12 replies to this topic

#1 RXK

RXK

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1807 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

came across this article that i think everyone should read:

Google Image Result for http://www.araproject.nl/images/uploads/2007/02/pluk-blauwgele.jpg

the harsh reality of the pet parrot industry... food for thought.
Save your health, save the planet, save animals: go vegetarian/vegan!

Spread the word. Change the destiny of billions of helpless animals.

#2 expressmailtome

expressmailtome

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 5198 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

Thank you! That was an interesting article!

Matt

#3 Guest_NotEnoughTime_*

Guest_NotEnoughTime_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:07 AM

This article is a Tweeti article from 2005 - I gather you read it after search for some images... She published "Of Parrots and People" well after this article.

The actual link is: “Factory farming” approach takes toll - City Parrots

Tweeti is definately a journalist. The article is loaded with unsubstantiated statistics, quotes for an interview with on breeder (in Kansas) and then saying "breeders say" (note the plural). What exactly was quoted from Richard Farinato when you read the second paragaraph under "bare bones conditions." And of course the famous, "They hate me." Sigh...

That being said, I believe her book is a worthwhile read if only to give a different viewpoint on the world of parrots.

Obtaining efficiencies are all of what the capitalist system is about. IMO one cannot complain about the system on one hand, yet accept the benefits of the system on the other hand.

Of course, after this last "sub-prime mortgage" and "commercial paper" fiasco... One could question the entire system and whether or not it really works.

#4 RubyMuse

RubyMuse

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 852 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

I have seen similiar articles and think that it is very interesting. I always say that the animal welfare standards in breeding should not be measured by the offspring, but by the lives lead by the parents.

#5 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:45 PM

I've split the thread in regards to RXK's jenday regurgitation and humping. Please see the conure forum!
http://www.birdboard...advice-pls.html
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#6 xafsmom

xafsmom

On Hiatus!

• Members
  • 8464 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:27 AM

I have seen similiar articles and think that it is very interesting. I always say that the animal welfare standards in breeding should not be measured by the offspring, but by the lives lead by the parents.

Exactly!

(obligatory additional text so it will post)

Taking a posting break! On Hiatus! If you need me directly for help or questions, email! Have fun guys!

Posted Image

Unweaned birds? Here ya go.

#7 perchingbird

perchingbird

Blessed by Birds

• Members
  • 1135 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:51 AM

... heh. I just posted about "Of Parrots and People" in another thread. The book doesn't have a "references" section at all. ><
Kitsune - Clandestine Happy Hutter.

[sigpic][/sigpic]
"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before." - Robert Lynd

#8 usamma

usamma

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1762 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

I've split the thread in regards to RXK's jenday regurgitation and humping. Please see the conure forum!
http://www.birdboard...advice-pls.html

I think you meant to post that in the mod forum. :tongue_smilie:

#9 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:01 AM

No, posted it in the right spot! Looked as if RXK had made a post in this thread asking for help, and other people were responding, but it may have been an accidental thread merge! Oops! :lol:
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#10 hollyhawkz

hollyhawkz

• Members
  • 6043 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:09 AM

This thread "Factory Farming Approach Takes Toll" was in articles and conures and both were merged into articles by me. This http://www.birdboard...advice-pls.html is a completely different thread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wawa - Black Capped, Pepper - Cherry Head (missing:sniff:), Nacho - Blue Headed Pionus, Poppy - Congo African Grey, Cooter - Catahoula Dog,
Andre - Daddy, Hollyhawk - Mama

Still hoping Terra's Rocky and our Pepper come home!

#11 perchingbird

perchingbird

Blessed by Birds

• Members
  • 1135 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:14 AM

Hey, I'm just glad ya'll are organizing stuff.

I'm a little anal about that and have no power here. :D
Kitsune - Clandestine Happy Hutter.

[sigpic][/sigpic]
"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before." - Robert Lynd

#12 xafsmom

xafsmom

On Hiatus!

• Members
  • 8464 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

This thread "Factory Farming Approach Takes Toll" was in articles and conures and both were merged into articles by me. This http://www.birdboard...advice-pls.html is a completely different thread.

If you read those two titles together though, it is so funny!

Taking a posting break! On Hiatus! If you need me directly for help or questions, email! Have fun guys!

Posted Image

Unweaned birds? Here ya go.

#13 hollyhawkz

hollyhawkz

• Members
  • 6043 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:19 PM

Sssiiiiccck!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wawa - Black Capped, Pepper - Cherry Head (missing:sniff:), Nacho - Blue Headed Pionus, Poppy - Congo African Grey, Cooter - Catahoula Dog,
Andre - Daddy, Hollyhawk - Mama

Still hoping Terra's Rocky and our Pepper come home!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users