• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:56 PM

I have a male and female Society finch, both which are blind in one eye. I got them over the weekend and I decided on them because of their condition. The looked like they were beat up. The female has just a shab of a tail and is plucked on her belly. The male has been plucked on his head. I asked the lady why they were in this shape and she said that other uncompatable finch were housed with them for a time. Ok, I put a nest in their cage as they never had one and they have toys and fake greenery that covers half a side of their cage, pellets, herbs, garden flora and 2 seed mixes. They look much less stressed but then I noticed the male trying to pull the tail and wings of the female. They have nesting material and the male is very busy, what should I do and/or should I be concerned? Sorry so long. Thank you.
Harley - TAG
BooBoo - Green Cheek Conure
Bonnie & Clyde - Society Finch
Charlie - Blue & Gold
Adam & Eve - American Budgies
6 Pups- Aspen (Westie), Pebbles (Cairn Terrier), Rocky (Chow), Dakota (Mix), Gator (Yorkie), Booger (Brussels Griffon)
and a Wonderful Husband, Brian

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:40 PM

If the male is plucking the female, they should be seperated. If their feathers are rattled, the finches should be on a good diet (with dark green leafy veggies, and maybe some put through a blinder or something similar to make tiny pieces), with spray baths, and time to recover from their ordeal. Please seperate them into different cages and remove the nest.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 Elizabeth

Elizabeth

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have removed the nest and they are going to the vets this am at 9. I think they may have mites as well. But we'll see what the vet says and get them taken care of. Thanks again.
Harley - TAG
BooBoo - Green Cheek Conure
Bonnie & Clyde - Society Finch
Charlie - Blue & Gold
Adam & Eve - American Budgies
6 Pups- Aspen (Westie), Pebbles (Cairn Terrier), Rocky (Chow), Dakota (Mix), Gator (Yorkie), Booger (Brussels Griffon)
and a Wonderful Husband, Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users