• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 expressmailtome

expressmailtome

I Live, Eat & Sleep BirdBoard

• Members
  • 5198 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

I just checked your website and we should be honored to see her before she is shown on your aviary's site!

Matt
Michael- Blue Throated Macaw

#22 mackenzie

mackenzie

Certified BirdBoard Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:43 AM

Holy mackerel, what a feathered gem!

#23 Fuzz

Fuzz

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

Gosh - how unusual! She's beautiful! :wub: I'm not really up in breeding, but just wondered why she is called a Lutino? I thought Lutinos were yellow (thinking about budgies)? Or is it a description of a lack of pigment? :blushing:
Fuzzy

Posted Image

#24 ralphtran

ralphtran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

but just wondered why she is called a Lutino? I thought Lutinos were yellow (thinking about budgies)? Or is it a description of a lack of pigment? :blushing:

Lutino refers to a mutation in which there is a 100% elimination in the production of eumelanin. Because the psittacine is unaffected by this mutation, areas which contain psittacine (red) stays unaltered.

The blue areas on a normal dusky pionus is the result of a lack of psittacine, which creates the blue colration in those areas. With a reduction/elimination of eumelanin as well caused the lutino gene, those areas end up white. In normally green parrots (such as budgies) these green areas contain psittacine, so when you take away the eumelanin, you're still left with the psittacine, which is why you see the yellow.

#25 Fuzz

Fuzz

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

Lutino refers to a mutation in which there is a 100% elimination in the production of eumelanin. Because the psittacine is unaffected by this mutation, areas which contain psittacine (red) stays unaltered.

The blue areas on a normal dusky pionus is the result of a lack of psittacine, which creates the blue colration in those areas. With a reduction/elimination of eumelanin as well caused the lutino gene, those areas end up white. In normally green parrots (such as budgies) these green areas contain psittacine, so when you take away the eumelanin, you're still left with the psittacine, which is why you see the yellow.

I see! Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it so clearly. :thumbup1: Very interesting! So when you say you are hoping it is a sex-linked mutation, do you mean that any female off-spring might be Lutino too?
Fuzzy

Posted Image

#26 ralphtran

ralphtran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

I see! Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it so clearly. :thumbup1: Very interesting! So when you say you are hoping it is a sex-linked mutation, do you mean that any female off-spring might be Lutino too?

Sex-linked is a mode of inheritance. It means that the gene responsible for this mutation is found on one of the sex chromosomes. For example, in humans each person contains 23 pairs of chromosomes. Of the 23 pairs, one of these pairs determines the sex. (XX for females and XY for males). This is the same with birds (however, the symbols used are different). So when a mutation is said to be sex-linked, it means that the gene for the mutation occurs on one of these sex-chromosomes.

Such mutations are quicker and easier to establish and require minimal (if any) inbreeding in order to establish. A male from a pairing such as mine (a visual female paired to a normal male) will produce all heterozygous male offspring (i.e. "split"). One of these heterozygous males paired to an unrelated normal hen will produce a percentage of visual hens and a percentage of heterozygous ("split") males. While "quicker" to establish, with the larger parrots, the generation time of course makes it a rather long process to establish a mutation.

(Note: In birds, the case is the opposite than it is for humans, a male bird is ZZ and a female bird is ZW (means the same as it does with humans, only the symbols are different for birds)

Hope that helps.

#27 Fuzz

Fuzz

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

How very interesting. Thanks very much for the lesson! :thumbup1:
Fuzzy

Posted Image

#28 Scully

Scully

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:31 AM

I would be excited too, shes beautiful

#29 Monica

Monica

Passion for Parrots!

• Moderators
  • 22118 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:17 AM

I must say, I feel pretty privelaged! :thumbup1:

In the first picture, can we say that the colorations are pretty close as to how she appears in person? I would be interested in some pictures using natural lighting once you get a chance!

Not to take the light off of Peaches, but a quick question for you Ralph.... do you know anything about a potential pied mutation in nanday conures?

Fuzz, genetically she is a lutino, as Ralph explained. Whiteface cockatiels and whitetailed african greys are genetically blue by the same standards as Peaches is genetically a lutino, regardless of the fact that she does not appear yellow, nor do the whiteface cockatiels or whitetailed greys appear blue. There's also blue galahs, but I don't know where the image is... and it's not one mutation I'm crazy about (although it's not a good image, either).
Monica & Fids (Fids = Feathered Kids)

Posted Image

#30 ralphtran

ralphtran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Here are some new photos, taken this weekend.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 expressmailtome

expressmailtome

• Members
  • 5198 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

She looks beautiful! Her coloring is amazing!

Matt
Michael- Blue Throated Macaw

#32 dmiller91

dmiller91

• Members
  • 2396 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Gorgeous bird.
Diane

"All my life I wanted to be someone. I should have been more specific" Jane Wagner

#33 bumblebuddy

bumblebuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

Have you been successful in getting any more lutinos out of the breedings?

#34 bumblebuddy

bumblebuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

Have you been successful in getting any more lutinos out of the breedings?

Whoops to that. I definitely spaced out and didn't look at the time stamps.

#35 myTOOcents

myTOOcents

My Bird(s) Own Me!

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

It's OK bumblebuddy!! We're all excited and waiting in anticipation for some of these beauties!! Pobably going to be a long wait! :yawn:
:i.batan: LUNA G2
:duskypionus: BRONSON Bronze Wing Pionus
:i.hiwa: ATLAS Military Macaw

#36 canmitch1971

canmitch1971

New Member Of BirdBoard.Com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Wow she is great!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic