• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JNS

JNS

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

My wife and I were visiting my family in Upstate NY over the holiday, and of course we found a great aviary in the area that we had to check out. Other than the huge amount we spent on toys, and the gorgeous Catalina Macaw we played with, they had two Pied African Crows. I had never seen one in person, but they are quite striking. All black except a white chest. The oddest part was how well they could mimic! The larger one was giving us the news report and he was jumping around his huge enclosure.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this type of bird? We are not ever considering purchasing one, but I would love to hear more about these guys.

#2 Greycloud

Greycloud

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Probation
  • 2370 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:02 AM

Many of the corvids make excellent pets. They have excellent talking abilities as do starlings. I worked with many ravens and crws when I did wildlife rehab and when I worked at the zoo. They do need huge aviaries in captivity.
Posted Image

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
And never stops at all.
By Emily Dickinson

Thank you Teresa for the beautiful Siggie!

#3 jess_hawk

jess_hawk

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:28 AM

I worked with some at my internship. I really enjoyed working with most of the corvids they have, even with their big strong beaks.
One of the pied crows was really friendly and loved saying "Hello" and "Go to your perch." The others were friendly, too, just one was pretty shy and one was not a fan of me in particular.

#4 Birdgirl1979

Birdgirl1979

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

Crows and ravens are incredibly smart. I've worked with both a pied crow and raven before. You may need to check state laws though to see if you can legally own them or if you need a permit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

April

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip! -Will Rogers :38:

#5 JNS

JNS

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

After doing a bit of research, it seems as though they are popular as pets. I still don't want one, but it's interesting to see what some people keep as pets. For whatever reason a Macaw beak doesn't make me nervous, but there was something about watching that old Hitchcock movie and seeing that Crow that made me cringe a bit!

#6 starlingLOVE

starlingLOVE

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

I have a raven/Crow and a Starling both very friendly and those big beaks are for kisses and beak to head bumps and snuggles and u cant forget the old chip bag opener hehe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users