• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cowgirl Chris

Cowgirl Chris

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Banned
  • 2925 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything on the ambonia king parrot? I have two parrots already green cheek and solomn electus. I am waiting for a DNA test on my green cheek and then I am going to find him/her a mate to breed ( i love these birds). So after talking with DH, we decided that since I am going to become a stay at home mom, I could get one more parrot as a pet along with max's mate. So after doing some research, I came along this parrot and wondered if anyone else had one. What is their personality like, the cost, speaking ability if any (this part really dont matter) and so one. Also I want to know what if anyone thinks that this type of parrot is a good choose or if I should choose another type. :think:

#2 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

Check out the Birdboard Work forum. Terry Buckingham did a profile on them. I think she breeds them also.
A bird is the only pet that will ever tell you I love you.

4 BG macws: Dreamer, The Fabulous Margarita, Mia and Sailor
1 Greenwing: Eenie
1 Severe Macaw: Chi Chi
1 Yellow Nape Amazon: Taco
1 Timneh African Grey: Radar
1 Quaker: Tilde

#3 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:25 PM

King parrots usually tend to be more hands off so tend to be very flighty birds. They may tend to be more susceptible to metal toxicity. All around, they do make great pets. They are most often found in Australia and I believe are not very common elsewhere (they are natives to Austalia of course, but I haven't heard them being abundant else-where).

Majj use to own a couple, however she hasn't been around on this board for a while... Maybe I can get her, or a couple other people that I know, to explain them...
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#4 Cowgirl Chris

Cowgirl Chris

• Banned
  • 2925 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:49 AM

That would be great. I could not find the form that outlaw told me about but of course i am new and trying to find my way around this site. Do you think that this would be a good parrot for me?? I don't want to mess up and get a parrot that I can not handle. Any advice would be great

#5 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

Amboina King Parrots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIES : Amboina King Parrot

Habitat : Lowland forest and small mountain ranges in Ambon and the Ceram Islands, Indonesia

Behavior : Calm, quiet, bold.

Size : Averages 15" to 19" from top of head to tip of tail.

Diet : Amboina's love to eat! They are hardy eaters and should be supplied with a well rounded diet of fresh foods, seeds, and shelled nuts.

Special Needs : Amboina's will challenge your authority from time to time, it's just part of their independent nature. Consistent discipline and socializing keeps this to a minimum.

Noise Level : Amboina's are blessedly quiet birds. Their loudest squawk is an alarm call and it's only used if something is wrong. They don't chatter incessantly nor do their voices carry far. They would be well suited to an apartment because of the low noise level.

Trick / Talking Ability : Amboina's are very intelligent birds and they have the ability to talk very well. They can learn phrases and re-string words into new phrases as it suits them. Their voices are soft and seldom carry across a room. They can learn to whistle tunes, mimic sounds, or copy other birds song.

Life Span : Guestimated at 30-35 years, I have not found documented information to tell me their exact lifespan.

Average Cost : $500-$700

Other useful information: Amboina's are absolutely stunning in coloration. Baby's have brown eyes and orange beaks. As they reach the age of 6-7 months the eyes start to change in color to orange and the beak color changes to mostly black with an orange area near the cere. As they reach sexual maturity the area around the eye changes from white/grey to black in color.
Amboina's are independent birds. They prefer to be near you, not necessarily on you. They enjoy your company but can keep themselves entertained with their toys while your away. Toys to offer are those in the size range made for small conures. Amboina's aren't avid chewers so the softer woods and smaller toys need to be provided for them to keep their beaks in shape. They are not prone to plucking. They like to make direct eye contact with you when your talking to them unlike many birds who shy away from a direct stare. They have been unfairly labeled by some as being aviary birds when in fact a handfed Amboina will rival any other species as far as pet quality goes.
A bird is the only pet that will ever tell you I love you.

4 BG macws: Dreamer, The Fabulous Margarita, Mia and Sailor
1 Greenwing: Eenie
1 Severe Macaw: Chi Chi
1 Yellow Nape Amazon: Taco
1 Timneh African Grey: Radar
1 Quaker: Tilde

#6 Cowgirl Chris

Cowgirl Chris

• Banned
  • 2925 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:58 PM

thanks so much outlaw...that was great information. i will let everyone know if I decide on getting a bird like this or not. That is if I can even find one lol
My Family

3 beautiful daughters-Nikkie, Cassie and Hanna
1 pain in the butt hubby-Ray
1 Blue and Gold Macaw-Tinker
1 Greenwing Macaw-Minnie
1 Blue Front Amazon-Zimmie
1 Mexican redhead amazon (I have visitation rights with my vet:roll: )-Max
1 German Shephard-Meathead
1 English Bulldog-Jezzi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users