• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Astrid660

Astrid660

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1676 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

I have so many ideas for bird toys after going to this site numerous times and seeing the ideas there CPTT...toy index

So far on my list for things to look for, I have:
  • finger traps
  • pony beads
  • those wicker wreath things
  • some sort of safe cotton rope
  • wiffle balls of various sizes
  • wooden shapes and blocks, undyed (may dye later with dye and alcohol)
  • those dog pull toys and some quick links - I saw a good one that utilized those
  • more popsicle sticks (they love those !)

Anyone else have some good suggestions I might be missing ? I am excited to get the supplies and get creative asap:laugh:
Posted Image

"She was not quite what you would call refined
She was not quite what you would call unrefined
She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot...or nine."

#2 Congobongo

Congobongo

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1284 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:55 PM

OMG, that is my list too! However last time I went they were out of the wicker wreaths.

Mine did though have multi colored wire ties that I use to string beads etc. through the wiffel balls and the wreaths. So that was a plus.

#3 Falsk

Falsk

Blessed by Birds

• Members
  • 1234 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:13 AM

Man. Good luck finding finger traps. I scoured my local dollar store and Walmart and couldn't find them and ended getting a bunch over at cabirdnerds.com

Be careful with cheap quick links. Make sure they're stainless steel or aluminum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 LovelySydney

LovelySydney

Preparing for Mosley

• Members
  • 7585 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:07 AM

I had no idea they sold these items at the dollar store (havent been to one since I think last christmas!). This is wonderful news!!!
Life is an adventure - live it!!

:i.muroko: Neko (painted conure) :Tafrgrey: Mosley (CAG) :greencheek: Nathan (green cheek conure)

#5 nanmadpad

nanmadpad

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

you can also get some baby toys. I bought plastic keys and rattles that i hung on dogs choke chains, my birds love them.

#6 Astrid660

Astrid660

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1676 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

Great ideas... I was rushed, sadly bf was in a hurry and wanted to get out of town.. lol but I managed to grab a few things - coffee filters, plastic beads, popsicle sticks, and from the pet store, some fruit flavoured blocks and millet spray. The birds are already enjoying some of the new toys I made. I can't wait to take pics of them later.
Posted Image

#7 Congobongo

Congobongo

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1284 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

Yes, those plastic baby decorations they use for baby showers are great! The pacifyer one's I can usually collect from the bottom of the cage, clean and reuse as well!

#8 TAGyourIT

TAGyourIT

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:22 AM

OMG, how have I never seen that website?!?!?! That is awesome, I am inspired! Considering that my Scarlet Macaw destroyed a $40 toy that I bought her YESTERDAY, I think I NEED to start making my own toys before I am in the poor house.
[FONT="Impact"]OWNED BY:

:Tafrgrey: MICAH Timneh African Grey
:macaw: JOJO Blue & Gold Macaw
:i.beni: LILLY Scarlet Macaw
:i.kieri: FIN Yellow Naped Amazon
:macaw: HANNAH Miligold Macaw

#9 Astrid660

Astrid660

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1676 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

^lol my words exactly when I discovered that site. It's very helpful!
Posted Image

#10 nanmadpad

nanmadpad

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:59 PM

:thumbup1:

OMG, how have I never seen that website?!?!?! That is awesome, I am inspired! Considering that my Scarlet Macaw destroyed a $40 toy that I bought her YESTERDAY, I think I NEED to start making my own toys before I am in the poor house.

My blue and gold has yet to destroy any of the baby rattles i put on chains. Babys toys are made strong so they dont pose a hazard for baby so there very durable, Apollo shakes the heck out of them and trys to bite the beads out but has not succeded yet. Walmart has a good selection of heavy duty ones, the highest price i paid was 4.50 for the strong ones.

#11 Panchiq

Panchiq

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:27 AM

I never thought about finger traps as a bird toy but now that I think of it, my cockatiels would LOVE that as a shredder.

#12 Deb M

Deb M

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

Great ideas! loved the link. I tried to go to our dollar store the other day to get some supplies. The doors were locked and you could see food rotting inside, the security guard said the had not paid their rent so were locked out! Guess we go to dollar tree instead of dollar store lol. The dollar store had so much more though!

:wub:Posted Image:wub:

:i.roz:Rosy 3-11-2010
Hali Rescued 4-15-2010 -8-2-2011 RIP sweet one
Sky Blue 2-2010-to a new home with other parakeets
:greencheek:Jaed 9-17-2010
Ollie and Fuzzy Crazy Quakers 6-5-2011

#13 wench5312

wench5312

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

What type of things can I use for shreding. Seems my Quaker loves to shred his newspaper on the bottom of the cage. He is afraid of his shadow hehe.
He has no inerest in a couple things in his cage so I am going to take them out and replace them with the things you guys have been talking about.

#14 wench5312

wench5312

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

Try Party Mart type stores. Lots of those there.
How do you attach coffee filters? I don't want my Quaker to poop on it if it falls on the bottom.

#15 angelbunnie13182

angelbunnie13182

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

I have so many ideas for bird toys after going to this site numerous times and seeing the ideas there CPTT...toy index

So far on my list for things to look for, I have:

• finger traps
  • pony beads
  • those wicker wreath things
  • some sort of safe cotton rope
  • wiffle balls of various sizes
  • wooden shapes and blocks, undyed (may dye later with dye and alcohol)
  • those dog pull toys and some quick links - I saw a good one that utilized those
  • more popsicle sticks (they love those !)

Anyone else have some good suggestions I might be missing ? I am excited to get the supplies and get creative asap:laugh:

WOW! What a terrific site! Thanks for sharing!! And all the ideas about the dollar store!! WOnderful!! Can't wait to go out and get some more things for my toys!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users