• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:59 AM

Goodness, My sons new lil Parrotlet is not very tame to say the least. She is three months old and seems to be pretty wild. Im at a loss as to how to calm her down a bit?? I dont want to push anything on her however I also do not want her to get more untame. My son is just devestated over the differance between the birds and last night I think he gave up on her. He cried quite a bit over his loss of lime and this one not wanting to snuggle with him like the other one did. He does understand it will take time but it is still really hurting his feelings.
I do not know how to hand tame a bird. I did hold her several times last night.... but... I used a washcloth to do it. It was VERY loose on her not really wrapped at all mostly underneath protecting my palm from her bites. Once I had her like this and would start gently petting her head she really seemed to enjoy it and a couple times she even leaned her head over for a little petting on the side of her face. I only did this for about five minute sessions and genttly put her back on her cage. Am I going about this right? I mostly sat in front of her cage with the door open talking to her, I dont want to stress her out. Im thinking by monday when scotts in school and the baby is napping I may let her just ride around the house on my shoulder?

#2 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:02 PM

I really think you are expecting way too much from this bird already. Please slow down. Give her a few days to settle in. That's the other problem with replacing a pet too soon. Inevitably, they are compared and they are NEVER the same. She has to feel safe and confident in her new surroundings. Why not give her a week of just talking to her often and sitting near her cage.
A bird is the only pet that will ever tell you I love you.

4 BG macws: Dreamer, The Fabulous Margarita, Mia and Sailor
1 Greenwing: Eenie
1 Severe Macaw: Chi Chi
1 Yellow Nape Amazon: Taco
1 Timneh African Grey: Radar
1 Quaker: Tilde

#3 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

She hasnt been held much at all, like I said, I spend most of my time sitting by her cage talking to her or just sitting there watching tv next to her cage with the door open. three times that she has been held has been because she came out of her cage and got on the floor and was picked up for her saftey. Im not expecting anything from her, I was asking so I would know what to do as time goes on because I know NOTHING about hand tamming an untamed bird I thought I would ask questions in advance. I assumed that was the right thing to do.
Nevermind.

Angel

#4 Rue

Rue

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:24 PM

Do what Nancy suggested...just don't touch her for a good week....maybe even longer if she's still not more interested in direct contact with you...

Then do what you're starting to do...but take her to a neutral room...bathrooms are great provided the toilet seat is down and no cleaners are present...

...in the meantime...talk to her, read to her, sing to her, entertain her...if you know of a special treat - give it to her first thing in the morning as you greet her (i.e. like 1-2 sunflower seeds, NOT a bowl full) so she starts to associate you will good things...

My WC barely even MOVED for a week when we first got him...this is the Pionus stress reaction...now he's like the Energizer Bunny... :biggrin: He just needed time to adjust in his own time frame...
:biggrin: Ever [GC Amazon, ~ 1995] Pekoe [WC Pionus, 2005]
Izzy ['tiel - grey, 2003] Piper ['tiel - pied, 1985] Raffi ['tiel - WF Pearl, 2005]
Trouble [Budgie - green, 2005] Echo [Budgie - blue pied, 2005]
Finches:Strawberry, Cordon Bleu, Zebra, Society, Black Rump, Java Rice (2)

#5 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

Do what Nancy suggested...just don't touch her for a good week....maybe even longer if she's still not more interested in direct contact with you...

Then do what you're starting to do...but take her to a neutral room...bathrooms are great provided the toilet seat is down and no cleaners are present...

...in the meantime...talk to her, read to her, sing to her, entertain her...if you know of a special treat - give it to her first thing in the morning as you greet her (i.e. like 1-2 sunflower seeds, NOT a bowl full) so she starts to associate you will good things...

My WC barely even MOVED for a week when we first got him...this is the Pionus stress reaction...now he's like the Energizer Bunny... :biggrin: He just needed time to adjust in his own time frame...

Oh ok, Now my question is, while Im sitting there with her, should I leave the door shut? I was thinking I should have the cage door open so if she wanted to come see me she could. Also, when I do start working with her and take her to a neutral area, is this "away" from her cage? The few times she has been handled has been directly in front of her cage. Can they be cage protective like the bigger birds?
LOL I tried singing to her and it was my impression she really did not appreciate that to much whatsoever. My dog dont like it either. LOL
I went to walmart and bought a really neat lil food chopper first thing this morning for her fresh foods. I remembered seing Nancy talk about having a bullet that she uses for her Quaker parrot, hopefully this will work as well. She seems very interested in Dr. suess, she comes closer with the reading like she is enjoying listening to the funny book.
I havent noticed anything special as far s treats yet, but I thik its probably to soon to tell.
Thank you.
Angel

#6 Rue

Rue

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:36 PM

...I'm really not the best person to ask more 'advanced' questions of...I can only pass on what's worked for us...

...after her week of being left alone is up, I think you can start leaving the cage open...although some experts recommend that a bird ONLY leave it's cage on your hand...

...and yes, when you work with them, it should be away from the cage...I don't think it's so much about aggression as it is to have them focus their attentions on you - and NOT their cage, their toys, their food bowel...etc.

Most important though, is don't rush any of these steps...if you rush or force a new bird I think it builds resentment of the handler...(sometimes more aggressive handling will be needed...but not in this case...)...
:biggrin: Ever [GC Amazon, ~ 1995] Pekoe [WC Pionus, 2005]
Izzy ['tiel - grey, 2003] Piper ['tiel - pied, 1985] Raffi ['tiel - WF Pearl, 2005]
Trouble [Budgie - green, 2005] Echo [Budgie - blue pied, 2005]
Finches:Strawberry, Cordon Bleu, Zebra, Society, Black Rump, Java Rice (2)

#7 ParrotletLover

ParrotletLover

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Banned
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

Angel,

Nancy is totally right. The problem with bringing home another bird the next day will lead to false expectations on your son's behalf. No doubt he'll compare her to Lime - but the new bird is not Lime and should not at all be expected to act like her.

Give this bird a week or so - no touching, leave the door closed, allow her to get comfortable in her new surroundings. Be certain there are no fast movements or loud noises around her. Have your son talk to her and offer her treats through the bars. In my opinion, anything more would force the relationship - and that isn't good for anyone.
Blake

Bentley - Chihuahua
Holly - Yorkshire Terrier
Kacey - Saint Bernard
Lily - Parrotlet
Max - Yorkshire Terrier

#8 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

Angel:

Please don't get insulted. It wasn't my intent to embarrass you. You have to look at her world through her eyes. Its all new and frightening. You must always keep in mind that to birds, we are predatory animals. Our eyes sit on the front of our faces and that's what ALL predators look like.

I suggest that when you can sit there with her, leave the door open. When you cannot supervise her, keep it shut for her protection. Let her understand that your intent is good.

We are so used to quick solutions that when one doesn't exist, we get impatient. This little bird is always going to be different from Lime. That's another reason that I always suggest that folks get to meet and get to know their bird. Let them pick YOU out, too.

#9 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:51 PM

Angel:

Please don't get insulted. It wasn't my intent to embarrass you. You have to look at her world through her eyes. Its all new and frightening. You must always keep in mind that to birds, we are predatory animals. Our eyes sit on the front of our faces and that's what ALL predators look like.

I suggest that when you can sit there with her, leave the door open. When you cannot supervise her, keep it shut for her protection. Let her understand that your intent is good.

We are so used to quick solutions that when one doesn't exist, we get impatient. This little bird is always going to be different from Lime. That's another reason that I always suggest that folks get to meet and get to know their bird. Let them pick YOU out, too.

Nancy, I had just finished reading a thread about taming these lil babies, something there was mentioned about the eyes??? Even about closing one eye and or turning your head so only one eye shows while talking with the bird??? I have never heard of that and was actually going to ask about that, but you mention about the predators eyes which makes total sence to me now.
I wasnt embarassed, I just didnt want everyone to think Im trying to force myself on her, I would never do that, Im just trying to figure out the baby steps that need to be taken so I dont mess up with her.
She really is sweet. I just spent an hour in her room with her, door closed this time talking and whistling and she has started hoping and whistling back, and now she is doing this funny thing, I really dont know how to explain it except to call it "vibrating?" she chirps then bounces a little bit and does this funny vibrating motion very fast like then chirps agian. She seems happy when she does it, reminds me of a wind up toy.
I dont leave the cage door open if I leave the room, she could really get herself in a mess she is so tiny.
This afternoon she seems alot more relaxed, checking out her toys eating and drinking very well, poops look very good. We leave the tv on in her room, cartoon network, the air conditioner vents are closed, which with the other lil one they were not, :wall: :wall:
I will not attempt to handle her at all for at least a week as sugested. I know she will be just fine, Im just scared I will mess up with her.
I have bought the lil tiny pellets, natural, when should I start offering these to her, along with fresh foods. Should I work with the fresh for a while and let her gets used to those before trying to add something else into the mix.
Im so used to soda pop, he is a garbage disposal, he likes almost everything. I dont want to mess her lil system up by offering to many different foods to fast. She is currantally on an all seed diet. Also do these lil birds need vitamins?
Angel

#10 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:55 PM

Angel:

I would only allow her access to seeds in the late part of the day for a few hours. Feed her fresh during the day and offer pellets if you must. She won't starve to death, and she'll be forced to try new foods.

#11 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:00 PM

Angel:

I would only allow her access to seeds in the late part of the day for a few hours. Feed her fresh during the day and offer pellets if you must. She won't starve to death, and she'll be forced to try new foods.

Really, that reminds me of taking baby off of bottle. LOL
She wont let herself go hungry? I got that new food chopper Im dieing to try out. So I should put seeds in only a couple hours, then "pull" them out agian? Im taking it you dont like feeding pellets? I thought that was supposed to be good and healthy for them? They are rather MESSY!!
Angel

#12 Freedomoflight

Freedomoflight

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2829 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:16 PM

Sorry, I missed something, what happened to Lime?

#13 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

Sorry, I missed something, what happened to Lime?

she passed away early monday morning. Broke scotts heart.

#14 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

Angel:

Im sorry Nancy, one more thing. Should I be doing this now or should I also be waiting a week for this. Thats probably a dumb question!! Sorry. "Im just nervous!!" She is so small compared to what Im used to.
Thank you,
Angel

#15 Freedomoflight

Freedomoflight

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2829 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:04 PM

Oh, I am sooooo sorry. That is horrible. Was she sick, or older then you were told or something?
Did you get this newbie from the same place you got Lime? or did you get both from a breeder or petstore?

#16 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:18 PM

Angel:

You can do this feeding change today. I encourage it, actually. Pellets will continue to be contraversial for decades, I'm sure. Some like them, I don't especially. However, I'm not gonna try to change anyone's mind one way or the other.

Be sure to purchase a high quality pellet (Harrisons, Scenic, Roudybush, Zupreem) if you do. I NEVER recommend Pretty Bird.

#17 Carl and Lucy lou

Carl and Lucy lou

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

I can only post what has worked for me and in my own opinions, I am not a bird expert,but I am an experienced bird owner, When I picked up my parrotlet from the breeder she was 5 months old and fairly tame, the breeder sent me home with a bag of her diet mix that she has used with perfect results for several years now, its roudybush crumbles mixed with Zupreem Avian maintenance, fruitblend flavor for canaries and finches,(smells wonderful) not for cockatiels or larger parrots, these are very tiny and mix well with the roudybush and the bird just loves it! as far as what I have learned about hand training her to be tame, DO NOT put treats in the cage for the bird, instead have a place set higher than the birds cage to set a plate of something on, why higher?, after the bird is aclumated to its suroundings it will come out of the cage on his/her own but wont be able to lift in flight to the higher point where the bird KNOWS the treat is located and will instead fly to the floor and will eventually go right to your hand to be lifted to the treat spot, now let me explain "TREAT" you can use what you want but when I say treat I mean veggies,fruit,pasta,etc. when I come home from work, I say hello to Lucy and let her know I am there, I go to the kitchen and get a small plate of (and these are tiny portions) broccoli,wheat bread,apple,carrot and some cooked rice or macaroni and take them over to my computer desk, I have an attached cabinet to my left about 5 feet from her cage and about a foot higher than the cage,I open her cage door and walk away, I did this everyday since day one, at first she would look out of the wide open door and scope out a way to get to me,then when she got comfotable she would fly to the floor and end up right next to me, I would pick her up and set her right next to the plate, this has become a daily routine and she has become the most tame bird I know, when she is done eating she will fly onto my chest and crawl up to my shoulder and nudge her little beek on my neck as if she is saying thank you! Most birds are cage teritorial, they dont want you in there other than food and water and even then they can hiss at you! My breeder very adamently told me,if you want your bird to be as tame as possible, NEVER GIVE IT TREATS IN THE CAGE OR THROUGH THE CAGE BARS! I know this is hard to do because they are so damn cute and all you wanna do is spoil them, but it works better than any other method I have heard of or read about. Now: what I know about taming is this, when your bird gets used to its new suroundings(usually3 to 7 days) you want to start socializing the bird slowly, remember I am talking about my parrotlet and what i have learned from days of research, breeder advice and lots of 1on1 time,for the first couple of weeks,only take the bird out of the cage for fifteen minutes at a time,three times a day, this will get the bird use to you and give it a sense of routine, it will always look forward to the next fifteen minutes you are going to spend with it and will become very happy to see you! always hold a parrotlet lower than your chin, escpecially if you wear glasses, they are very curious and will leap onto your frames and could scratch your eye with their sharp toes!(experience), after a couple of weeks of this type of socializing your bird will have bonded with you so easily that you wont even notice it! from this point on its up to the owner to decide about out of the cage socializing, but I have to keep in mind that for some people the routine of socializing can change or wear off,and less and less time is spent with the bird,these birds can live 20+ years and depend on you for everything! every time their moved to another owner they take an emotional hit and can become very different birds, some of them even starving themselves to death, I know its sad but true! If you want a good bird, you have to be a good and dedicated owner/companion!
I hope this helps you out,didnt mean to make it so long, once again I am no expert and can only hope that this is helpfull without sounding like a know it all! Good luck with your baby!

#18 Soda Pop

Soda Pop

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Banned
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:43 PM

I can only post what has worked for me and in my own opinions, I am not a bird expert,but I am an experienced bird owner, When I picked up my parrotlet from the breeder she was 5 months old and fairly tame, the breeder sent me home with a bag of her diet mix that she has used with perfect results for several years now, its roudybush crumbles mixed with Zupreem Avian maintenance, fruitblend flavor for canaries and finches,(smells wonderful) not for cockatiels or larger parrots, these are very tiny and mix well with the roudybush and the bird just loves it! as far as what I have learned about hand training her to be tame, DO NOT put treats in the cage for the bird, instead have a place set higher than the birds cage to set a plate of something on, why higher?, after the bird is aclumated to its suroundings it will come out of the cage on his/her own but wont be able to lift in flight to the higher point where the bird KNOWS the treat is located and will instead fly to the floor and will eventually go right to your hand to be lifted to the treat spot, now let me explain "TREAT" you can use what you want but when I say treat I mean veggies,fruit,pasta,etc. when I come home from work, I say hello to Lucy and let her know I am there, I go to the kitchen and get a small plate of (and these are tiny portions) broccoli,wheat bread,apple,carrot and some cooked rice or macaroni and take them over to my computer desk, I have an attached cabinet to my left about 5 feet from her cage and about a foot higher than the cage,I open her cage door and walk away, I did this everyday since day one, at first she would look out of the wide open door and scope out a way to get to me,then when she got comfotable she would fly to the floor and end up right next to me, I would pick her up and set her right next to the plate, this has become a daily routine and she has become the most tame bird I know, when she is done eating she will fly onto my chest and crawl up to my shoulder and nudge her little beek on my neck as if she is saying thank you! Most birds are cage teritorial, they dont want you in there other than food and water and even then they can hiss at you! My breeder very adamently told me,if you want your bird to be as tame as possible, NEVER GIVE IT TREATS IN THE CAGE OR THROUGH THE CAGE BARS! I know this is hard to do because they are so damn cute and all you wanna do is spoil them, but it works better than any other method I have heard of or read about. Now: what I know about taming is this, when your bird gets used to its new suroundings(usually3 to 7 days) you want to start socializing the bird slowly, remember I am talking about my parrotlet and what i have learned from days of research, breeder advice and lots of 1on1 time,for the first couple of weeks,only take the bird out of the cage for fifteen minutes at a time,three times a day, this will get the bird use to you and give it a sense of routine, it will always look forward to the next fifteen minutes you are going to spend with it and will become very happy to see you! always hold a parrotlet lower than your chin, escpecially if you wear glasses, they are very curious and will leap onto your frames and could scratch your eye with their sharp toes!(experience), after a couple of weeks of this type of socializing your bird will have bonded with you so easily that you wont even notice it! from this point on its up to the owner to decide about out of the cage socializing, but I have to keep in mind that for some people the routine of socializing can change or wear off,and less and less time is spent with the bird,these birds can live 20+ years and depend on you for everything! every time their moved to another owner they take an emotional hit and can become very different birds, some of them even starving themselves to death, I know its sad but true! If you want a good bird, you have to be a good and dedicated owner/companion!
I hope this helps you out,didnt mean to make it so long, once again I am no expert and can only hope that this is helpfull without sounding like a know it all! Good luck with your baby!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
Im glad you made your post long and discriptive.
About every half hour or so I go visit the lil bird for about ten to fifteen minutes. If my baby is asleep I sit in there longer. She does fly out onto the floor, and unlike my too, when I try to pick her up he eats me alive!!!! I have used the thin small washcloths the last several times. {though I have left her alone as far as touching yesterday and today} to pick her up off of the floor and held her that way rubbing on her head and cheeks. She seems to really like it for a little while and doent notice when I have her totally uncovered and just on top of the wash cloth. I am very dedicated to helping her become more comfortable and happy. She just really has never recieved very much attention. It does make sence what you say about not offering treats thru the bars.
I bought the zupreem natural pellets for canaries, keats and parrotlets. I did not get the fruity ones because I was concerned about the dyes used in them. she does not like the natural pellets however and Im concidering getting the fruity ones.
She has started chirping happily when I come to visit and even comes down off of her highest perch to get closer to me, I take this as a good sign.
Thank you for your help and suggestions.
Im going to fix up some rice and see if she might like that. So far she likes nothing but her seeds. Ugggg :wall:

#19 Carl and Lucy lou

Carl and Lucy lou

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

Thats Great news! After awhile you will be able to forget the wash cloth and she will come to you naturally, she is getting use to you and is happy to see you and that is a very good sign! I was also concerned about the colors of the Zupreem , my breeder told me not to worry about it because the dies are made with natural ingredients,even though the bag says natural and artificial flavors and colors, the ingredients are not harmfull to the birds unless they eat about a five pound bag a day, I dont think your bird or any bird is gonna eat that in his lifetime! Its very important that you teach her the step up command,dont freak when she grabs you with her beek, she is just going to use if for balance and to test the surface of your finger for stability, when she learns this she will be learning how to trust you more and more everyday, but it is a very important learning command, Good luck and let us now your progress, seems like you are on your way to a happy and healthy bird!

Heres a couple links that have some helpful basics as well! Good luck!
http://www.prettybir.../parrotlets.htm
http://www.birdsnway...sdom/ww8eiv.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users