• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lyoness

lyoness

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:50 AM

Can anybody help me with some parrotlet mannerisms? I'm familiar with a cockatiels, but it seems I know nothing of a parrotlets. When she's near a mirror she puffs up, attacks it and does a funky little chicken dance. I assume this is a territorial thing, but she puffs up when I scratch her head as well. On the same note, she seems to enjoy head scritches and turns her chin upside down for more. Puffing is angry or pleased? And what about when just her head feathers stick up? Is that a threat? Are her nibbles ill-willed? Or are they just playful? Why does she seem so intent on burying herself in my hair (dreadlocks)?

Can anybody help or is this the kind of question that depends on the parrotlet's personality?
:confused:

#2 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

I suggest for you to take away the mirror (as mirrors can cause problems in the long run, creating aggressive birds or may forget how to actually be a bird and may not know how to act towards a bird that doesn't copy their every movements... among other things). Sounds though as if she is attacking her reflection.

When birds are getting a headscratch and love it, they'll fluff up their feathers. However, they may also fluff up their feathers to look BIGGER to try to get unwanted attention to go away (such as an enemy). She may even puff her feathers though when shes content and tired.

Her nibbles could be playing around, testing, her a way to show her displeasure. You'll have to watch her mood and watch her eyes to see if they dilate. Sounds like she likes to cuddle up against you in your hair. If I have my tiel and conure outside with me at night and its a bit chilly, they like to snuggle up to my neck for the extra warmth. It's not normal though for them to be out past dark and can't exactly remember the last time.
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#3 Crebain

Crebain

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Banned
  • 1283 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

I'll try the bird-buddy thing too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users