• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nirtsbro

nirtsbro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

bought a cockatiel 3 weeks ago she didn't look all that lively when i got her home so i did all the basic stuff that new bird owners are supposed to do. took her to a vet and got a blood test done along with a regular checkup. she checked out perfectly fine on the blood tests and everything else was good. just a few "i dont know if its a problem" things so she was put on antibodies.

now my question is as of recently she has been sneezing a quite a bit. she'll have a few sneezing fits of about 5-10 sneezes then stop for a bit, sneeze a few more times then be fine for a good hour in which she might sneeze once or twice again or not for a few more hours. this does not happen often. ive just noticed it more.

while sneezing there is no discharge other then a wet spray that ill feel if she sneezes on my face. her nares look a little red after sneezing after a while i can usually see a bit of red around the outer most area of her nares when i put her in the light then will die down to the normal brownish looking colour.

her poop is nicely formed, she will eat a lot. she could drink more water though. on a pellet diet with a seed mixture.

she'll sleep during the day if left alone in a quite place but otherwise if shes perched on me she will grab my glasses, climb, preen, bite my clothes, play, etc.
at night at around 7pm she will be super energetic and will like to explore and such.

i keep her in the basement, which ill admit is a bit dusty.

had her on antibiotics for 2 weeks, vets orders just in case there was something wrong with her.

just need to if this warrants another vet visit or not. or if im just over reacting.

forgot to mention that shes molting.

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Basements make me think of mold. Is she receiving any fresh air from outside? Did the a-vet do any gram stains?

Some sneezing is ok and to be expected, but frequent sneezing throughout the day would concern me. Would recommend moving her to a more airy part of the house and call up the a-vet, after all, the a-vet should want to do a follow up visit. It may even be possible she has something stuck in her nares that is bothering her.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 nirtsbro

nirtsbro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

not sure what a gram stain is. fresh air, probably not.. it is the middle of winter here and it is very cold outside. i will try to move her to a more openish area and see if that helps. thank you for the quick reply

#4 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Gram stain is taking a fecal example and putting it under a slide to check for bacteria and fungal infections. Same can be done with a throat swab.

If the air in your home is stuffy, then some fresh air from outside may be beneficial, just watch the temperature of the room. Healthy birds can withstand temperature changes without issues, although a bird that is truly sick (fluffed up, listless, eyes closed, etc) should be kept warm.

Hope she's fine!
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#5 Sanddyman

Sanddyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

You need to take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I'll suggest this web site!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users