#1 jimpierce7

jimpierce7

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 7294 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:56 PM

when I got done making the thing it looked like;

Posted Image

all the birds get to play on it at different points in time and it has different toys tossed on it as well. I stood back and took a look at it and realized it was looking a little ratty.............

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had wanted to add a little more support to it as well to make it a bit more sturdy on the outer ring and letting the inner ring still be bouncy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have to go get more vet wrap as I only had two rolls left but what the heck. A little cleaner now.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 captmicha

captmicha

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:49 PM

Oooh! I like it! I've never liked the PVC ones before because they looked so uniform and boring but this one is great with all the curves and things. It must have taken a really long time to make.

MY only suggestion is maybe getting some clear plastic tubing from Hope Depot or something and encasing the pipes with it. Non-slick and it'd clean really easily. Just wipe off. And cut holes in the tubing at the intersections. And keep the vet wrap to make it look pretty with all the different colors.

#3 featherfanatics

featherfanatics

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

What I do is use a dremel and cut little groves all over the pipe. It gives them something to grab onto.

Really neat stand I love it!
Michelle

Calypso (B&G)
Alex (BFA)
Emma (SM)
and to many little birds to count!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

I rewrapped my atom last nite. i made it out of the clear tubing, but was still a little too slippery, so i use the vet wrap.:ywink:
TIKI - SUN CONURE, ♂, hatched 3-9-6
PEEPY (FORMERLY SKY) - BLUE PACIFIC PARROTLET, ♀, hatched 7-7-7
RUBY - GREEN WINGED MACAW, ♀, hatched 8-22-7
('>
/))
/""
I'M BUD, ♂, hatched 5-7-48

#5 4HAND

4HAND

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:47 PM

I'll bet you had an Erector set as a boy!:tongue:
Tena

#6 Nazir's

Nazir's

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

That looks really neat. I have not ever been a crafty type of person but this looks like one project that I can do. I am going to make a smaller one. Just because I think it's neat, the birds will like it, and I think that I can to it... LOL
I'll probably end up with some bumbs, straches, and bruses but wish me luck.

Why did the caged bird sing?

#7 jimpierce7

jimpierce7

• Members
  • 7294 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

That looks really neat. I have not ever been a crafty type of person but this looks like one project that I can do. I am going to make a smaller one. Just because I think it's neat, the birds will like it, and I think that I can to it... LOL
I'll probably end up with some bumbs, straches, and bruses but wish me luck.

its really pretty easy, just time consuming. Its all 45 degree ell's and 8" connectors on the outside ring. 4" connectors on the inside ring. I found it easier to screw the connections together then to glue so I could keep the angle going around.
Posted Image

#8 Nazir's

Nazir's

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:37 PM

its really pretty easy, just time consuming. Its all 45 degree ell's and 8" connectors on the outside ring. 4" connectors on the inside ring. I found it easier to screw the connections together then to glue so I could keep the angle going around.

Thanks, I am on it! :ywink:

#9 sparkysmom

sparkysmom

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:27 AM

I was curious if you can use a paint stripping gun or a PVC box to bend the PVC to liking? Or are the 45's in there for strengthening? It would be cheaper to eliminate the 45 couplings.

I want to try and make one of these and I do have a PVC box heater.

I like it!

#10 Nazir's

Nazir's

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:07 AM

What's a PVC box heater? What is it used for?

#11 sparkysmom

sparkysmom

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:58 AM

It is for bending PVC pipe. I am an electrician. And you can make any bend you want once the pipe is heated to the right temp. 90's, 45's etc. You can use a paint stripper (looks like a hair dryer) but they take forever. The box will have it hot in 1 or 2 minute with 1/2 inch or 3/4 PVC. Schedule 40 not 80, cuz that is thicker. It is a long box with a heating element inside and a reflector. The top opens and you put the pipe in. The ends of the stick will be hanging out and you roll it until it is soft enough to make your bend.

So basicly you could get one ten foot stick and keep heating and bending and end up with a spiral. Or circular. So that was why I was wondering if the 45 couplings were for strength. Cuz i could see why that might be as well.

Course I would never use electrical PVC to make a bird stand. But the plumbing kind, that white plumbing kind is safe right?

#12 jimpierce7

jimpierce7

• Members
  • 7294 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:48 AM

I have a heat gun I use to twist PVC and deform it to make it easy to stand on........ for birds any way. I was just talking to my electrician yesterday about the PVC heat box. I made an "atom" last fall that the birds weren't thrilled about, but I twisted up all the PVC with the heat gun.
Posted Image

#13 Copper

Copper

Property Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:57 AM

A heater will allow you to soften the pipe up for a short period of time so you can get the bends that you want, a twist, a flat surface, what ever your imagination can come up with.
Once it's cooled it stays in that shape.

#14 sparkysmom

sparkysmom

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

I bet that took forever. Those guns are not exactly efficient for any more than a couple little beds or whatever! The box rocks!

#15 jimpierce7

jimpierce7

• Members
  • 7294 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

sadly I can't come upwith a good enough reason, enough conduit work, to talk the boss into letting me buy a box!! lol
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users