32 replies to this topic

#1 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 4015 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, UT

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

i took peepy out yesterday. he flew from his carrier to my shoulder 6 times. i know this was very reckless of me, but he is dooing realy good indoors now. and it was such a perfect day. we will do alot more indoor recalling, before we try it a gain. hes such a happy little camper now that he can fly. :biggrin:
TIKI - SUN CONURE, ♂, hatched 3-9-6
PEEPY (FORMERLY SKY) - BLUE PACIFIC PARROTLET, ♀, hatched 7-7-7
RUBY - GREEN WINGED MACAW, ♀, hatched 8-22-7
('>
/))
/""
I'M BUD, ♂, hatched 5-7-48

#2 Sally

Sally

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:28 AM

Please keep him in a play cage outside. If he gets scared he will be gone forever. Or a hawk or animal can hurt him. I have heard tragidy after tragidy on the forums with letting the birds be free outside. I would never take a chance, they depend on us for thier safety.
Posted Image

#3 Courtzrocks

Courtzrocks

• Members
  • 3208 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:10 AM

I so want to teach matches to free fly!!! But i dont trust her much lol, plus we have some nasty sort of birds around. I am pretty certain she wont fly away cos she loves people but I'm a bit scared. She has been on my shoulder going from the house to the aviary and not moved but that's it and only once.
Posted ImagePosted Image

BB's (birdie babies):

Grey 18yr, male Cockatiel: Daisy (yes I know)
2 yr, Female Alexandrine: Matches
2 yr, Female Green Cheek Conure: Beetle
1 yr, Male Yellowsided Green cheek: Kombi
4 mth, Purple Crowned Lorikeet: Widget
Unweaned male Pale-headed rosella and Moustache Parrot.

Avairy birds
4 Bourkes parrots, 3 Japanese Quail,
2 Pale-Headed Rosellas

#4 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Be careful courtz, thats when the tragities happen, taking chances when they dont have the recall reflex. one of those scary birds could squak and send poor matches off, and she wont know to come right back. :sad:
('>
/))
/""

#5 Lori~D

Lori~D

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

Geez ppl, Birds were MENT to be outdoors. Yay , you happy flying birdies! My are not recall trained but I so want to do it one day with a new baby. I wonder how hard it is with an older bird?

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lizzy - :i.batan: Buckeye and Charlie - :Tafrgrey::Tafrgrey: ,3 finches,3 grasskeets ,2 jack russels, 2 horses,

#6 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

i've never tried it with an older bird, but it doesnt seem like it would be easy. thats like changing their whole world, but starting a young bird very soon, is just adding to his ever changing new world. its very natural for a young bird. i wouldnt traumatize an old bird that way. i would only take an old bird out, cage and all, so he'd feel safe, and if he looked at all nevous i would take him back in, and take him out another time for a bit longer, but probably never with out a cage. :ywink:
('>
/))
/""

#7 Sally

Sally

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:30 AM

I have heard horrible tragedies. On another board a Cockatiel was attacked by a Robin. Yes, they are birds, but they cannot defend themselves and being free may be what they will be if you do not protect them. I cannot even count the horrible stories. It isn't fair to the birds, they depend on us.

They do not know how to come home usually if they get too far or too high in the air. Using a nice cage outside to get some fresh air is fun and safe.
Posted Image

#8 MicahEspudo

MicahEspudo

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1252 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:32 AM

Just be sure to teach peepy to fly DOWN! I know it sounds basic... but for a bird flying down is a real challenge!
Sage (Lucida subspecies female)

#9 Courtzrocks

Courtzrocks

• Members
  • 3208 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:47 AM

I have taught matches to fly to me on command indoors. I have been teaching her to fly down too, that's why i hoped she wouldnt fly off on my shoulder.
Posted ImagePosted Image

BB's (birdie babies):

Grey 18yr, male Cockatiel: Daisy (yes I know)
2 yr, Female Alexandrine: Matches
2 yr, Female Green Cheek Conure: Beetle
1 yr, Male Yellowsided Green cheek: Kombi
4 mth, Purple Crowned Lorikeet: Widget
Unweaned male Pale-headed rosella and Moustache Parrot.

Avairy birds
4 Bourkes parrots, 3 Japanese Quail,
2 Pale-Headed Rosellas

#10 JazzyBabe

JazzyBabe

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:20 AM

i wonder if you taught the bird to come to a dog whistle, it would find you from further distances.

that way if it got away, you could whistle and it would hear it and come find you. i would really hate to lose a bird like that. the whistle might be the safety net.

Stephanie
Posted Image
and Jade

#11 MicahEspudo

MicahEspudo

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1252 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

But I still wouldn't fly a bird as small as a parrotlet... A conure is the smallest I'd go... and thats pretty risky. Honestly if you teach your parrotlet to free fly outdoors I think it would be a first!

#12 Sally

Sally

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

They really do have a hard time coming home when lost. From above, it is hard to find you. Houses and trees, etc. I think a big room would be good enough. Cages outside keep them safe. It is horrible to hear the sad stories over the years.
Posted Image

#13 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

funny you should mention "above", thats just what we were doing yesterday. peepy was coming to me from a friend, on the second, and third floor balconys, he folds up and dives, then opens his wings and glides to my shoulder. its too cute for words. :biggrin:
('>
/))
/""

#14 JazzyBabe

JazzyBabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

you sure are risky with that little guy! sounds like its fun though. I hope nothing happens to the little guy (of course you are thinking, "oh nothing will, dont worry")... but still...

Stephanie
Posted Image
and Jade

#15 Sally

Sally

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

NO, not above close by, I mean if they get afraid and fly or are attacked. BLOCKS or miles away.
Posted Image

#16 MicahEspudo

MicahEspudo

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1252 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:41 PM

funny you should mention "above", thats just what we were doing yesterday. peepy was coming to me from a friend, on the second, and third floor balconys, he folds up and dives, then opens his wings and glides to my shoulder. its too cute for words. :biggrin:

Wow. Thats great! But if you really want to get into free flying heres a couple links I am using to do research:

Free Flight Training

Congo African Grey Freeflight

#17 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

you could get hit by a bus, but i hope you dont. i wouldnt want you to confine yourself to the house just because some people have accidents. my sun can find me from afar. he has enjoyed free flight for a year now. i am very careful, and my GW and peepy will have even better training. cause im a better trainer now. my sun and i learned alot from each other. :smile::ywink:
('>
/))
/""

#18 JazzyBabe

JazzyBabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

lol... thats good. Its just that as a care taker of animals, i dont like putting them in risky situations. its like walking a dog without a leash. I know you can train them to walk at your side without one but the day he runs into the street and gets hit by a car will be a sad one. and one where you will feel all the blame. So I go with the leash.

Stephanie
Posted Image
and Jade

#19 Sally

Sally

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1560 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

Yes, it is like a dog and a leash. They can be hurt if an animal comes up to them or they run from being afraid of a loud noise etc. We have to care for them as a child needs care. We can look before crossing a street, kids and pets cannot quite understand danger.
Posted Image

#20 ROYJOY

ROYJOY

• Members
  • 4015 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

the joy of free flight is worth the risk. we are very careful. accidents happen indoors too. flight is natural for birds, and they need to experience that, for a ful life experience. god forbid something happening, but a short life with that kind of joy, is better than a long life in a cage. just like people that have a full, fun, over the edge short life, jumping out of planes, and sking down cliffs would rather do that than stay in the house all day. i cant ask my birds what they'd rather do, but they sure are happy after some flying. :biggrin:
('>
/))
/""

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users