5 replies to this topic

#1 pmignella

pmignella

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

Well I have a pair of doves out side my daughters window and they have two babies. Problem is where the parents made the nest it is right on the fire excape and is a twenty foot drop. The babies take one step and it is over. definately first time parents nest is very shotty at best. Was thinking of pulling the babies to hand feed has any one ever hand fed doves? I realy do not think they are going to make it long if i leave them where they are.

#2 Maegen Sue Persing

Maegen Sue Persing

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:32 PM

My thoughts on wild birds....leave them alone. If they make it they make it, if they dont they dont. Not every animal is supposed to make it, if they did, we would be a little crowded on this planet. I do feel for the situation though, i am not cold hearted. Just keep an eye on them. Maybe put something soft under the firescape like blankets.
Maegen Sue Persing
Vermillion, SD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Connor

#3 Lori~D

Lori~D

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 6079 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

Leave them alone. Pigeon milk is different than handfeeding formula. The babies will look like they dont fit in the nest but thats the way morning doves are. The best luck for wild babies is to be left alone. Besides - Morning doves are a protected species and illegal to keep without a permit in most states.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lizzy - :i.batan: Buckeye and Charlie - :Tafrgrey::Tafrgrey: ,3 finches,3 grasskeets ,2 jack russels, 2 horses,

#4 chseeads

chseeads

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:14 PM

Doves just make really flimsy looking nests anyways, so it's probably not that they were unskilled nest builders.
Snoopy - Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
Woodstock - Sun Conure
An aviary of finches and such.
http://birdboard.com...line=1236875377

#5 MusicalFeathers

MusicalFeathers

I LOVE BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

If the parents are still tending to them, despite conditions, I also would suggest letting them be.

I had an experience where I found a baby mourning dove with no parents and was being eaten alive by ants. I took him in and hand fed and cared for him like a baby... Did lots of research....and after he was able to fly, I set him free (of course gradually).......he came back everyday at 3:30pm for seeds till he found a mate...(which he brought for me to see)....and then he never came back.....

Truly was the most amazing thing I ever experienced. He would wait in the oak tree outside my door and would fly down when I opened the door at 3:30pm and come inside to eat...then leave again.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience.
Hope the babies survive. Regardless of their sloppy nestbuilding skills, they are so smart and simply beautiful.
A Mama to:

Turtle - Ekkie
Gergi - GCC
Gigi - Blue Crown
Chimney (Chim Chim) - YSGCC
Joe-Z - Tiel
Billy - Tiel

#6 The Boy With The Birds

The Boy With The Birds

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

I would also let them be-

doves are hopeless nest builders---
so it apears. Their nests may look flimsy and a mess but
naturally prove strong and efficent.

it is natural for 2 chicks to become crowded as thats is what makes doves fledge in the fist place.

handraising doves is very heard. Seeing pigeon milk is only a natural substance and can't be copied. But it may be substituted. Chicks are also very weak and can be quite stubborn when feeding comes not excepting foods.
[SIGPIC]Never leave out a species :stuart:: keeper of parrots, pigeons & doves, finches, quail, softbills, partridge & pheasants[/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users