• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chinniechantel

chinniechantel

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

I am mixing up my first big batch of dye, and could use some help. I searched for this but can't seem to find the answer. Where is the cheapest place to buy rubbing alcohol? I need like 20 liters or so, and walmart is a few bucks per bottle. I was hoping to find a cheaper place. Any suggestions, or places where I can at least buy it in larger quantities?

Also, since most rubbing alcohol is 70% does that mean I just dump out one ounce of a bottle and add the dye, or what? That is what I gather from previous posts and the vitacritter website instructions.

When I dye things, do I brush them, dunk them, or what? Do I need to let the stuff soak in the alcohol mixture or not? About how long does it take to dry? The fids and I thank you!
Posted Image

#2 Michelle & Fids

Michelle & Fids

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1256 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:39 AM

I buy my alcohol from Sam's Club, can't remember at the moment what it costs, but it is cheaper then Walmart.

Most people do dump out 1 oz of alcohol and add 1 oz of color. I use all the alcohol (I hate to waste) and just add a drop or two more color until I'm happy with what I get.

I dunk my large wood with bbq tongs or a slotted spoon for the smaller wood. It only needs a dunk, no need to soak. It dries pretty quick, I would say it is darn close to dry within an hr.

Don't forget the runner gloves or you will have pretty colored hands for a few days:)

Posted Image

Meet the Flock www.fortheloveofbirds.com

#3 chinniechantel

chinniechantel

I COULD WRITE A BOOK!

• Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thank you so much Michelle! I have a costco membership so I will see if they have it there. I may try the dollar store too.
Posted Image

#4 carolz7

carolz7

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

I usually just buy it at the Dollar Store like 4 or 5 bottles at a time. Just thought i would mention it.
crazyforbirdtoys.com

#5 LovelySydney

LovelySydney

Preparing for Mosley

• Members
  • 7585 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

I buy mine at the liquor store, usually a case at a time, maybe a fifth. LOl just kidding its friday Im kind of looooooopy, ready for the weekend!!

Im assuming youre making some toys? very cool! Id love to get into that one day. let me know how it goes, maybe I can buy some off you =)
Life is an adventure - live it!!

:i.muroko: Neko (painted conure) :Tafrgrey: Mosley (CAG) :greencheek: Nathan (green cheek conure)

#6 jenseits

jenseits

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 2967 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

I buy mine at the liquor store, usually a case at a time, maybe a fifth.

ROTFL. A fifth indeed.

Posted Image
-------------------------------------------
Mika, White Capped Pionus | Stewie, Sun Conure
-------------------------------------------
Best in Flock parrot blog
Featured posts:
- Parrot Dominance - A False Construct
- How Loud is a Screaming Sun Conure?
- Clicker Training Misconceptions
- Parrots Never Bite for "No Reason"
- Clicker Training for Birds - Book Review

#7 r2rusmc

r2rusmc

Failed Diplomacy 101

• Banned
  • 1454 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

I get mine at local farm supply by the gallon. Darned if I can remember the costs though.

Posted Image

#8 carolz7

carolz7

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

I was tempted to say liquor store but then i thought let me be helpful instead and not a smarty pants. lol. It is a lot of fun coloring your own wood for toy making. I use to buy te dye on line but now i found food coloring does the job just fine.
crazyforbirdtoys.com

#9 Spinderella

Spinderella

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

I was tempted to say liquor store but then i thought let me be helpful instead and not a smarty pants. lol. It is a lot of fun coloring your own wood for toy making. I use to buy te dye on line but now i found food coloring does the job just fine.

You use the Wilton's Icing Dye? (I see it in the second picture) I used that, too, back when I would make my own bird toys. I couldn't get ANYTHING to dye with that stuff!! Soft pine, louffa, rawhide.. Nothing! Everyone else seems to have such great luck with it.

#10 carolz7

carolz7

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

Spinerella that is not my favorite dye i just bought it one time because i needed the hot pink for my little Cockapoo girl bird. My preference is just the plain old simple food coloring. The widtons took forever to stir and try and mix with the alcohol but finally was okay and got my stuff colored. Another secret i got from a friend is to bake it afterwards not sure if anyone does that. Bake in 250 o oven for about 30 minutes. Dry fast and you get brighter colors and kill anything that you might have missed with the alcohol.
crazyforbirdtoys.com

#11 LovelySydney

LovelySydney

Preparing for Mosley

• Members
  • 7585 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

Yeah I guess Im a smarty pants - I couldnt resist, lol. Carol those toys look awesome!! I need to start getting creative in 2010.
Life is an adventure - live it!!

:i.muroko: Neko (painted conure) :Tafrgrey: Mosley (CAG) :greencheek: Nathan (green cheek conure)

#12 Spinderella

Spinderella

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Spinerella that is not my favorite dye i just bought it one time because i needed the hot pink for my little Cockapoo girl bird. My preference is just the plain old simple food coloring. The widtons took forever to stir and try and mix with the alcohol but finally was okay and got my stuff colored. Another secret i got from a friend is to bake it afterwards not sure if anyone does that. Bake in 250 o oven for about 30 minutes. Dry fast and you get brighter colors and kill anything that you might have missed with the alcohol.

You mix alcohol w/ the Wilton's dye? Maybe that's why mine never worked?! I tried regular food coloring and that never worked, and the Wilton's only made my toys pale, so I gave up on making my own toys, altogether!

Good idea w/ baking it! I am going to give this another shot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 Birdtoyman2

Birdtoyman2

My Bird is An Honor Student at BirdBoard

• Members
  • 870 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

Ok I usually dont give up my trade secrets but, if you are cutting pieces of 2 x 4's sand each piece of wood before you dye it.. I use Wiltons and hot water. Much cheaper than buying Vita Critter and rubbing alcohol. Wood balls, spools popsickle sticks and other shapes you buy at the craft store dont need to be sanded. I have a belt sander so it goes pretty fast.

Posted Image
Best wishes- Sam & Fids
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 TuckerZ

TuckerZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Thank you!!

#15 TexasAggie

TexasAggie

BirdBoard Junkie

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

I tried using the wiltons and alcohol too... couldn't get it to even pick up a hint of color! I'll try again with hot water and sanding it.... :D
:i.beni: Howdy - male green-winged macaw hatched 6/12/10
:animal18: Dixie - chocolate labrador retriever born 11/2001
:animal18: Gunner - black labrador retriever born 09/2004

#16 TuckerZ

TuckerZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

I buy big bottles at walmart, and use Wiltons. I make 2-3 x the amount and do bulk amounts of wood. I either store it in zip lock or Tupperware type container. I take itout with tongs and let them dry on a plastic table cloth. I refrigerate the rest. Also, I add some water to make it last. I do about 1/2 water 1/2 rubbing alcohol. It works as well as vita critter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users