• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

Ok, I couldnt hardley sleep last night, Ive got so many questions about this lil Parrotlet.

How old before he gets a bath?

How in the world do you give such a little bird a bath? If I showered him like I do my too. well, I think he'd go down the drain.LOL

Should I keep a small dish of water in the bottom of his cage for a while.

Do these lil birds require anything special, like a cuttlebone? {sp} His beek looks really long to me.

Does he need a lil tent in his cage, I noticed him sleeping on the bottom instead or perched, so I put a med size stuffy in the and he cuddled up nicley.

When do I start his birdy vet checks?

Do these lil guys require shots?

Is it better to have one or two?

If I was to get another one to keep him company during school hours, would that mess up the incredible bond he is already forming with my son?
They are so cute togather!!!!

Anything else I should be thinking about? Lord, babys stress me out!!!!!!

BTW, I dont think he knows he is itty bitty!! LOL

Is there a way to tell by markings if he is a girl or boy?

#2 ParrotletLover

ParrotletLover

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:07 PM

First of all, what type of parrotlet is he? Pacific, Spectacled, Green Rump, Mexican?

Second of all, how old is he?

How old before he gets a bath?

Give him time to adjust to his new home before giving him a bath.

How in the world do you give such a little bird a bath?

You cannot take a bird that small with you in the shower. You can either mist them with a spray bottle or supply them with a shallow dish of warm water.

Is he eating and drinking from his food and water dishes? If so, there is no need to put a dish at the bottom of the cage.

Cuttlebone and mineral block are good ideas for parrotlets, as they are for most birds.

You do not need a tent in his cage, but if he prefers one, then it would be a good idea to invest in one.

I recommend you have him vet checked immediately. Just called your local avian vet and make an appointment for him.

Birds do not require shots, however you may want to have them vaccinated against Polyomavirus. However, I suggest you speak with your veterinarian about that - they can give you a professional opinion.

People love parrotlets so much they often have two, however two becomes 2x more work - more money spent, more time spent, etc. I recommend one.

If I was to get another one to keep him company during school hours, would that mess up the incredible bond he is already forming with my son?

Yes, it would probably diminish the bond with your son. Allow the bird to completely bond with your son before considering adding another. If you are heartset on another, keep in in quarantine until it bonds completely with your son. Slowly introduce them and give them a lot of special attention each day. Remember, however - they may not get along and parrotlets are known to attack their mates.

If he is a Pacific boy, he will have a bright blue stripe behind his eyes, and vivid blue on his tail. If it is a Pacific girl, they blue will be minimal, but still noticeable.

Good luck with your baby.
Blake

Bentley - Chihuahua
Holly - Yorkshire Terrier
Kacey - Saint Bernard
Lily - Parrotlet
Max - Yorkshire Terrier

#3 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

Well we all know what I would rather be spending time effort and money on, Im certianally not gonna run out and get another parrotlet just cause, lol. I just want to make sure he will be ok while Scott is in school. That is the sweetest lil bird I have ever met in my life!!!!!!

I see there is a couple things I need to run down and get before his birdy package gets here.

I am embarassed to say, at this time I do not know what kind he is. He is a very pretty green. I will find out today and let you know, also I dont know how old he or she is exactally. My son had me so up in the air with picking out things it was hard to get all the information, thankfully, the store is a hop skip and a jump away and I have an inside connection on question asking. T.G.

Ive been watching him closley and he is eating very well, I was concerned about his water intake but I have finally seen him drink water.
I also finally heard him make a sound, it startled me a bit, I didnt know what it was. LOL Im used to my soda pops vocalizing, what a huge differance.

Thank you for all your help.

Angel

Oh p.s.
While Scott is in school, should I carry him around? Or should I let him get used to Scotts scedule?

#4 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

LOL. That lil thing can get loud???? That is going to suprise me when it happens. Cant wait to hear that.

I think I will leave him alone a little while Scott is at school, I dont want him to bond with me, of course i will let him have out of cage time and take care of him etc but I will leave the cuddling to Scott. BOY THIS WILL BE HARD!!! He so darned cute.

Im wondering, what is there life span if taken care of properly?

#5 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

You most likely bought a pacific parrotlet since they are the most commonly type kept as pets. And yes, p-lets can get loud! I've heard their high pitched scream before! Their life-span is said to be 20-30 years. For a p-let, I'd stick with misting for now until he gets older though. You can bring him into the shower, though you may feel better setting him down near where the shower is so he can get some of the steam.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#6 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:14 PM

with soda pop I use a hand held shower deal, I sit him on the shower floor for a while then hold him for the good soaking. Im gonna have to go get a bottle for the lil one cause Im thinking no matter how I set that shower nozzel it may be way to hard.

#7 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:33 PM

You don't have to actually put him in the stream of water, he can actually be set aside where the water bounces off, or just in the bathroom so he can breath in the steam which is good for him! Go to the dollar store though (if you have one around) as they might have some cheap bottles there! Or you could go with a small chemical sprayer (bran new one, never been used type thing) if you plan on spraying more than one bird and this makes it easier on your hand!
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#8 ParrotletLover

ParrotletLover

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

I am very against taking a parrotlet into the shower, even if he is "just on the side." He could become startled and fly to the bottom of the shower and be seriously injured by the water and/or the landing.

If he is just a pretty green and doesn't have the blue band on his eyes, he probably isn't a Pacific. You would be able to tell - they have the bands when they start feathering, so it isn't something that is molted in. I'm thinking he is a Green Rump.

You can leave him alone during the day, although he will certainly appreciate visits from you (this will not affect his bond with your son). A television or radio might be a good idea as well, although not all birds like them (like Lily, for example).

And just a note - parrotlets do have mouths on them! Lily can get pretty loud and repetitive a few times a day, but you won't even hear her compared to your cockatoo. :whistle:
Blake

Bentley - Chihuahua
Kacey - Saint Bernard
Lily - Parrotlet
Max - Yorkshire Terrier

#9 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

I doint actually shower "with" my bird..... scared to. LOL I sit on the side with my feet in and thats as close as we are getting to becomming shower buddies. Im gonna get a mister sprayer for the lil one. I cant do the bottle thing with the arthritis in my hands, although I cant imagine it would take to long for the lil one.

I just looked him/her over real good, on the head I see nothing cept pretty green, bare around its eyes. One its tail I do see either some blue horazontal lines not perfect lines or maybe its balck. not sure. I didnt call down to the shop, dont feel so hot today. Im gonna google both of the species mentioned and see if I can tell the difference.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!
My son just walked in here and that bird is comfortabley laying on his back in the palm of my sons hand!!!!!! He is enjoying getting light belly rubs from his new daddy!!! Now that is adorable!!!
I have to admit,, I am totally facinated with this lil bird. Im thinking this was the best decision I have ever made. They both seem very very happy togather. When Scott sits him down on his bedroom floor, and calls him, he hops over to him immediatley. That is so cute!!!
Is it normal for these lil ones to EAT LIKE THIS!!!! I cant believe how often it eats!!!! I graded up some carrots and radishes and he really liked that alot. He is just barley weened but I still dont know the age. Oh and he likes scrambled eggs.
I dont habve the little natural pellets for him yet, that is in his care package, is it ok if i break up some of soda pops natural pellets for him. Its zupreen natural.

#10 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:48 PM

Sure. I routinely break up food for my quaker in my Bullet. It usually shreds things to a good size in no time.
A bird is the only pet that will ever tell you I love you.

4 BG macws: Dreamer, The Fabulous Margarita, Mia and Sailor
1 Greenwing: Eenie
1 Severe Macaw: Chi Chi
1 Yellow Nape Amazon: Taco
1 Timneh African Grey: Radar
1 Quaker: Tilde

#11 ParrotletLover

ParrotletLover

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:00 AM

Your son has a wonderful companion, Soda Pop. That is just amazing. I'm glad things are working so well!

You have a great eater on your hands. Be consistent in offering fresh foods on a frequent basis - exposing him to different foods now will save you (and the bird) a lot of frustration and time later.

Like Nancy said, you can certainly break up the pellets for the little guy. Just be sure they are small enough and you'll have no problems.

I took the liberty of finding both perfect examples of the male and female Pacific Parrotlet and Green Rumped. Hopefully these pictures will help you figure out exactly who you have.

Normal Male Pacific Parrotlet
Posted Image

Normal Female Pacific Parrotlet
Posted Image

Male Green Rump Parrotlet
Posted Image

Female Green Rump Parrotlet
Posted Image

You can find more information at www.LittleTweet.com.
Blake

Bentley - Chihuahua
Kacey - Saint Bernard
Lily - Parrotlet
Max - Yorkshire Terrier

#12 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:15 AM

Nice. Thank you. Ok this is gonna be hard, I have ben calling lil birdy.... lil guy and he. Judging by these photos he is not a he after all he is a she for sure. Looking a the pictures Im guessing green rump but I could be wrong. She certianally looks closer to the green rump than the other. It really scared me stretching those tiny lil wings. Goodness what a difference than what Im used to. I have also decided she is not very fond of me. LOL I am tolerated but I think that is the extent of things. She is in love with my kid very much so

#13 ParrotletLover

ParrotletLover

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:05 AM

Well congratulations on the little girls. Green Rumps are generally more laid back and skiddish, where Pacifics show more of "parrot like" traits.

Has your son settled on a name? I would love to see a picture of your little girl!
Blake

Bentley - Chihuahua
Kacey - Saint Bernard
Lily - Parrotlet
Max - Yorkshire Terrier

#14 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:18 AM

Oh geez, he named her before we even brout her home. LOL.
He named her lime. I been trying to get him to think of something else, BUT Lime it is. I told him when I finally get me a B&G Im gonna name it coconut. LOL
I need to empty our camera. Its been full for a while. As soon as I can I will get a bunch of pictures. She sure is pretty
Thank you for all your help.
Angel

#15 ParrotletLover

ParrotletLover

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:29 PM

I love that name! It totally fits a female Green Rump! :smile: Whenever you get some pictures, post away! There is nothing better, seeing other people's happy fids.

You are very welcome and I'm glad I could be of some help. I wish you and your son the very best with Lime, and I hope your family has many, many happy years together.
Blake

Bentley - Chihuahua
Kacey - Saint Bernard
Lily - Parrotlet
Max - Yorkshire Terrier

#16 jessicaboyer89

jessicaboyer89

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:44 PM

I am so happy to hear about your parrotlet! They are little dolls, aren't they. I guess this is a bit controversial as Blake doesn't do it, but I take Tiki into the shower with me almost every day. I put a soft towel on the towel bar (so she has some traction) and she sits in there and really enjoys all the steam. She closes her eyes and grinds her beak and it is adorable. She is flighted though so if she lost her balance she won't hit the bottom of the tub. Also, I think all parrotlets are little piggies! Tiki eats all day. Her favorites are carrots, sweet potato (cooked and mashed), broc, walnuts (for a treat), and brown rice. One of her favorite things to chew on are those Palm Leaf Shredders you can buy at the pet shop. They come in a roll and you can hang peices in the cage or weave them threw the bars. She'll chew on those all day. Well, I am so happy there's another p-let on the board! :biggrin:
JB
and Tiki my pacific parrotlet
Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#17 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:54 PM

I am so happy to hear about your parrotlet! They are little dolls, aren't they. I guess this is a bit controversial as Blake doesn't do it, but I take Tiki into the shower with me almost every day. I put a soft towel on the towel bar (so she has some traction) and she sits in there and really enjoys all the steam. She closes her eyes and grinds her beak and it is adorable. She is flighted though so if she lost her balance she won't hit the bottom of the tub. Also, I think all parrotlets are little piggies! Tiki eats all day. Her favorites are carrots, sweet potato (cooked and mashed), broc, walnuts (for a treat), and brown rice. One of her favorite things to chew on are those Palm Leaf Shredders you can buy at the pet shop. They come in a roll and you can hang peices in the cage or weave them threw the bars. She'll chew on those all day. Well, I am so happy there's another p-let on the board! :biggrin:

Well I bet you are happy, I seem to think this is all you and Joels fault!!! LOL. Funny one week ago I stated NO IM NOT LOOKING FOR A PARROTLET, IM LOOKING FOR A MACAW. LOL Never say never. This is a sweet bird. Dont much care for me Im afraid, but thats ok. The lil girl stays on her back, shes even rolling over on her back in Scotts palms. Like a lil pup, rub my belly. Funniest thing I ever seen.
My son has just left with my husband, took a stack of old playstation games that he does not play anymore to sell them at the game store!!!! Why, so he could buy MORE stuff for lil lime. Im so proud of the way he is taking care of lil lime. My son has ADHD and he has been BOUNCING off the walls since he came here to live with us, sheesh I havent seen or heard much from him!!!! What a blessing a huge blessing in a lil body. Me and my husband cant believe the healing wonders this lil bird has already done for our entire family!! Simply amazing!!
Well I better get the baby ready, looks like we are going back to the bird shop. LOL
Angel

Thank you everyone!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users