10 replies to this topic

#1 Telemaster

Telemaster

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

Hey guys! I am completely new to this forum and to conures. I used to own a lot of parakeets and even a starling. They all lived long and wonderful lives. Plus, they were all tamed and the budgies all talked.

So, I just got myself a beautiful Green Cheek Conure. The store that I got it from says that it is ~3 months old. I cannot tell what age it is though. They didn't give me any certificate (where they supposed to?). There is a leg band on it though. So I might be able to find out about it later.

My question though is about his or her health. It is the third day that we have it and doesn't seem to be too energetic. It didn't eat at all the first day. Then on the second day we showed him where the food was and it was eating a lot. But it seems to like the fruit mix that the store sold to us more than the pellets.

When he is not eating he is sitting on one foot all puffy and just staring. He also seems to be breathing heavily. And he has diarrhea. I was wondering if this was just associated with the stress of moving to a new place? Also, he is NOT hand friendly...yet.

Thanks!

#2 TJ Relic

TJ Relic

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

When you get a new bird, you need to take it to the vet within a few days to get a health check because the health guarantee from the petstore runs out in like 2 weeks. Your baby sounds sick, poor thing. It might just be that he's not used to the new food and isn't eating/feeling well because of that, but you won't know until the vet checks him out. Its pretty normal for him to be used to the food he was eating before, and it takes awhile to convert them over.

I think I didn't have those problems only because mine was in the pet store a day before I got him so he didn't get used to the pet store. I didn't get a certificate either, but I did get a signed form with his band number and the store's health guarantee.

Welcome to Green-Cheeked Land :)
Rigel, Green-Cheek Conure
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I write about my life at TJRelic.blogspot.com

#3 Telemaster

Telemaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I am more worried about him sitting on the perch all puffed up and the diarrhea, though. You think this might be because he is sick or because of the stress? But I am definitely going to take him to a vet this week.

#4 Wilder

Wilder

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

If a bird is puffed up and having obvious diarrhea, I'd consider it to be sickness and not just stress... and with birds, you don't have time to "wait it out" and see which it is. Birds are very good at hiding their illnesses; by the time it's obvious to you the bird is sick, it's perilously close to being too late. I'd get him to a vet as soon as possible.

#5 TJ Relic

TJ Relic

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:17 PM

Hopefully you have a vet in mind, so you can call them as soon as their next office hours start. Please let us know how he turns out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Valo's Moirana

Valo's Moirana

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 5503 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:07 AM

yip, vet visit is the only thing that can really answer your questions. good luck!
~Bee~

Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open. Sir James Dewar

Enslaved by Mr. "Stinkefuss" Valo :greencheek: (greencheek conure) and Mr. "Angsthase" Nino (peach fronted conure) :peachfront:
Love the godfids Pita :sun2: (sun conure) and Stupsi :tiel: (tiel)

#7 jenseits

jenseits

• Members
  • 2967 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

Telemaster, were you able to get to the vet? Any news/updates on the little guy/gal?

Posted Image
-------------------------------------------
Mika, White Capped Pionus | Stewie, Sun Conure
-------------------------------------------
Best in Flock parrot blog
Featured posts:
- Parrot Dominance - A False Construct
- How Loud is a Screaming Sun Conure?
- Clicker Training Misconceptions
- Parrots Never Bite for "No Reason"
- Clicker Training for Birds - Book Review

#8 Telemaster

Telemaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:33 AM

Hey guys! I was at the vet today. She said that my bird is very healthy and that she was acting that way from stress. As a matter of fact, Roma (that's what I named him) is doing much better. He is more cheerful and even lets me scratch him around the head.

Only thing is that he likes the snacks more than the pellets lol. Whenever he wants the snacks he starts screaming like crazy.

#9 TJ Relic

TJ Relic

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:54 AM

Hey guys! I was at the vet today. She said that my bird is very healthy and that she was acting that way from stress. As a matter of fact, Roma (that's what I named him) is doing much better. He is more cheerful and even lets me scratch him around the head.

Only thing is that he likes the snacks more than the pellets lol. Whenever he wants the snacks he starts screaming like crazy.

Its good to hear he's doing well. Wow, what snacks are you giving him that he likes so much? I bet that he likes it so much they are great for step-up training and stuff. Have you tried to give him veggies yet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 Valo's Moirana

Valo's Moirana

• Members
  • 5503 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:23 AM

glad to hear roma's healthy.... yeah, interested in those treats too :mrgreen: valo's favorite is probably apple, and grape, and yes - sunflower seeds, but that's the occasional treat
~Bee~

Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open. Sir James Dewar

Enslaved by Mr. "Stinkefuss" Valo :greencheek: (greencheek conure) and Mr. "Angsthase" Nino (peach fronted conure) :peachfront:
Love the godfids Pita :sun2: (sun conure) and Stupsi :tiel: (tiel)

#11 Telemaster

Telemaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:34 AM

Hey guys thanks! The snacks that I am giving him is called "Fresh fruit Mix for hookbills." That is what the store sold to me. He seems to really go nuts if I do not put it into the cage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users