• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 pinkparrot

pinkparrot

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Her harness sliped out of my husbands hand. We where just about to leave, and he was helping me with phoenix and out of the blue took off. when I got her back she still had the harness on.

She spent two nights outside till somebody found her that happend to be one to the pepole that I gave my number to.

Just rember it can happen to anyone harness, wings cliped, fully flighted.

I was truly lucky
Posted Image

Thank you KrytterKrys for the new siggie

#22 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 4015 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:05 PM

thats right, you cant be too careful. :eek:

i took ruby to the park yesterday. she did alot of hop/flapping, while following me. she flew to me about 5 ft. from a table, several times. just waiting for her flight fethers to grow back, to move on to more advanced stuff. :biggrin:

when we got home, we went for a walk around the block, with her harness on. cars were going by both ways, but it didnt seem to distract her, as it dies tiki. tiki wasnt started early enough, to get used that much distraction. :ywink:
TIKI - SUN CONURE, ♂, hatched 3-9-6
PEEPY (FORMERLY SKY) - BLUE PACIFIC PARROTLET, ♀, hatched 7-7-7
RUBY - GREEN WINGED MACAW, ♀, hatched 8-22-7
('>
/))
/""
I'M BUD, ♂, hatched 5-7-48

#23 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

ruby and i, have been walking around the yard when ever it is nice out. she follows me on foot, till i get farther ahead, then she leaps forward, flapping, then more walking, then more flapping. shes getting much stronger. she is begaining her molt, but hasnt replaced any flight feathers yet. :biggrin:
('>
/))
/""

#24 Ina246

Ina246

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated. I would love to see a picture of her following you around like a dog, too cute.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brea and Jezzabelle

Christina

Mom To
Buddy--Staffordshire Terrier (10/26/02)
Pawlee--Dutch Shepard (7/2/04)
Merlin--Great Dane (2/18/05)
Brea--Pooranian(Poodle Pomeranian Mix) (4/13/06)
Gweneviere--Great Dane (10/2/06)

Jezzabelle--Blue Fronted Amazon (9/1/07)

#25 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:21 PM

still no camera. :sad:
('>
/))
/""

#26 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:30 PM

there is an event, the dog people put together every spring, called strut yur mutt. it was this past saturday, at a local park. wasatch avian sociaty had a booth there, and ask if i'd bring ruby for a while. i thought it would be a great chance to get ruby more acustomed to crowds, dogs, music, and other assorted distractions. she did great. im so proud. we were only 2 booths away from the stage. they had a loud rock band playing. didnt even faze ruby. she was swaying, and dancing to the music. there were 2 B&G's, a milligold, a military, a goffin too, and a jenday conure. ruby was the biggest, and the best behaved, and of coarse, got all the attention, love, and children. we only stayed an hour. i didnt want to over do it. we went up on a nearby grassy hill, and did some recall, and flapping exersize. :clappurple:
('>
/))
/""

#27 Ina246

Ina246

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

Way to go Ruby:) Sounds like you guys had a good time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brea and Jezzabelle

Christina

Mom To
Buddy--Staffordshire Terrier (10/26/02)
Pawlee--Dutch Shepard (7/2/04)
Merlin--Great Dane (2/18/05)
Brea--Pooranian(Poodle Pomeranian Mix) (4/13/06)
Gweneviere--Great Dane (10/2/06)

Jezzabelle--Blue Fronted Amazon (9/1/07)

#28 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:24 PM

WOW!!! this thread hasnt been posted to for a year. how about an update?

OK!

well we spent the rest of last summer just jumping, and flapping. by the time winter set in Ruby had only replaced 4 flights out of 8 on each side. she had a couple of panic flights, crashing into parked cars in the parking lot at our complex. no injuries. she was never allowed to fledge before she was clipped, so she didnt know how to turn, land, or hover, just fly straight ahead. i had hoped she would have grown in all her flight feathers, and be an accomplished flyer by the end of last summer, but that wasnt the case. we spent the cold months indoors practicing recall, flying to my arm from increasing distances, flying from arm to perch, and back, flying to me in a doorway, flying to me sanding just out of sight behond the doorway, flying from room to room, staying put, and etc. when it got warmer this april, i rented a large storage unit to work on our skills in a larger environment. learning to fly down is very important. if your bird flys to a tree, and just sits there waiting for you to "come and get me" . this is very common. its a must to know how to fly down on command. we practiced that from an 8 foot ladder with a 4 foot perch at the top. she started flying to me from the ladder to about 3o feet away to my arm, then i moved closer to the ladder each time, slowly increasing the angle of desent til she was flying straight down to me sitting at the bottom of the ladder. we also learned to fly up, for the same reasons. our flying around the yard, this season, has been with the aviator harness, because we live in town. i found a clearing about a mile down a bike trail. i thought this would be better than starting free flight at a park where dogs are. ruby isnt afraid of dogs, cause she is friendly with the neighbors dogs, and they know her, and wont hurt her, so if she was on the ground at a regular park, and a dog approched her, she wouldnt fly off, and the dog might not be friendly to birds. well anyway, monday evening, we went to this clearing i found, i placed her on the ground, backed up about 40 feet, called her, she took off and missed my arm, flew in a circle over the 10+ acre area about 4 times to the left, gradually getting higher, tried to desend to me, missed again, circled to the right about 3 times, getting lower each circle, missed me again, landed on the ground, one tired bird. then came much praise, treats, and water. i wish i had a camera, it was quite a beautiful sight.:photo: im so proud of her.:14: we'll have to work on slowing/breaking, so she can land on my arm. she could do this in the storage unit, but she was reaching very high speeds out there. she'll get it with more practice. we've got a whole new summer ahead of us. i promise to update this more often.

please excuse my poor grammer, spelling , and punctuation. i didnt learnt mutch at skool. if you have any questions about parts of this that are uninteledgable. please ask and i'll try to splain it gooder. :tongue_smilie:
('>
/))
/""

#29 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

I'm glad to hear of an update finally!!!! I hope the training lessons for you and Ruby continue to go well! Can't wait to see some pictures!
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#30 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

we went to our clearing again on sat. may 24th. she few circles ,the first few times, then landed high in a tree. she was tired, and looking at the sights, and didnt come down for quite a while. finally i showed her a bowl of water, that did the trick. i was cloudy so we stayed a bit longer this time. :ywink:

sat may 30, we went to the beach at great salt lake. its about an hour away. the lake is so low this year, there are places you cant see the road in one direction, and you cant see the lake in the other direction, and no trees. we flew til we were both pooped.:yawn:

yesterday we played in the yard. Ruby flew between her hanging atom and a treestand. we normally do this harnessed, but her recall was so good saturday that we cheated, and played without the harness. she didnt realize it was off, i dont think. no distractions botherd her enough for flight. we will only do this on windless days for now. :ywink:
('>
/))
/""

#31 KimM

KimM

• Members
  • 3466 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:59 AM

You may have seen his birds, but there is a guy named Chris Biro who trains his birds in Utah for free flight.. He seems to really know his stuff. He says he's only lost one bird in all his training for free flight. I think he and his wife/girlfriend have a place way out in the country and they have several macaws and I think other types of birds as well. They are all free flight trained. It's really cool to watch.
Owned by:
Newton (Harlequin), Elliot (Scarlet), Handsome (American Saddlebred), Hyah (Miligold)

Warning: Do not let these little innocent faces fool you!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#32 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

YES!! Chris and susan have Porcupine ranch near moab. there birds are out most of the time. the have a red roof, a great land mark for the birds. in addition to several macaws, they have a flock of 12 sun conures. i think they have a couple of sun pairs nesting in a nearby cliff. OH! to live in the country. :cowboy:

they are a couple hundred miles south of me. i plan to fly with them a couple times this fall after lots more practice. Ruby is a level 1 flyier. those cliffs and wind condotions are level 5 at least.

if your interested in free flight for your bird, or just want to hear somore flight stories from all over the world please join freeflight@yahoogroups.com thats Chris' list. as far as im concerned Chris, and Susan are the gurus of free flight.

you must be familiar with his site at www.wingsatliberty.com ? :thumbup1:
('>
/))
/""

#33 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

since my post of 6-1, we have been training in the yard unharnessed. yesterday she noticed the harness was missing and flew to a tree. she was quite proud, and stayed there tasting the bark and leaves. i called her, she called back, i moved about 50' toward our training area. she flew to a tree closer to me. 3 more trees later, she saw the water bowl on her play stand, and flew to it, missed it, landed on the atom swing in a nearby tree, then to the playstand, drinking like it was the last water on earth. she kept to the familiar trees in our complex, i think due to our walking around within the complex 3-4 times a day since its been warm enough, on my shoulder, with a harness, she is use to the yard and familiar enough not to venture further, or she was just keeping me in sight. we will continue with this on increasingly windyer days. she still has a little trouble slowing/breaking but is getting better. saturday we will go back to the salt lake (no trees) to practice landing on me with out too many fly bys. :icon_biggrin:
('>
/))
/""

#34 MaryG1959

MaryG1959

• Members
  • 2452 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

a tame blue and gold macaw is no match for a predatory bird such as a hawk. Frankly, for me---I think it is too much of a risk. You are also risking that the bird will get swept in a wind current to a high place where it is too afraid to return.

You are far braver than I am.
Mary Genotti-Collins

#35 jenseits

jenseits

• Members
  • 2967 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

I posted an interview of Chris Biro on my blog, but to keep it balanced, I also think it should be pointed out that he's somewhat controversial in some parts of the professional training circuit. There are at least a couple well-known and highly regarded professional trainers (including those who teach free flight) who don't entirely approve of his methods or philosophy, think he has a too-high risk tolerance, and worry about the concept of teaching something as risky as free flight via an open list where people misunderstand what he says (or just pay selective attention) and go off and do crazy things. That's just hearsay, so take it for what it's worth. But I thought that's worth pointing out.

I think free flight is awesome to watch. Just no way I could ever do it with my guys. Not enough discipline (on my end) and way too much fear (also on my end).

Posted Image
-------------------------------------------
Mika, White Capped Pionus | Stewie, Sun Conure
-------------------------------------------
Best in Flock parrot blog
Featured posts:
- Parrot Dominance - A False Construct
- How Loud is a Screaming Sun Conure?
- Clicker Training Misconceptions
- Parrots Never Bite for "No Reason"
- Clicker Training for Birds - Book Review

#36 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Have you read Chris' list? its members include "well-known, and highly regarded" professional flyers from all over the world, trainers of prey birds, falconeers, and corvids (SP?). its important to understand all kinds, and their variations, and sizes. its true they do disagree on a daily basis, but what of well of knowledge. its the best resource i've found. all my birds enjoy freeflight. Ruby's the novis, but is doing very well. i may have the only free flying p'let, anyway she's the only one i know of, and peaple have mentioned this.

people go off and do crazy things every day whether they subscribe to a list, or not, but by reading a list, they have more knowledge than they would have otherwise. books are good, but you cant ask them questions.

i thank you for your concern. i know your only thinking about the welfare of my birds, and i thank you for that.
('>
/))
/""

#37 asulli

asulli

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1653 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

I am so very chicken! But then I am just recently been adopted by my Alex. All I know is that she is teaching me well! I come on command. I am just not sure if she would come on command. I think it is amazing how some people can even take their birds camping and they stay with them....Hurray for those who can...I will just have to sit back and watch! I am sure that it takes a lot of training on both sides!

#38 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

yesterday, while out, Ruby was content to just fly to the playstand for a nut, fly to the atom swing to eat it, and so on. she must have satisfied her curiosity about trees the day before. there is a basket ball hoop near our practice area. for the first time kids were playing basket ball, while we were out, and ruby didnt spook, not even when some other kids were poping firecrackers, and later a light rain. she was a good girl and got some pinenuts for that.:icon_biggrin:
('>
/))
/""

#39 Congobongo

Congobongo

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1284 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

I had a Hawk try to go off with my Chihuahua. No way I am going to allow that for my bird!

#40 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

we flew at great salt lake beach again saturday, about an hour and a half. Ruby is getting better at landing on my arm. she still misses sometimes for going too fast. it got too hot so we left. yesterday it rained all day so we stayed in.:mellow:
('>
/))
/""

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users