6 replies to this topic

#1 speedylocksmith

speedylocksmith

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

Here's a pic of the cage. I cut 2 dowels to make them into perches to lodge in the top when it's opened. I want to put some kind of toys up there for her to play with, something that comes off easy so when it's time to cover the cage at night it takes about 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes to get off. Anyone have ideas? Pics would also be cool.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Lori~D

Lori~D

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:30 AM

sorry - not a big fan of those cages just for that reason and the fact they poo on everything inside while up there. Better Idea to get a seperate playstand like this....
Bird Play Gyms and Playstands: Super Pet EZ Care Activity Center for Small Birds

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lizzy - :i.batan: Buckeye and Charlie - :Tafrgrey::Tafrgrey: ,3 finches,3 grasskeets ,2 jack russels, 2 horses,

#3 speedylocksmith

speedylocksmith

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:34 AM

Well we got the cage for $50 and it's normally $175 so we couldn't pass it up. I've been considering to keep the top closed all the time and putting a play area on top permanently. I'd like to see pics if anyone else has done that.
Posted Image

#4 Peanutbutter

Peanutbutter

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:51 AM

I don't have an open top... but any playstand would work really.

I made a PVC gym & put it on a plastic serving tray... sometimes its on top of her cage, other times its on the table, and sometimes is on an end table... and occasionally I rip it apart & make a new one. lol.
I like it on the serving tray because then if it is on top of her cage she doesn't poop on the top bars, kwim. eww. Here are 2 of them that I actually uploaded pics of:

http://i117.photobuc...ll/Feb09053.jpg
http://i117.photobuc.../playstand3.jpg

Have u tried using a rope perch instead of dowels? Don't know if it would work, but it seems that if u positioned it just right you could just bend it down inside the cage at night time.
- PB
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Posted Image

#5 Tarrah

Tarrah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

What you could do too, is get a small kitchen tray (or something similar), which will straddle the opening up top, so while the bird is on your perches, it will catch any poo he drops. However, it won't catch any if he is standing like he is in the pic. It also will not allow him to go in or out through the top of the cage...he would have to crawl down to his door if it is left open.
Tarrah, Shiloh, Memphis, Maya & Ollie!
:i.kuro::i.kame1::i.opl::i.osina:
:29:

#6 Shutterbugmom

Shutterbugmom

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

I don't have an open top... but any playstand would work really.

I made a PVC gym & put it on a plastic serving tray... sometimes its on top of her cage, other times its on the table, and sometimes is on an end table... and occasionally I rip it apart & make a new one. lol.
I like it on the serving tray because then if it is on top of her cage she doesn't poop on the top bars, kwim. eww. Here are 2 of them that I actually uploaded pics of:

http://i117.photobuc...ll/Feb09053.jpg
http://i117.photobuc.../playstand3.jpg

Have u tried using a rope perch instead of dowels? Don't know if it would work, but it seems that if u positioned it just right you could just bend it down inside the cage at night time.

Your gym looks great! May I ask where you got teh plastic serving tray? It looks ideal for a playgym!

Thanks.

Jo

#7 Peanutbutter

Peanutbutter

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:52 PM

Quick Hi-jack..... :)

I got the blue serving tray at Hobby Lobby. It is huge & super sturdy.

The green one came from walmart and is thin/lightweight... I plan to remake a hanging stand and let that be the poop catcher.

Here it one after I remade it again last night:
Posted Image
- PB
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users