aggression - Bird goes out of their way to attack or harm you.

Fear - Bird is afraid of you, and the more you push the bird, and the bird can't escape, the more likely the bird is going to bite.

Now with that in mind, is she acting aggressively? Or is she afraid? Is she going after your hand as soon as you open the cage door and present your hand? Or is she warning you with verbal and body language that she doesn't like nor trust you, and when you persist, she bites?

You can feed seeds or millet by hand. Grains, legumes, vegetables and some fruits should be a part of the diet, *NOT* a treat. Maybe these two videos may help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk

Posted Image

#5 ashbirdlady

ashbirdlady

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground WA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

I have always had excellent luck with millet. Start with a larger piece and position your hand in the cage holding the millet. Be prepared to stay still for awhile. Talk softly.....The Call of the millet is strong!
Christa

#6 RoseRings

RoseRings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

Hmm, then I think fear is the problem.

Okay, well if she isn't aggressive, and if it is fear, What can I do? How would I be able to tame a fearful bird?

She's eaten out of my hand before, that isn't new to her. I'm just trying to find another effective way to tame her, or to get her not to be afraid of my hand.

#7 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Understanding your bird is half the battle! Learning how to work with her is another!

If she is used to eating out of her hand, you can use that to your benefit! Teach her that being with you can be enjoyable! Here's a video of teaching a budgie to step up using food.

Living With Parrots Cage Free: Bucky and Strider - Millet Eating Fiends!

Posted Image

#8 RXK

RXK

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

excellent advice given above as per usual.

you have to let her come to you and not force yourself on her. leave her door open in a safe, closed environment where she can come to you if she likes. always be calm and patient (it may take a long while for her to start to trust you). entice her with food treats during this time. never force her to do anything and never force yourself on her -it will only increase her fear.

good luck and please update when you can.
Save your health, save the planet, save animals: go vegetarian/vegan!

Spread the word. Change the destiny of billions of helpless animals.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aggressive, budgie, bite, fly, female

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users