• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Savoie

Savoie

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Day 1: got them home and set up they are doing great and can put my hand in the cage without them biting.
Iris
Owned by: Red and Babygirl -Mexican Red-Headed Amazons
RIP: Gandolf- DYH - You are sorely missed my boy.

#2 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Day 2: (today christmas eve) I am working with them to let me put my hand near them. I can get my hand on the perch about 2 inches from them without them running as I talk to them. Her missing foot concerns me as I am not sure when the time comes how to teach her to step up or if I should try some other method of picking her up. But will cross that bridge when we get there. I am not going to push them very fast. I want them to get comfortable with me and my boyfriend and to love being handled but that will come in time. Going today to pick up some things I need for them and will begin handfeeding them treats to encourage them. Will keep posted here on our progress.
Iris

#3 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

Day 2 continued: they are taking peanuts from my hand and I tried them on egg and chicken today and they are eating both though they still prefer the apple. they are letting me get my hand a little closer to them as the day ends. I spend time just sitting in the living room where they can see me and talking to them and then go over to the cage and work with them for a few minutes at the time. they have only been here 2 days so I don't want to push much right now as they are still settling in.
Iris

#4 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Day 3 (Christmas Day): Babygirl will actually let me touch her foot for a second but has to be on one specific perch. Red well finally did bite but not hard and put both feet on my hand while he was. They will take peanuts from my hand but I don't think they have ever had millet as they won't touch it even in their seed bowl. Babygirl says hello not real understandable yet but could be due to nerves. Hoping as time goes on and they get more used to being here and to us that they will step up. Not sure if she can actually step up with just one foot so trying to figure out a way of training her to pick her up without stepping up. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Iris

#5 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Day 4: Still putting my hand in the cage on the perch beside them and they are letting me get a little closer. Red ran away once tonight so I picked up a piece of egg out of his fresh food and gave it to him then he climbs up on the perch beside my hand and just sits there. This is going to be so wonderful when I finally earn their trust and get them to step up and let me carry them with me. They are calling when they want attention now. Now in the process of looking for a bigger cage kind of thinking of making one. Will keep you all updated on how it is going. They are just marvelous.
Iris

#6 Guest_NotEnoughTime_*

Guest_NotEnoughTime_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:31 AM

It sounds like you and your birds are doing great! Patience and time are the most important aspects of training in my opinion.

A couple of observations: most of the larger birds I've worked with are not so enthusiastic about millet - preferring larger seeds and nuts. Peanuts are associated with aspergillus - so if you do use peanuts make sure they are ones for "human consumption" and not for pets (same goes for corn). Apple and corn are quite sweet (ie. full of sugar) and do not contain a lot of nutrition, so I tend to limit the intake of apple and corn with my birds. Apple is the main sweetener in most "100% fruit juices" (look at the ingredients) and corn syrup... 'nuf said...

I think you will find that your one-footed birds will work things out herself. Likely she will want to grab your finger with her beak and then grasp with her foot lifting herself up... I suspect that she will quickly learn the amount of pressure that is needed fairly quickly - enough to hold her weight but not enough to hurt the finger. She'll know when it hurts from your reaction. Most birds (conures kind-of excepted) don't like their wings being touched or covered so "picking up" birds is a bit hard.

I have enjoyed reading your comments so far. Thanks for sharing!!

#7 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thank you so much. I have tamed several parrots and I do find this method works best. I am sure she will the more I watch her the more I see how well she does get around. Am so excited at the progress we are making.
Iris

#8 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Day 5: I woke up at 4am with my bf and they started calling for attention so of course faithful Momma went and talked to them for a few minutes and they decided it was time to go back to sleep. I spent the day researching and working with them. I tried a different method with Red which is working wonderfully. I tried my own version of clicker training (used my mouth to make a click sound since I don't actually have a clicker). First made the click sound and gave him a sunflower seed telling him good boy. Then started having him touch my hand with his beak and tongue without biting and clicking as soon as he did as he was supposed to told him good boy and gave him a sunflower seed. By the last training session for the day he was getting consistent. Babygirl doesn't seem to be taking to that method so I am still just setting my hand on the perch close to her while I talk to her. I am really excited about the progress with Red. Babygirl is seeming to be a little bit more of a challenge but I expect that. It will be such a joy to have them tame and having done the work with them to tame them myself.
Iris

#9 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

Day 6: Didn't get to do as many training sessions today but we are making progress. Red stuck his head in the door of the cage to touch my hand for his treat. I found what to use for his training treat. Apples seems to be the favorite. Babygirl will sit and let me put my hand next to her sometimes other times she moves away so I will leave her and try again later. She takes apples from my hand gladly. Red will now touch both hands with his beak. My next step is to try and get him to step up for his treat. Babygirl I am planning to go slower with. I go back to work tommorrow for the first time since I got them so we will see how they do.
Iris

#10 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

Day 7: I come home tonight and two minutes after I get home they yell for me. :D Training went alright today. Red was being tempermental today. And one time he would take apple as his training treat the next it was sunflower seeds. But when I went to see them when I got home I stuck my finger thru the bars told him touch and he touched without no problem. Am so happy with the progress
Iris

#11 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Day 8: Worked with them several times before work and progressing slowly but surely. I tried to get Red to just lift his foot for his treat and he put his foot on my hand then screamed and bit. He didn't bite down hard but like a warning bite so I took that as a sign he isn't ready to trust me enough for that yet so we are back to just touching my hand with his beak which is still going pretty good. He does get tempermental a little bit but I feel we are getting there. I come home from work and first thing when I walked thru the door they started hollering for me to come see them and wouldn't stop until I had put everything in my hands down and went and spent some time just talking to them. :D
Iris

#12 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Day 9: Training went alright today. For some reason we are back to only able to get him to come touch my hand with one hand in the cage. But it is still early on in their training. They both will take food from my hand easily and holler for me when I come in from work. I have to go spend some time with them talk to them before I can even take the time to really even say hi to my bf lol. Poor fellow lol. I am hoping to get him back to coming to touch my hand with two hands in the cage and hopefully eventually get him lifting his foot for me soon, but not gonna rush it one step at a time.
Iris

#13 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Day 10: I didn't get to work with them yesterday. I am sick as can be and then fell at work on the ice. Hopefully today will go better.
Iris

#14 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Day 11: I got up and worked with them a few times tonight. Red actually let me touch his beak a little. Babygirl will take treats from my hand andI can put my hand on the same perch, but that's it for now. Still working on gaining their trust.
Iris

#15 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

I don't know how you received these two (yet), only that you have them instead of a lovebird. So far, I am enjoying reading your progress!

Don't worry about Babygirl so much! If she feels comfortable enough to step up, she will find a way to do so! Here's a short video of the sweetest little cockatiel that I've ever met! Even sweeter than Casey, my first tiel! Happyfoot is a *doll* and accepts handling from anyone and loves scritches! And, as the name implies, he only has one foot!

Perhaps given time, Babygirl will learn from Red!
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#16 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Monica, thank you so much I love the video. I hope they will both come around to stepping up but one step at the time. I found these babies needed a home and decided to get them instead of buying from a breeder. I figured it was better to give these two a new home rather than buy from a breeder since I have handled birds that weren't tame before so that they can have a forever home.
Iris

#17 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Day 12: Things are progressing slowly but I expect that. they love for me to talk to them and call or holler for me as soon as I come home. Still only working with them a few times a day since I am sick but Red will even touch my hand with his beak without a treat every once in a while now. I am debating on whether or not I need to towel Babygirl and start clipping her nails down a little bit every week to get them to where they should be. Any suggestions?
Iris

#18 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Day 13: Red will let me touch the bottom of his beak when I give him his treat. They are starting to trust me a little more every day. I have been making a mash for them and they seem to love it. Still just having him touch my hand with his beak but he did raise his foot for me once last night. Babygirl takes treats from my hand and will let me put my hand near her. Slowly but surely we are getting there.
Iris

#19 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Day 14: Red was being a little bitey today but he don't bite hard enough to hurt he won't even clamp down like he thinks if he bites at all it will get him his way so I just tell him no bite and keep working with him on doing what I want him to do and soon enough he calms down and right back into what we are working on. Babygirl does get quite moody but hasn't bit at all though she acts like she'ld like to sometimes. Came home from work and they did their usual calling.
Iris

#20 Savoie

Savoie

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Day 15: Red not trying to bite. Things are still progressing slowly but I expect that. He is letting me touch the bottom of his beak a little more now. Babygirl sometimes takes her seed out of my hand with a little bit of an attitude, but I think it's just that she is scared. She will come around. :) So happy with them.
Iris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users