Paradigm Shift

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

I love things that make me ponder
like “You would be surprised at what a difference understanding and using the Amazon body language makes. These birds don't hate you and don't want to hurt you. But there are certain triggers that get them going, and it makes all the difference in the world when you learn these triggers.” stated by peach_face

I work with unwanted type parrots and the amazons (especially the 3) are harder for me to find their triggers. I have been chewed on a lot but only came across one handicap (unusable foot) YNA although now eats food from between my fingers, I still am unable to pick up (I think it’s a trust issue on both sides) although I can hold other aggressive amazons (teaching stepping up on a stick helps a lot) and we have come along way but this one appears to be different or is he.

When I see my YNA trying to get me and when that does not work turns his aggression on to something else, it appears that he wants to hurt me. Now peach_face quote has given me a paradigm shift and now I see it as if I change what ever has triggered that reaction I can change the behavior.

So what are your thoughts on Amazon Body Language & Triggers?
Challenging us all to be open to other ways of thinking.Posted Image
Make a difference in a birds life - educate!

Posted Image

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

I don't own an amazon, but I tend to agree, and this can be applied to any species. Amazons are considered to be one of the easiest species to read, however, with the wrong kind of training (that is often applied to the majority of pet birds by owners using old techniques) they may learn to stop warning you and go straight for the bite instead. "You" aren't listening anyway, so why bother with the shenanigans? It's faster for them to try and get their point across in a single, quick bite.

I really enjoyed Barbara Heidenreich's behavior and body language video as well as her parrot training video. It really gives new insight on behaviors (subtle or otherwise) to look for and how to train without getting bit! Well, that last part isn't true, but the whole idea of training is to not get bit in the first place, because the only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users