Photo
- - - - -

New "Cling-on" Mommy with questions (AKA Jenday Conure)

niping biting noises while sleeping screaming when I leave handfeeding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Farmer Bunny

Farmer Bunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

My little "Cling-on" named Zombie was born May, 29th, 2012. I purchased him from a small local pet shop on September 11th. They kept him till the 29th due to hand feeding. I was at the pet shop 2 some times 3 times a day for about an hour each time to bond with him so coming home would be easier on him. When they let me bring him home they had me hand feeding him 2 times a day. I did that for about a week and the Avian Vet said to stop. I was informed that he was old enough and should have been weened a long time before he even came home. I took her advice and stopped because he was eating seed as well as some fruits, veggies, and hard boiled egg whites and shell. As soon as the hand feeding stopped, so did ALL of his eating. After becoming very concerned about his weight I went back to once a day. I give him about 1 tablespoon of formula with 2 tablespoons of water. He doesnt normally eat it all, he walks away about half way in to it but eats his normal diet after that all day long. Is it ok that I have to keep doing this?

He has also taken in the last 2 days to biting, not the normal nibbeling and "beaking" or testing to see if things are stable but to almost draw blood at times. He starts randomly moving his head around like a crazy bird and then just bites what ever is close enough to get a hold of. What is the reason and what can I do?

No one told me that he would "talk" in his sleep. Is this normal? He grinds his beak, makes little tiny chirps and cute little baby squacks while he is sleeping. It doesnt bother me, I find it very sweet. I just wanted to make sure it isnt a sign of stress or some thing like that.

Every time I move from my seat, which is right next to his cage, whether he can see me or not, he screams bloody murder. Its like some one is killing him slowly. Why is he doing this if he can still see me? I cant even put him on his play area and put him in the kitchen next to me when I do dishes, he has to be on my shoulder, head, or neck. I dont like him on my shoulder when I am in the kitchen because I am afraid he will fall in to the sink and drown or fall in to the pot of food and get cooked.

He is only in his cage when I am at school or running errands which is less than 12 hours a week and at bed time. I leave music on when I leave so he has something to sing with. I talk to him a lot. I have ADHD and I get bored fast so he keeps me on my toes and we always have stuff to talk about! I do make sure he has 12 hours of undisturbed sleep time even though he gets up in about 8. His cage has a nice heavy flannel cover to keep him warm with the cooler season coming. He has a large Avian Flight cage with play area on top, a play perch on my desk, a mobile play area that I move from my bedroom to the kitchen depending on how long I am going to be in other rooms. If I am only going to be a little bit I will leave him where he is but if I am folding and putting away laundry I will take him with me.

I thought I was doing every thing right but I feel like I must be doing some thing wrong for him to be having some issues. Can any one give me a few pointers? I would love to make sure he is as happy here and I am that I have him. :wub:
Harrry- Jack-a-poo- rescue
Booober- Chihauhau-rescue
Piiie- Feline-rescue
Fredddie Girl- Feline- rescue
Zombiiie- Jenday Conure- Little pet shop
Bunny- Human- Hatched by zoo keepers
Wolf- Human- Found under a rock

Put us all together and what do you have: Nothing but a couch full of unconditional and non-judgemental love!!

#2 captainron

captainron

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

If you read the other posts here in the archives about new birds and new bird owners you will see there is nothing to worry about. Your birds behaviour is normal. This is all part of growing up. They are alot like human babies in that they go through stages of development, and each one has its challenges. As to the feeding I will leave that up to others who have experience with that, Even though my Jardines and CAG where babies they were fully weaned when I took them home. BTW my Jardines still bites occasionally, even drawing blood, when I try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do. I have got really good at watching his body language to see what he is going to do.

#3 RoyJoy2

RoyJoy2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

Let the bird tell you when he is weaned, not the vet. Offer him the syringe/spoon at least once a day til he refuse it altogether. You shouldn't need to give him extra water with his formula.

He is stressed because the feeding stopped. If you let him wean naturally, at his own pace. some or all the other problems should go away.

Get another vet. preferably one with avian certification.
I have re registered due to technical problems. My user name was ROYJOY since 11-06, Now it's RoyJoy2 since 7-12. If you're looking at my post count, add 4,015 to the count shown.

My birds enjoy free flight outdoors.

Tiki -----sun conure---------------♂ hatched--3-9-6
Peepy - blue pacific parrotlet -♀ hatched--7-7-7
Ruby ---green winged macaw-♀ hatched--8-22-7
Bud -----me--------------------------♂ hatched --5-7-48

#4 Farmer Bunny

Farmer Bunny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

I am glad to see that my gut instinct was what I should have been going with all along. I dont mind feeding him either. Its fun and I feel closer to him when I am doing it.

This vet does have her avian certifcations. Thats why I was wondering why she would tell me to stop and let him get so small. He isnt that big to begin with!

I think I am even more relived to know that my little Zombie is very normal. I love having him around. He is a great listener and an awesome talker, well squacker any way!

Thank you both for your help on the matters. We moved his cage in to our bedroom last night just to make sure the dogs in their crate or the cats playing werent bothering him. I think that might have been part of the issue. He has only bit hard 1 time today and he has been up and moving since about 7am. For him thats really good. I thought I was getting him enough sleep because he was in a quiet room covered but I didnt take in to account the others also sleeping in that room could be making noise once I am asleep.

Now his mobile play area has been pretty much perminantly placed where his cage use to sit so he is still some where safe during the day and not walking across my livingroom floor. His wings are clipped, he came home that way. I worry about him trucking across the floor and the cats trying to play with him. Right now no one really messes with him but with no wings to get away from an issue I dont want him getting hurt.
Harrry- Jack-a-poo- rescue
Booober- Chihauhau-rescue
Piiie- Feline-rescue
Fredddie Girl- Feline- rescue
Zombiiie- Jenday Conure- Little pet shop
Bunny- Human- Hatched by zoo keepers
Wolf- Human- Found under a rock

Put us all together and what do you have: Nothing but a couch full of unconditional and non-judgemental love!!

#5 captainron

captainron

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:39 AM

Yes be careful with the cats. Cat saliva can be fatal to birds. Especially since zombie cant fly the cats can be a major threat. Dont leave him alone with the cats, even for just a second.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niping, biting, noises while sleeping, screaming when I leave, handfeeding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users