Photo
- - - - -

How much diffent are Amazons and Macaws?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 angie

angie

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:41 AM

I am am owner of 2 Macaws an 18 y/o GW Macaw and a 9 y/o B&G.Both are rehomed the B&G had come from an abusive people.Ive been owned by birds now for 2 1/2 years.I also have a CAG I got as a baby.
Anyways,was wondering how do Amazons like to play with their favorite person like my Macaws.My B&G loves hanging upside on my hand and he loves playing on his tummy with my fingers and for scritches.
Do Amazons play like that?
Last week I got a call from a person I know who needed somewhere to keep her Lilac Crowned Amazon because she was gettin evicted and she has other problems so Im pretty surre Im going to end with this bird(what a pretty bird)and this was the first time ive held an Amazon..I dont know her age but the women had her for 4 years.
This weekend I am getting 2 Amazons their both 2 1/2 y/o.One is a Double Headed Amazon and the other is Yellow Nape Amazon.I will be their third home.
Ive done lots of research but cant find to much on how Amazons like to play with their person.

Just would like some info from so of you experienced Amazon owners.
I would like to hear of their diets too.

Thanks...

#2 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:32 AM

Angie:

I love zons but there's NO WAY I'd take in a double yellow head or Yellow nape if they are male birds. They are very difficult to handle and can be quite dangerous. I have a female YN and she's sweet, but my friends with males cannot handle them at all for months at a time.

When zons attack, they tend to go for the face, more specifically the eyes. Be very, very careful.

My amazon is cuddly, but pretty sendentary. My macaws are MUCH more vocal and active.

THE OUTLAW
A bird is the only pet that will ever tell you I love you.

4 BG macws: Dreamer, The Fabulous Margarita, Mia and Sailor
1 Greenwing: Eenie
1 Severe Macaw: Chi Chi
1 Yellow Nape Amazon: Taco
1 Timneh African Grey: Radar
1 Quaker: Tilde

#3 Chariclo

Chariclo

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1601 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:51 PM

This is a great question as I am currently contemplating adopting a male Orange Winged Amazon - 4 yrs old- from a rescue organization. He is just one of the birds they have in need of a home, but I seem to be drawn to him the most.

I have been reading a lot, but first hand advice is always the best.
Any advice about Orange Wings?
Melissa
& The Fids

Maia - Catalina Macaw
Fluffy - Lutino Cockatiel
Ramone - Salvin's Red Lored Amazon
Jake - Blue Crowned Conure

#4 Casa Amazona

Casa Amazona

• Members
  • 6047 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:27 PM

Angie,

Amazons -- where shall I begin with those most delightful of feathered companions (IMO, of course)? In reading my comments, please realize that I'm hopelessly biased in favor of zons. They're my absolute favorites of all the birds I've ever had contact with.

Lilac Crowneds -- My research and (limited) experience with them is that they are much more mild mannered and predictable than some of the other zons. Owners I've spoken with say they're very mellow birds. I don't know anything about their personalities in terms of activity level or playfulness. One day I hope to own one.

Double Yellow Headeds and Yellow Napes -- As Nancy says the males can be a REAL handful during breeding season and they can be dangerous at that time. I have a male DYH who will launch himself off his perch at the head of anyone he gets aggravated at or is afraid of and has given me a few scars and otherwise interesting moments. The females, as a rule, seem to be more mellow. On the other hand, I have a male (10 to 12 years old) who was rehomed with me last week and he's just an absolute sweetheart. Of course, it's not breeding season (although nobody bothered to tell my other male DHY that) and he's new to my home, so we're still in the "honeymoon" stage. The female DYH who has been his mate for all their lives is about the same age as he is and, of the two, is much more prone to defending her territory (although now that she knows I won't hurt her she's coming around very nicely). There's a male who boards quite frequently at a pet store here in town. He's just the sweetest thing on feet. He's around 8 years old and is a real lover. I've been trying to buy him for several years, but his owners won't hear of it and he's just part of the family at the shop where he's boarded. Now that he's in the breeding age bracket I no longer let him on my shoulders, but probably could without getting bitten. I don't let ANY of my DYHs on my shoulders under any circumstances. When they're overly excited they can reach out and nip so quickly there would be no time to protect myself. I'm willing to take that risk with my hands but not my face. Amazons are VERY fast and although their body language tells you exactly what they're going to do you still need time to react to what they're telling you.

As to playfulness, I've found many DYHs to be very playful. My sister has an 8-year-old male who will hang from her fingers and swing. He plays "Chase me, catch me" across the bed with her and many other games, including verbal games. He LOVES children. He's also extremely aggressive with people (including me) he doesn't like. Both the male and the female rehomed with me last week are extremely active and playful. Bells -- how do I love thee??? Wood -- let's chew!!! Ropes, chains and acrylic -- let's swing!!!

All of my zons (1 blue fronted and 3 DYHs) are quite vocal, some of them talking well and some of them singing beautifully, but seldom to an aggravating level. I find their calls to be less piercing than that of conures and much less apt to knock a person into next week than macaws.

In summary, it's truly a matter of your personality, opinions, expectations and the individual birds in question. I'd encourage you to go online and ready the many good articles available there. Joanie Doss has some really good material on her website. Just type in "Joanie Doss" on Google and it'll take you right there.

Whatever you decide to do, all the best to you and let me know how it turns out.

Joanie
Joanie
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness!

Let's send PDD the way of polio and smallpox!
Every contribution helps make this dream a reality.

#5 Chariclo

Chariclo

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1601 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for that great info and advice I'm going to check out that website now! :D I'll let you know what I decide.
Melissa
& The Fids

Maia - Catalina Macaw
Fluffy - Lutino Cockatiel
Ramone - Salvin's Red Lored Amazon
Jake - Blue Crowned Conure

#6 angie

angie

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:54 PM

Thank you guys for all the info,I appreciate it :D .
They will be here tommorrow morning.
The women said they are very friendly and that was their 2nd home.
Will let you guys know how things go.
Thank you....

#7 angie

angie

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:21 AM

Outlaw,the women Im getting them from said she was told they both are female.
I also was told the the DYH was kept in a closet for 3 weeks from the other owner.
Some people are sickining.

#8 The Outlaw

The Outlaw

• Members
  • 19064 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:34 AM

Angie:

I too love the zons. They are just a bit more difficult during hormonal times. My zon sings like a diva and is very pretty. She's also THE most loyal bird in my flock. If you are prepared to deal with the hormones and make it a practice to NEVER allow them on your shoulder, you should be fine. However, don't forget the shoulder thing. They cannot control themselves at times. Its not their fault. It goes back hundreds of years from living in the jungle and being on everyone's menu. When my zon displays, it is awesome!

THE OUTLAW
A bird is the only pet that will ever tell you I love you.

4 BG macws: Dreamer, The Fabulous Margarita, Mia and Sailor
1 Greenwing: Eenie
1 Severe Macaw: Chi Chi
1 Yellow Nape Amazon: Taco
1 Timneh African Grey: Radar
1 Quaker: Tilde

#9 skyrat

skyrat

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:39 PM

We have a B&G Macaw, Boo, who is about 5 years old; and two Amazons, a SS female, Nikko, YCA, almost 2 years old; and Max, a male OWA, about 7 or 8 years old. Each have their own personalities and I can't say that either is better than the other - just different. LOL Boo is very loudly gregarious and active - when he's out he loves to be in everything and it is a chore to save window sills and walls. lol Max is a neat little amazon - has his periods of intense shrills, whistles, and Amazon calls - but they are only a few minutes at the most in the evenings and once in a while in the mornings. But, he loves to just be with my husband or on the playstand. He will try to talk, but only clearly says "Hello Max". Nikko is like a little girl - she will sing to herself, talks a lot, and loves playing on the stand or on me. She is not much on Amazon noises. lol I love all 3 of them - and have never experienced the hormones in these birds (Boo and Max) or in the OWA that I've had before. The Amazons are much more laid back, slow moving, and enjoy both interactive and individual play. Boo on the other hand, prefers to have interaction.
A fool walks with his mouth open, a wiseman walks with his head bowed.

#10 Beaks

Beaks

Blessed by Birds

• Members
  • 1217 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 11:11 AM

I have never had even the slightest problem with any of the 7 amazons i have here (all are between 17 and 30 somthing) they just get a little more excited when they play but it's all good.

I have been nipped a couple of times but any parrot will do that at one time or another.

Zons are great birds and i have seen very little difference between male and female except the males are more protective of their mate/human than the females but not by much.

I would take any amazon any time for any reason they are the scooter tramps of the parrot world and love them to death.

John
Beaks & Wings Parrot Rescue

#11 Casa Amazona

Casa Amazona

• Members
  • 6047 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:27 PM

John, that's exactly what they are and is why I love them so much. I can almost hear the drag pipes and see their beards parting in the wind.

Joanie
Joanie
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness!

Let's send PDD the way of polio and smallpox!
Every contribution helps make this dream a reality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users