Remember I am very understanding and easy going but don't mistake that for weakness. These rules are put into place to better the community information flows, and members can extract that information, and learn, meet other fellow bird owners, experts, and avian vets in a conducive forum for community growth.
1. The primary focus of BirdBoard.com is the promotion of the hobby and help bird owners learn more about their birds, how to properly take care of them and more.. Therefore, any behavior which blatently transgresses this primary goal is prohibited. Examples of this type of behavior include, but are not limited to: trolling the boards posting anti-bird hobby messages, name-calling based on the fact that a person is an bird keeper, and discussions that incite forum vs. forum or anti-other site sentiments. This includes anti- company, corporation, business or organization threads. Violations of this rule will result in one warning, followed by a 1-month ban for subsequent violations.
2. The forum is divided into numerous subject-specific areas and a designated off-topic, general discussion area. It is required that all off-topic discussion be confined to The Lounge. A small amount of off-topic tangent will be allowed in threads in the subject-specific forums, but threads that wander too far off track will have to be closed,locked or moved with instructions to create a new topic regarding the new topic at hand. Violations of this rule, while not serious, degrade the effectiveness of the forums for other users that may not have as much time to use them as you do. The first 2 violations will be met with mild warnings. 3-4 violations will be met with stern warnings and post/thread deletion and/or movement. The fifth violation will result in a 2-week ban.
3. Everyone comes to BirdBoard with different and widely varied experience levels, species in possession, and formal education. The disrespecting, "flaming", or general harassment of ANY user at BirdBoard based on their perceived lack of knowledge, lack of experience, lack of formal education, short timeline in the hobby proper, or other such petty reasons will result in a stern warning and post deletion, followed by a 1-month ban for subsequent offenses. Instead of belittling, flaming or being rude to another user, why not shed some light on what they can do, and what they should read to help them educate them on the hobby.
If an inexperienced or otherwise ignorant user is truly causing a problem, please report this to the admins or moderators, that's what they are there for.
4. The obligatory Anti-Discrimination clause: Under no circumstances will discrimination, defamation, slander, or gossip about anyone based on religion, race, color, creed, sexual preference, financial status, the size of number of birds or what kind of birds they own, their make of car, the gun(s) they own, or the fact that they like to strap on a pair of stiletto high heels and run around city parks wearing nothing but a yellow raincoat...be tolerated. Any discriminatory remarks will earn you a stern warning and post deletion followed by a 1-month ban for subsequent offenses.
5. The audience of BirdBoard varies widely in age and background. We have members as young as 12 or 13, and this should be kept in mind when posting material that could be considered to be "adult", "mature". Leeway will be given in most cases, as it is not our wish to be thought police, but posts considered to be "crossing the line" between a little adult-oriented fun and mature material is hard to discern. To make this decision easier, please note the following out-of-bounds material:
- overt and/or gross nudity or partial nudity and/or humor
- If you have a link to share, do it in a PM or email
- stories or text, pics, etc
- discussion of explicit topics... there are PLENTY of other forums out there for this
Any violations of this rule will earn a stern warning, followed by a 1-month ban for subsequent offenses. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of a certain topic, please PM or email it a moderator before posting. In this case, it is NOT easier to get forgiveness than permission.
6. Absolutely NO flaming, deliberate personal attacks, or excessively antagonizing posts! Any violations of this rule will earn either a stern warning and post deletion, or a 2-week or 1-month ban, at the moderators' discretion. Obviously, harsher infractions will require harsher punishment, so please think twice.
In the area of enforcement of the rules, Kevin (owner and operator of BirdBoard - aka "Kevin") and the moderators/admins are judge, jury, and executioner. Their decisions are not open for debate, and this is not a democracy. The moderators/admins are NOT to be mocked, ridiculed, or called out on the discussion forums. If you have issues with a mod or Kevin, take it up in an email or PM to Kevin. The public disparaging of ANY mod or admin, for ANY reason will earn you an IMMEDIATE 1-month ban, no questions, no discussion. You've been warned.
7. Acceptable language is a very hard line to draw in the sand. Please appreciate that editing EVERY post with questionable language would require the mods to spend a lot of time scrutinizing...which we're doing anyway, but why make our job harder? Please help us out by avoiding the use of the roughest 4-letter words (you know what they are), and any expletives containing explicit references to bodily equipment or functions. Asterisks or symbols ARE NOT an acceptable way of circumventing this rule. We all know what you're trying to say, and it will be treated as such. Posts will be edited at the mods' discretion, should they see any language they deem over the line. Please don't be a baby and complain about it publicly, use PM or email... in fact, don't complain at all, as it is VERY unlikely that you will get the mod to change his/her mind. Repeated warnings will earn you post deletion and an eventual ban, based on circumstances.
The owner of Bird Board Online community have the right to remove, edit, and or close any thread for any reason.
Edited by hollyhawkz, 05 April 2010 - 09:35 PM.