• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lori~D

Lori~D

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

Anybody ever had a horse go lame from the snowballs that build in the front feet sometimes?? My Paso Mare is exhibiting founder type pain in the front and I cleaned out the snow a few times but today I put Old Macs boots on and even tho she still shows some pain it was markedly better after putting the boots on so the snow wouldnt pack. Waiting on the Farrier tomorrow and if needed the vet after that but though there might be others with horses on here to share some expirience. This horse has never been Lame a day in her life.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lizzy - :i.batan: Buckeye and Charlie - :Tafrgrey::Tafrgrey: ,3 finches,3 grasskeets ,2 jack russels, 2 horses,

#2 odhinn

odhinn

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

Once, but it wasn't the snow that did it. We cleaned a small rock out that actually bruised her sole. Maybe she bruised it on something else and the compacted snow is just coincidence.

#3 GlendaNS

GlendaNS

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1447 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:47 AM

Their feet do get sore and bruised from snow packing in them. It is like walking on a rock. Sometimes they get thrush in their feet from being wet too.
The Farrier should be able to tell you for sure.

:Tafrgrey: Stella :i.batan: :i.batan: :i.batan: Maxie, Whiteboy, Willy :i.akahara: Lukey :i.beni: BJ :i.kuruma: Dolly

Posted Image
Psalms 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

#4 Lori~D

Lori~D

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:54 AM

Its both front feet and they are so nice and clean looking and healthy looking. Usually if there is a bruise you can see red coming to the surface on the sole. She practically laid down when I lifted each foot to inspect as she didnt want to stand on one foot. If I didnt know better Id say she was foundering but she never left the feild and there is nothing new to eat or anything. Everyone else is good. The other thing I thought was she might have fallen. The day we noticed it had warmed up and turned our entire world slippery slopes. I figured she might have been running with the heard and fell but now it really seems like the two front feet. She is reluctant to give one but the back she lifts fine. This horse is an easy keeper and about 11. Had one foal who is now coming five. She seemed more willing to give once I got the ice pack out of her feet and she could stand better and then walked a little better after I put the boots on. She hasnt worked in weeks,lol, winter fat is setting in,lol.

Edited by Lori~D, 26 January 2009 - 05:16 PM.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lizzy - :i.batan: Buckeye and Charlie - :Tafrgrey::Tafrgrey: ,3 finches,3 grasskeets ,2 jack russels, 2 horses,

#5 odhinn

odhinn

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:06 AM

Probably best to get someone there to take a look. Diagnosing over the net can be a dangerous thing.

Edited by odhinn, 26 January 2009 - 02:19 AM.

#6 OzzyBird81

OzzyBird81

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:06 AM

Is she tender in the shoulders at all? If the snow or ice has been balling in her hooves and/or she slipped in mud it may be possible that she pulled her back or shoulders making her lame up front. Is there any heat coming off her hooves or front legs? Is she standing with most of her weight on her back legs, front stretched out with weight on the heel?

This doesn't strike me right off as founder. She's in the age range but it's the wrong time of year for it unless she's gotten into the feed bin or been really overworked and over fed recently. It seems more like a strain or injury to me. Thrush is easily recognizable. Once you smell it you don't forget! There is a slight possibility of navicular but the sudden onset makes me not think so.

There are a myriad of problems that fit what you've described. I used to ride and train Pasos. They're a unique breed with exquisite gait. Their hoof shape is different from other breeds. A farrier that knows how to properly trim gaited horses is imperative. I've seen Pasos on multiple occasions put lame from an improper trim. Get your farrier out there ASAP and have your vet follow up, like you've planned.

Also, you can spray non-stick cooking spray or put Vaseline on the bottom of hooves to prevent snow build up. Snow pads are awesome is she's shod.

Let us know what the farrier says!

Pam

#7 hatchling

hatchling

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

I would think she probably strained something from standing on snow balls. See if you can pull her shoes so snow doesn't ball up or put pads on if you can't. Probably a look by the farrier and some stall rest is all she needs. Keep us posted.
Stephanie
The kids:
Chyna Pit/lab mix - CGC
Henry American Pit Bull Terrier - CGC, TDI
Pattersyn monster kitty!
Charley White face grey 'tiel
Perley Day White face cinnamon 'tiel
Royal White capped Pionus
Ryan Appendix QH

#8 Lori~D

Lori~D

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

She has never needed shoes and doesnt wear them. The farrier comes tonight. he has been doing her since a baby. She is wearing Old Macs boots on the front right now and I will cushion them inside if needed. He will use the testors to try to isolate the pain and see if it is indeed in the foot or not. I cannot feel any heat in the leg. She bends her neck both sides for me and up and down. She isnt standing camped out in the front but she will shift the weight. She didnt get into any weird feed. No , thrush - very clean and hard and healthy looking, no smell. When I palpate her spine I get no pain reflex. Now when I ask her to walk forward she does stiffley and then lowers her head for the first several steps (made me think back/neck) but where it really shows is when I ask her to step off to the right and she has to shift all her weight to one foot. To the left is not as bad but still stiff.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#9 OzzyBird81

OzzyBird81

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:38 AM

Has the farrier come out yet?

#10 Lori~D

Lori~D

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

Yes, more later Im at work but its her leg and/or shoulder - not the foot.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#11 Lori~D

Lori~D

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:44 AM

Well it wasnt in her feet after all. Seems we could squeeze all over - nothing but when we bunched her leg up tight (bending up the knee and fetlock) she cried uncle quick and only on one side. Tiny bit of swelling and warmth in her pastern just above the coronary band. Wrap, Linament, and rest was all the doc said over the phone if there was no significant heat and swelling and she DOES walk on it and eating and drinking well. She must have fallen on the ice.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#12 GlendaNS

GlendaNS

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1447 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

Well good! Glad it was nothing more. If you keep your horses together, she might have gotten kicked. Guess ya just had to be there to know for sure. Sounds like she is going to be fine.

:Tafrgrey: Stella :i.batan: :i.batan: :i.batan: Maxie, Whiteboy, Willy :i.akahara: Lukey :i.beni: BJ :i.kuruma: Dolly

Posted Image
Psalms 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

#13 Lori~D

Lori~D

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:10 AM

Yah but its gonna be awhile, she is quite sore. My husband is sick about it - she is his favorite. She was a baby when we met - SHe taught him how to ride...er...is teaching, lol. Now see, he just called me a jerkwad

Ralph Waldo Emerson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users