Photo
- - - - -

Please be aware of this scam if you've lost your pet!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

FRAUD ALERT - April 29, 2007!

http://www.911ParrotAlert.com

There is an email scam targeting people with Lost Pets!
One of the emails used is marcet culict <vaperpelesc@yahoo.com> . There could be others.

He will start by telling you he 'found' your pet, or it 'came on his property'.

He may tell you that he is from another country and working here in the U.S.

He will do hours and days of negotiations with you but will ultimately refuse to show you the animal UNTIL you give him 1/2 of the reward, deposited either in a post office box, to a bank account or by wire transfer.

This has already happened to two people in the past two days that have posted "Lost" ads with Rewards. The email was from the SAME person.

Do NOT believe him. If you give him the money you will just have lost money. He doesn't have your pet.

Any person that really has your pet would gladly let you see him.

PLEASE BEWARE - Do NOT be scammed by someone who is trying to break your heart even further.

Please also be wary of any prank calls! Especially if you've put up a "reward" for your lost pet! If someone calls you, get their full name (if possible), address, and phone number. You can do a Google Search on that persons number, or even one in the Yellow Pages (if you can get a phone number) and see if the information ads up (anything from an address to the persons name and number).
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#2 Tiki

Tiki

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 15443 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

:mad: What a disgusting thing to do! I hope the police nail him fast!

Posted Image

Cockatiels: Tiki, Manu, Maui, Shaka
Quaker Chaska
Blue Princess Parrot: Tjinimin
Green Princess Parrot: Manikay
Nanday Conure: Ixchel
Jenday Conure: Yaxche
Greencheek Conure: Chula
Nansun Conure: Xango
Blue-throated Conure Orisha

#3 Cait

Cait

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

Such a heart break! I can't belive it. What person in the right mind would so such a thing? Sick person...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Cait
My fav food is millet:whoa:

#4 Sashagirl

Sashagirl

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

You just have to be careful of where you post your lost pet ads and be wary of what information you give out about your pets.Just don't give out too much information.

#5 Tinker

Tinker

Blessed by Birds

• Validating
  • 1009 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:45 AM

Anyone who tried that on me would have the police bashing down their door.
Posted Image Proud owner of Lucki whom I rescued on 5/12/07 from an extremely neglectful home.

**Jump Jump, Sugar Lump**

#6 _Cass_

_Cass_

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Monica! I know when Hayley (Also known as Xavier) Lost her bird aree and put up rewards, with her phone # And e-mail address... If he did that to her, she would be heart broken
My Fids!
Jack, Hyacinth Macaw
Divot, My little baby girl.. R.I.P <3
RIP Lola

My Furry Kids!
Jonesie, Cat (8 Years)
Harley, Cat (7 Months)
RIP Anika
RIP Olivia

#7 truelove

truelove

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

actually, when I lost my bird Zazu, the woman from 911parrotalert informed us that she is aware of these scams. If the person says that and does not ask for money, it is okay to trust. Otherwise, its a scam
Budgies Salvador & Fiona
Tiels Clyde, Petey & Darcy
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 red192

red192

• Members
  • 4729 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:30 PM

OMG, the things people do for money!
Too all bird owners & members OLD & NEW, please note that you will see photos I post of my birds outside without a harness or in a cage. I do understand the dangers that lurk and I do take caution when they are out. But please, because you see me do this, do not do it yourself!

Posted Image
Not pictured CAG Maggie, two poms Cricket & Lucy, CockerSpanial Sammy, Maltese Jazmine & 2 annoying cats Pugs & Beasly

#9 Xen

Xen

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

That's just heartless. I wish him nothing but back luck/karma for the rest of his/her worthless existence.

I know money talks, but I think it's a sad show when people want a reward for doing a good deed anyways... like reuniting a lost pet to a distraught owner.

Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age

The child is grown, and puts away childish things.

Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies

Edna St. Vincent Millay

#10 phonelady61

phonelady61

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

What a disgusting thing to do ? i agree with whoever said what some folks will do for money . People like that have something wrong with them and i hope the police nail him soon . Or better yet if he goes into someones house he is met with a nasty pack of dogs that are ready and able to take him out . I hate ppl like this .

#11 orion7

orion7

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

The scam you mentioned is certainly disgusting and does nothing to change mind that society is in a long, downward spiral.

As the manager of a bird store, I have had birds stolen by tweakers (meth addicts). The monetary loss is one thing but the fate of these helpless birds is questionable.

One can only hope that karma has a big surprise waiting for these thieves !

#12 christie99

christie99

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:59 PM

I've gotten this email twice in the last few weeks after trying to help a friend recover a bird that flew off.

I replied to both, "Poor attempt at a scam. Remove my email from your lists." I haven't heard anything since!

#13 rainefeather19128

rainefeather19128

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:44 AM

a true person would return them without asking for a reward.if they get a reward, that's great...if they don't,oh well.just returning the bird to it's home would be good enough.
now a days if anyone asks you for money without proof or reason or just asks in genral don't trust them.a true persons gives from the heart expecting nothing in return.only a theif asks.-hope what i say helps instead of me just rambling like a sleeping parakeet.
abandoned account....person is no longer here!

#14 CatherineL

CatherineL

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:07 PM

There is another one like that. He says he has your bird but it is being minded by a relative miles away. He asks for a photo of your bird to be sure it is yours. He asks for money to get the bird transported back to him because he is hard up at the moment. He goes on and on. The whole email is so convoluted that you don't even bother reading the whole thing.
Visit Roger Roo's website http://rogerockercockatiel.webs.com[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#15 Lori~D

Lori~D

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

anyone notice the date on that?????

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lizzy - :i.batan: Buckeye and Charlie - :Tafrgrey::Tafrgrey: ,3 finches,3 grasskeets ,2 jack russels, 2 horses,

#16 teresamh

teresamh

Blessed by Birds

• Probation
  • 1210 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:32 AM

People are just horrible! Thats why I prefer the company of my birds. I sure hope the police fiind this person but they did me no good when my neighbor stole my bird. Just remember, Carmas a Bitch! If I had listed my bird stolen I might have been contacted by these crazies but at the time I didn't know about bird board or any sites for posting lost birds. Thanks for the info Monica!
Posted Image

Designed by Me!
Not included: Foggie & Tillie (pigeons), LEMMY & BIG BIRD (Budgies)
RUSTY & OREO - cats
MARSHALL - Very patient Boyfriend
LEMON - Canary (RIP)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users